Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #101
Baggers0046
Medical Technician

It was also in the days before we had 300 channels to chose from, BBC 2 was mainly used for open University progs so that didn't count either!!!! And you had to actually walk over to the telly to turn it over!!!! those were the days!!!
Baggers0046 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:37 AM   #102
TwistedPair
Waste Technician

Default First Space 1999 Episode

I remember the first Space 1999 episode I ever saw vividly..I was a child..about 10 or 11 years old..and it was Dragon's Domain.

I had nightmares for a week about that creature with the tenticles which would suck in people
TwistedPair is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:40 AM   #103
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Weclome to the the forum TwistedPair That would be quite an intro to S99. How long did it take till you watched another?
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #104
Baggers0046
Medical Technician

I sympathise Twisted pair. I had a similar problem after watching the george Pal version of war of the Worlds for the first time. I have been suspicious about street lamps ever since.
Baggers0046 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #105
blondgod
Geological Technician

The first episode I saw was Breakaway when it first premiered here in the States. I was a huge horror fan and the horror/monster magazines I read had all done articles on S:99 before it's premiere with several gruesome shots that played up the horror angle (Death's Other Dominion, Dragons Domain, Force of Life) so I was excited to watch it. I was hooked instantly and delighted at the dark, mysterious, and often horrific universe depicted in 1999. It quickly became my favorite television series, and has remained my fave of all time.
blondgod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #106
TwistedPair
Waste Technician

Default Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
Weclome to the the forum TwistedPair That would be quite an intro to S99. How long did it take till you watched another?
Thank you for the welcome!

Oh I watched the very next episode..I was hooked. The space-craft and moonbase design were too good to pass up.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #107
TwistedPair
Waste Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers0046 View Post
I sympathise Twisted pair. I had a similar problem after watching the george Pal version of war of the Worlds for the first time. I have been suspicious about street lamps ever since.
Hmm street lamps..I don't think I've ever seen that version. In fact the only version I've evern SEEN is the 2005 version. I've own the original (VERY thick vinyl - clay?) record for the Orsen Wells broadcast, which was very scary indeed.
Old 30-05-2008, 03:14 AM   #108
William0999
Astrophysics Technician

I think the first episode I saw was Wargames. I know that the first episode to make an impact on me was Dragons Domain. The first scene with the 'dragon' killing the Ultra Probe crew was the scariest thing I had ever seen on television as a kid. Even at 38 that episode makes me jump. Still and all, you can't beat this episode for hardware. We get to see the Ultra Probe, the lunar spacedock, and a spaceship graveyard.
William0999 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #109
alienation
Eagle Pilot

I remember watching Breakaway as a little kid while playing on the floor in my Grandpa's apartment at 8 years old.
I sporatically watched Y1. I remember Dragon's Domain and Balor because they scared me horribly. It's funny, I do remmeber musical parts from lots of episodes of Y1 as a child.
But I stated before, it wasn't until Rules of Luton that I got hooked because of Maya. Then, they reran Y1 again and I caught up on it.
I always hated the fact the show was never rerun like Star Trek was.
alienation is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #110
Doomsday
Communications Officer

"Telly?.................Luxury! Neve 'ad telly int my day. Never 'ad houses int my day!
We uset' live int carboard box int middle oft' road!!"

"And every mornin' we 'ad t' lick road clean wit our tongues!!"
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #111
saintcar
Computer Technician

Luxury Doomsday, pure luxury
saintcar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 04:33 AM   #112
CR
Science Officer

Yeah, we ate dirt for meals, and we were glad to get it! We walked to school, barefoot in the snow, uphill (both ways).
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 07:42 AM   #113
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

And yea tell the kids now days and they neer believe ya.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:22 AM   #114
Eagle12
Astrophysics Technician

Default Space: 1975

I was ten back in 1975 and my younger brother and I were huge fans of UFO. We watched it every Saturday at 7pm on a Cincinnati channel but living near Dayton we often had very bad reception. I was away at 4-H camp for a week and I remember coming home to ask my brother if UFO had finally been a new episode but he told me it had be replaced with another Sci-Fi show. I was bummed but after he described the premise I was intrigued. The first episode I saw was A Matter of Life and Death and I was hooked. It had showed up at 11pm on a local Dayton station the same night so I watched both religiously, even when the Cincinnati was 80% static. It wasn't until the second run I got to see Breakaway and that sealed my fandom.

Then came the Second Series... my jaw dropped in disdain but I still watched hoping to see Bergman at least return.
Eagle12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #115
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers0046 View Post
I remember the first episode being on TV. That was in the days before the average home had a TV in each room and my mother cruelly turned it over to watch some crap on the other side!!!!!
Whoa!...Two-sided television?! Cool!

Dana

Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 04-06-2008 at 04:54 PM.
cmdrkoenig67 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2008, 01:39 AM   #116
AlphaISIS73
Geological Technician

I was only 2 years old when Space: 1999 originally aired...

with that said I must say that I also have a strange sense of memory because I DO remember MANY things from the 70s when I was that young...*My memory of specific Police Woman eps are a good example of this*...

So before I even got the dvds I remembered certain things about the show like all of the uniforms with ther color-coded sleeves...and I knew they had color collars...but it wasn't until I saw the dvds that I realized that it was only in y2 that the collars were color coded...and also the skirts...I remembered the skirts but never realized they were only in y2...I remembered the Eagles and the transport tube that went sideways...and I remembered what main mission looked like...and of course the theme music *both versions*...

Now when I got the dvds a few years back...after not having seen Space: 1999 in like almost 30 years...the first ep that rang a bell with me...as in I remembered seeing it as a child was the Space Warp *you know..the one when Maya is sick and changing into all the creatures*...I VIVIDLY remembered Maya. *although she's never really been a fav of mine*
AlphaISIS73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote