SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 31-03-2006, 11:30 PM   #1
Dave
Communications Officer

Default Space 1999 to hit big screen?

Couldn't believe I came across this the other day, in Variety:

Anyone who remembers 70’s British sitcoms such as ‘Bless this House’, ‘On The Buses’ and ‘Has Anyone Seen My Pussy?’ will remember the kooky sci-fi serial ‘Space 1999’.

Well, Hollywood certainly remember this show with a degree of fondness as they are planning a big budget remake. The original starred husband and wife team Martin Landau and Catherine Von Shell. They ran a base on the dark side of the moon, which was used to store all of Earth’s intergalactic weapons. A disaster caused the moon to be blown apart, with a small chunk of it drifting across the galaxy for the remaining 28 episodes, with the inhabitants of Alpha Base going along for the ride. The series was the brain child of Jerry Anderson, who had already made his name with puppet classics ‘Thunderbirds’, ‘Terrahawks’ and ‘Star Fleet’.

However, this new version will be a far cry from Jerry’s ‘Andy Pandy’ origins. The new version will star British comedy actor Lee Evans as the do-or-die Colonel Conegg. Also set to join the cast are German actor Klaus Von Krump as Professor Kraken and Linda Bellingham as Doctor Helena Feelgood.

After his success in bringing Jerry’s ‘Thunderbirds’ to the big screen, Jonathan Frakes (Clockstoppers) has been once again approached for the role of Director of the new film. In an interview with Variety, Jonathan admitted that before being asked to work on this project, he had indeed never even heard of ‘Space 1999’. he added, “from what I have heard, the series was quite popular in the UK, although it was kinda goofy” He continued “I plan quite a radical change for my version, although there will be a few nods to the die hard fans of the original series. He then stated that “although I don’t want to give too much away at the moment, I can tell you that we will again be using children as the primary focus of the movie”. An inside source has already confirmed that 3 unknown child actors have already being cast.

It is estimated that the film will cost around 150 million dollars to produce, but financial backers ‘Working Title’ have given it the green light, saying that it sounded like a good idea when they discussed it in the pub. Car producer ‘Ford’ have permitted the use of a modified Ford Transit to act as the moonbus style vehicles – although the hardware of the show will take a back seat against the 3 child stars. A spokesman for Working Title stated: “this move may upset the couple of fans that exist of the original show, but quite frankly I don’t give a sh*t”.

Another star of the show will be the ‘Eagles’, although in this version they will actually resemble 10-seater mini buses. Designer Doug McCorrmack stated “it’s a bit like the new Beetle and Mini. In that you could drive this on the road – unlike the original Eagles, which would look a bit odd pulling up outside the local off-licence.”

The plot of the remake is being kept a closely guarded secret, however it is likely that the film will still be based in the year 1999.
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #2
Neal
Astrophysics Technician

Default Re: Space 1999 to hit big screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Couldn't believe I came across this the other day, in Variety:
Looks more than a little tongue-in-cheek to me.
Neal is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2006, 11:45 PM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Neither can they spell Gerry. I imagine the timing of the announcement is relevant too.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
Neal
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX
Neither can they spell Gerry. I imagine the timing of the announcement is relevant too.
And they've married "Martin Landau and Catherine Von Shell".
Neal is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #5
tak5haka
Eagle Pilot

I remember ‘Has Anyone Seen My Pussy?’ very well - I believe it was on before 'Modelers World' with Bob Symes on BBC 2 (just before the 'Water Margin') ...

I for one will be backing this new production as I believe Lee Evans to be the epiphany of British comedy and would be able to pull off the 'slightly goofy' aspect very well.
tak5haka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2006, 12:32 AM   #6
Elric
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak5haka
I remember ‘Has Anyone Seen My Pussy?’ very well - I believe it was on before 'Modelers World' with Bob Symes on BBC 2 (just before the 'Water Margin') ...

I for one will be backing this new production as I believe Lee Evans to be the epiphany of British comedy and would be able to pull off the 'slightly goofy' aspect very well.
I think Lee Evans will look great running around the Moonbase, possibly shouting 'Mr.Grimsdale, Mr.Grimsdale' in Norman Wisdom style whenever the child actors turn evil and eat some of the crew.

Plywood cladding inside the Ford Cargo Eagles should be easily reproduceable with expensive Photo Etch sets once we get modelling them.
Elric is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:38 AM   #7
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I think our inllustrious leader has already been hired as art director and the Pod-U-Like contest is merely a ploy to come up with some fresh designs.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:01 AM   #8
Eagle
Commander Ret.

A Space 1999 spoof, eh? Much better than a serious hack by Hollywood (which I hope never happens).

Hmmm, what date is it today?... ...
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:29 AM   #9
Elric
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle

A Space 1999 spoof, eh? Much better than a serious hack by Hollywood (which I hope never happens).

Hmmm, what date is it today?... ...
oh c'mon, think of all the cutesy robots, human interest story lines and moral messages that Hollywood would bring to "Space 1999 the Movie"
Elric is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:56 AM   #10
Eagle
Commander Ret.

No thanks!
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2006, 05:09 AM   #11
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

How about :

Space:2029 - The Musical

A moonbase called Alpha tucked inside a crater,
A Pyschon who metamorphs into darth vader,
Shining white spaceships... held up with strings,
...these are a few of my favorite things......
john_trek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:19 AM   #12
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Y'know I am seriously starting to worry about some of the people posting on this forum, its not catching is it.

I think the only thing to do is shout out the ancient 1st of April, the errr thingy saying for whatever reason.

White Rabbits White Rabbit White Rabbits......

Why did/do people do that on 1st April, any one have any idea.

Mind you a 200ft tall white rabbit attacking either Moonbase Alpha or the Alphan's on a new planet would look cool, and it WOULD have fitted in somewhere in season 2 with no problem, perhaps a lost episode right after The Rules of Luton for example.

Bugger I think I caught it......
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #13
Ketzer.com

Very cool. ILM can then do some really nice chromed space ships. Forget cool looking eagles...

Tim
  Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #14
Dave
Communications Officer

For those who didn't guess, yes, it was my lame idea of an April Fools joke!!

It does tickle me though, when these articles get their facts completely wrong - even spelling Gerry's name wrong in some cases!
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:36 PM   #15
BlackBirdCD
Geological Technician

Simon Pegg should take this on as a remake some day.
BlackBirdCD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote