Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 09-08-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Default '60s rock fans, please watch this

Vanessa Amorosi - one of Australia's finest singers - maybe, perhaps, kinda.... sort of... outdoes Janis Joplin.

No sci-fi connection here, just... wow. Wow.

I'm proud to be Australian.

Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:44 PM   #2
Doug_H
Eagle Pilot

You can't outdo the original but she is very good.
Doug_H is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
CR
Science Officer

Haven't watched the video yet, but in my opinion, a cat dragging its claws across a chalkboard could outdo Janis Joplin, one of the most overrated singers of any decade. (Yeah, I know, how do I really feel about her? )

Anyway, I'll be sure to check out the video when I have time.

Edited to add:
Heck with it, made the time & watched it right away. Amorosi can certainly belt out the lyrics, and seems to have a bit of vocal range. I'd like to hear more of her stuff to see what else she can do.
I can't help but think that Joplin might have sounded this good had she taken better care of herself...
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:19 AM   #4
alienation
Eagle Pilot

On the even of her death back in the early 90s (I think it had been 15 years at that point) I was hanging with a bunch of hippies at a local coffee house in Ferndale having a session.
One girl I had been seeing around that scene for a while started talking to me, and at one point she asked me if I wanted to do a ritual with her for Janis.
I said no. I had no sympathy for how she died, and I had several friends who had gone that route and am still angry and disgusted with them.
I still think if she did take better care of herself, she could have sounded much much better.
The funny thing is I keep getting told I look like her. (I do dress like her, but not intentionally.) I get the nickname "Janis" or "Joplan" a lot from bikers mostly. (I bet I sound worse when I sing though)
alienation is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:58 AM   #5
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Ms Amorosi had a likeable but fairly bland pop hit called 'Absolutely Everybody'. It became massively over-exposed Down Under, but unfortunately it didn't really show her range. I'm afraid I mentally filed her under 'Easy Listening/Teen Pop/Harmless' until I saw her perform an astounding version of 'Amazing Grace' during a televised Christmas concert. That's partly why I wrote 'wow' about this video - the element of surprise once again.

I still can't say I'm a die-hard fan of hers, and I don't normally care for Janis Joplin at all. However, I stumbled upon this video (I was looking for something else entirely) and was very, very impressed. I think she should do more material in this vein.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2008, 05:46 AM   #6
hark40
Travel Tube Technician

She was really really big in around 2000(?) with her first album, and then she vanished. Case of being way over-exposed. If you listen to her first album, there are a couple of tracks there which really shows the phenomenal range that she has, which you can also get from this video. From memory Mark Holden "discovered" her singing in a Russian restaurant in Melbourne. He also co-wrote a lot of her songs as well. One of her songs (Shine) was also used in Ansett commercials just before that airline collapsed. A new album has just been released as she has a new single (Perfect) which is getting a little bit of airplay.
hark40 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote