Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #21
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Good question. Your best bet is look in the Yellow Pages for your area or do an internet search. It comes in different densities but for what you want, the cheapest will do.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 11:39 PM   #22
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

David

You are doing a fantastic job with the effects. Best of luck with the launch - but please be careful!

I will also have a look at the slow motion software, so thanks for posting the link, as the best I could manage comes with the Avio editing machine and I wasn't brave enough (and the neighbours wouldd probably have complained anyway) to try any real pyrotechnics. I used talcum powder and blew air through an airbrush canister to disturb it and then slowed down the resultant "exhaust/smoke".

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 12:16 AM   #23
Mola Rob
Computer Technician

Cool stuff and as someone already mentioned this is how it should be done. Can't wait to see it all come together.
Mola Rob is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 04:29 AM   #24
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Nicely done..
Great to see these basic skills used so effectively.

When do you graduate? Will you travel for work?
Alpha's last child is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 04:33 AM   #25
Alpha's last child
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
If all goes to plan, next Mon/Tue I'll be filming the rocket launch. This will also be filmed in the same sort of way as the Century21 effects. I'll be even more nervous for that shoot because there's the risk of something going wrong with the pyrotechnics and destroying my models.
What are you going to use for pyro charges? Going for a thrustless charge? Making the engines yourself? (Hehe..)
Alpha's last child is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #26
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. I was going to have water overflowing, but on the day I just decided to leave it. The first problem was that it was a real headache getting the tank to be level, so the water wouldn't nesesarily overflow at the horizon. I was going to have someone pour water in with a watering can to make it overflow, but everyone was busy on the day, so I was by myself. So in the end I've just decided that would solve the problem by compositing a tiny matte image of a horizon in the editing program.
I think the only side you really need to worry about being level (with water running over it) is the side you want the horizon to be. The other sides don't matter as much, if they're not photographed/filmed). Still, it's a wonderful-looking project so far.

Dana
cmdrkoenig67 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #27
Liberator
Eagle Pilot

Quote:

Oh, by the way DX-SFX, I can remember you gave me the tip of using polystyrene to construct model rock faces etc. I've had a good hard look and I've not really found any. Do you know where I might get it?

Thanks London control!
If you want some free stuff, try electrical appliance outlets. You'll get all sorts of interesting shapes. Cut and glue and shape.
Liberator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #28
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Or buy a TV or computer. I have tons here from the new computer, but that doesn't help you. Ask if any hardware shops have some in their rubbish, or supermarkets, or Ikea or factories/ businesses in your local industrial estate, that sort of thing.... or ask your friends if they've got any.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #29
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

In Adobe Premiere, you can slow shots down but it doesn't extrapolate and produce the frames inbetween. This leads to an obviously slowed down picture but I've found if you apply a slight contrast, or colour, or brightness adjustment (it doesn't matter which), it seems to smooth things out a bit as a result of rerendering it. Might be worth trying in other software.

If you get stuck finding polystyrene, screw up some newspaper and lay wet Kleenex tissue or paper towel on it (not loo roll because that's designed to disintegrate in water) soaked in wallpaper paste and sculpt it roughly into the shape you want. When it's dry you can then spray it with water and chuck cement powder at it. There's always the railway modeller's favourite of plaster soaked bandage too although it's cheaper to buy your own linen and plaster of paris separately, and you can still apply the cement powder trick afterwards. Poly is the quickest when time is important but there are several alternatives if time is your own.
Old 24-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #30
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Adobe After Effects can slow down film as well, but not sure which method is used (perhaps the same as Premiere?) and I'm not sure how the Avio does it, but it is limited to x2, x3 etc. so not infinitely adjustable.

Keith

Old 24-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #31
David
Astrophysics Technician

Well, I took my ocean footage into college today and put it into slow motion using Final Cut Express. I slowed it down 3 times and used the frame blending option. I also did some image ajustments like DX-SFX recommended. The results actually look surprisingly smooth, and I would say 3Xslow is just enough to get away with.

Quote:
I used talcum powder and blew air through an airbrush canister to disturb it and then slowed down the resultant "exhaust/smoke".
That sounds cool Keith! Was this for one of the photos on your site? I did something similar with fullers earth, CO2 cartridges, and a milenium falcon toy!

