Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 05-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Default 'So what really happened to those "2001" FX miniatures?'

I thought they were all ruthlessly destroyed upon completion of filming. Apparently that's not entirely true:

'As with just about anything to do with the making of 2001, the fate of all the models is complicated and the stories that have endured are almost an urban legend.'

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=220608

- Very interesting thread at www.hobbytalk.com which I found thanks to a post in alt.movies.kubrick. There are some fascinating pictures in the thread, including one of the huge 'Discovery' model under construction. Warning: some of the anecdotes may make you cry tears of frustration.

My apologies if this is old news to anyone (I suspect some 'Eagle nuts' may already contribute to 'HobbyTalk').
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
skiffy
Communications Officer

Thanks DK! I'm a big fan of 2001, so I'll read this with interest.. I promise not to cry.. maybe.
skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

We're so lucky that so much s99 stuff was saved.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Fun Pod
Communications Officer

As someone who really appreciates that todays filmmakers make greater efforts to archive motion picture related artifacts, the above article makes some depressing reading - the ultimate fate of the 2001 space station was just dreadful . But for those interested in Kubrick/2001, there are also some very enlightening facts as well. Thanx for the link, Dr Kane
Fun Pod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

There was some b/w images of a decaying Space Station V, shot circa '71/'72 (I believe), rotting outside a tip somewhere in Hertfordshire.

Just found the link:

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/faq/h...cestation.html

Marty...

Last edited by marty_hopkirk; 08-06-2008 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Found the link....
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
skiffy
Communications Officer

...from the same link:

" Trevor Parsons writes:-
I was at college in Stevenage (about 15 miles away from St Albans in the early 1970's). Our studio, we were studying graphic art, faced the entrance to the local corporation dump. One afternoon in 1974 a truck turned up after the dump was closed & left some crates in the entrance way. They contained 2 of the models used in 2001, the space wheel & one of the pods. Of course they may not have been the only ones but I believe they were genuine (the film had been made about 20 miles away at Boreham Wood the old MGM studios). By the time I got there the pod had been taken, the space wheel damaged & taken out its wooden case. I took pictures of it, its surface had been covered with bits of old plastic construction kits to make it look more technical when filmed. I desperately wanted to take it home, but I only had a motor bike & a room 8 feet by 10 so it was not really workable. It was smashed up by kids a few days later."

'Smashed up by kids'... I wonder if those kids remember that now?? Maybe Kubrick haunts their dreams.
skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
cricket
Medical Officer

That story makes me shudder with horror.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote