Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 05-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #21
Guest01
Alphan

just a continuation of the above joke about house and not of the quality of lauch pad ,just incase anyone picks it up wrong
Guest01 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:04 AM   #22
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

DX-SFX, I agree about the lights. I want to learn how to use lighting on the big pad, seeing as I've left a two inch clearance gap under it. I've looked at some great kits recently that look absolutely stunning with lighting enhancements. If anyone knows any particular sources about that or equipment supplies please let me know.Otherwise I may have to wait until Xmas and get a set of clear tree lights! Doomsday,I like the turntable conversion, thats clever thinking. I'm going to work on a proper pad sometime in the future when I've got enough ideas about what to use.Everyone else cheers for the comments (and the jokes!).
Known Space is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:29 PM   #23
Doomsday
Communications Officer

I've got a few sets of christmas tree lights lying around.
You get them dirt cheap if you buy after December 25th.
Wide range of of led's on them as well. Some are quite large and some are tiny. I think they'll look ace.
I'm building a large pad just now. Got the basic shape cut out of wood, and cut the cross bit out. Hopefully, the lights will look great on it.
I have cut a sheet of plastic up into squares with a guilletine I bought out of Lidl's (4 Bargain!) to cover the surface of it to give it the tiling effect.
Don't know if that will look good or bad though.
Bit undecided as to whether to try that or not.
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #24
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Known Space View Post
DX-SFX, I agree about the lights. I want to learn how to use lighting on the big pad, seeing as I've left a two inch clearance gap under it. I've looked at some great kits recently that look absolutely stunning with lighting enhancements. If anyone knows any particular sources about that or equipment supplies please let me know.Otherwise I may have to wait until Xmas and get a set of clear tree lights! Doomsday,I like the turntable conversion, thats clever thinking. I'm going to work on a proper pad sometime in the future when I've got enough ideas about what to use.Everyone else cheers for the comments (and the jokes!).
Xmas tree lights are notoriously unreliable because they always seem to be wired in series so if one goes out, they all go out. What you want are clear grain of wheat bulbs available from EMA or better still Gaugemaster down in Arundel. They're a big model railway wholesaler and sell them in packs of ten or a hundred:

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_deta...=main&strType=

EMA do 3 volt and 6 volt. Gaugemaster do 12 volt which would be my preference. They do tend to get hot so you need to consider how you mount them if you're going to leave them on for any length of time. The alternative is LED's which draw less current and run cooler but you may have to solder a resistor onto each one. Maplins can supply those and if you talk to one of the bods behind the electronics counter, they should be able to tell you what resistors you need. They may even have LED's you can just wire up and go with.

If you can find some of those 50 pence illuminated keyrings, there's no reason you can't cannibalise the LED's from them. They'll probably be 3 volt but mains adapters are available to convert to 3 volt DC.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:03 AM   #25
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

DX-SFX- Thanks for the expert advice. Saves a lot of time and trouble, cheers! I've added it to my "pad build folder" .The one of the many great things about this forum is just how much experience everybody has and is willing to show in the threads. It really does help cut back with the trial and error!!!
Doomsday, I'll be very interested to see how you get along with yours. I'm trying to template the docking tunnel and get the wood cut for the outside of the launch pad ring.Then I'll work on the lunar surface but with the MDF and plaster its going to weigh alot so I may go down another route. Where do you get your plastic sheeting from to detail the outsides?

Old 07-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #26
Doomsday
Communications Officer

My pad was just 2 bits of solid circular wood I spotted while being dragged around a car boot sale
Plastic sheeting was from the local shop. (does mainly train stuff, but also does aluminium poles and various plastic shaped bits.)
I did get some thin "modelling wood" as well for the docking building.
It was the saddest, most pathetic looking thing that has ever been made
Old 07-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #27
Guest01
Alphan

dx out of curiosty how many lights are there around the pad?And a roughly what size?Sorry if its a silly question
Old 07-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #28
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

Doomsday,never mind mate, thing is you have a go and then make the next one better! Areteecee, thats a good question. I'll have a look in the catacombs and count them.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #29
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Good reference here:

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m.../umlaunch.html
Old 07-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #30
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

There are five lights per side of a square of a cross.Except for where the docking port building is which allows for only four. So there are forty three in total.Scale wise I don't know how an LCD would compare with a 12" EAGLE but they look a reasonable size on LP 1.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #31
Rdrunner
Eagle Pilot

Correct me if I'm wrong, I counted 43 lights
Rdrunner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #32
Guest01
Alphan

so would fiber optics be fitting here?one light source for so many lights would save a lot of bulbs,using a decent sized fibre with cap or lens
Old 07-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #33
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Yes, it's a good candidate for fibre optic I'd say.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #34
Guest01
Alphan

Old 07-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #35
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

In fact the more I think about it, the more I think that's a very good idea.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #36
moonbuggy
Forum Supporter

Hi
There are 45 lights on the pad and 2 lights on the docking-building.

cheers
Helge
moonbuggy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #37
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The clearest pictures I could find are of Voyager on the pad at the centre of this page. The confusion is coming from the missing lights you expect to see near the docking tube building but also as Helge points out, there are a couple on the building itself so everyone is right.... er... wrong.... sort of...

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...img/tivr4.html
Old 08-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #38
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

DX-SFX, thats a good one from the catacombs. There is a lot of pad reference there that gives me more detail for the LP centre.As I was not particularly happy with the spray can version of the pad I'm doing another using the airbrushes ,which is much more satisfactory. I didn't like the gloss orange (too bright and flat) so I've toned it down a bit with a yellow acrylic overspray, which gives it a much better effect. This is it so far.

Lines to be drawn and a bit more detailing to go in.

Last edited by Known Space; 08-05-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #39
Doomsday
Communications Officer

I was away to 48 lights but forgot about the building on one side.
Old 17-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #40
Guest01
Alphan

so,has anyone done theirs yet???