Quote:
When do you graduate? Will you travel for work?
Well fingers crossed I'll be going to study animation in Edinburgh next year. I'd definately travel to do SFX work because it would be a dream. Why? Are you the head of ILM?

Quote:
What are you going to use for pyro charges? Going for a thrustless charge? Making the engines yourself? (Hehe..)
I'm actually going to be using estes C6-0 model rocket engines, modified by myself to make them thrustless and more spectacular. I guess its basically the same sort of idea as the schermuly (is that how you spell it) rockets the C21 guys used, except it's a bit bigger.

Quote:
If you get stuck finding polystyrene, screw up some newspaper and lay wet Kleenex tissue or paper towel on it (not loo roll because that's designed to disintegrate in water) soaked in wallpaper paste and sculpt it roughly into the shape you want. When it's dry you can then spray it with water and chuck cement powder at it. There's always the railway modeller's favourite of plaster soaked bandage too although it's cheaper to buy your own linen and plaster of paris separately, and you can still apply the cement powder trick afterwards. Poly is the quickest when time is important but there are several alternatives if time is your own
Thats some great tips! Thanks DX-SFX and everyone else for your help with the the polystyrene.
David is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #32
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I've just been to Wickes and they've got 3" thick sheets of poly they sell as insulation. It's a bit on the thin side but of course that depends what scale you're working at.
Old 24-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #33
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Quote:
That sounds cool Keith! Was this for one of the photos on your site? I did something similar with fullers earth, CO2 cartridges, and a milenium falcon toy
No, it was for a small Moonbase Alpha promotional video (prior to Breakaway) (Space:2001) extolling the virtues of planetary exploration (in this case a landing on Europa). It really wasn't very good, but I wanted to try out the talcum powder effect of an Eagle landing and taking off, so built the film purely around that (mad I know) :-)!

I wish you all success for this project and your studies next year in Edinburgh. Give me a shout when you get up here!

Keith
Old 25-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #34
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

absolutley fantastic

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #35
David
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post

I wish you all success for this project and your studies next year in Edinburgh. Give me a shout when you get up here!

Keith
Wow! I was just about to type that i've "not got into edinburgh yet" when i got an email saying i've been accepted!. So I'll see ya up there Keith!

Thanks again everyone for the tips and help, I'll keep posting updates about how the project's going.

Old 25-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #36
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Congratulations, David!!!
Old 26-04-2008, 02:44 AM   #37
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Steve Begg had better watch out ! Was looking for a suitably Scots good luck messsage and found this celtic greeting - thought it was very appropriate for anyone contemplating a career in special effects -

(Say in a Scots accent after a few drams)

May you go forth under the strength of heaven, under the light of sun, under the radiance of moon;
May you go forth with the splendor of fire, with the speed of lightning, with the swiftness of wind;
May you go forth supported by the depth of sea, by the stability of earth, by the firmness of rock;
May you be surrounded and encircled, with the protection of the nine elements.

Slainte !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #38
David
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean View Post
Steve Begg had better watch out ! Was looking for a suitably Scots good luck messsage and found this celtic greeting - thought it was very appropriate for anyone contemplating a career in special effects -

(Say in a Scots accent after a few drams)

May you go forth under the strength of heaven, under the light of sun, under the radiance of moon;
May you go forth with the splendor of fire, with the speed of lightning, with the swiftness of wind;
May you go forth supported by the depth of sea, by the stability of earth, by the firmness of rock;
May you be surrounded and encircled, with the protection of the nine elements.

Slainte !
Heheh, Thanks very much for the good luck wishes, Air Terrainean and Keith!

Well, I'm all set to film the rocket launch, but it seems the weather is going to pose a bit of a problem. Fingers crossed the weather forecast will be wrong.
Old 28-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #39
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Remember: FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!

(OK, OK, I know he didn't actually say that....)
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #40
David
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kane View Post
Remember: FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!

(OK, OK, I know he didn't actually say that....)
Well, I didn't fail - I shot my rocket launch today (phew). Too tired tonight though, I'll post some pics some time tomorrow.