SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #21
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS88 View Post
...hunt for good original toys rather than restore beaters with repro-parts which usually cost more than a complete original
Sooooo true!
akoenig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 03:47 AM   #22
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Id you can find really good nick Batmobiles for that price buy them, buy them all, because people will pay big money for the good ones. I don't do up wrecks because I'm a collector, I do them up because I like restoring them. They usually don't need too many parts and there's a great deal of satisfaction in making them look as good if not better than when they started. Buying good originals is way out of my price range.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 07:13 AM   #23
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
Id you can find really good nick Batmobiles for that price buy them, buy them all, because people will pay big money for the good ones. I don't do up wrecks because I'm a collector, I do them up because I like restoring them. They usually don't need too many parts and there's a great deal of satisfaction in making them look as good if not better than when they started. Buying good originals is way out of my price range.
100% with you Tony, BUT... (always, always a but)...
I'm a newbie restoring die-cast, and I've spent the past two weeks ebaying on-line wrecks, because I thought that if I was going to restore the thing, what use would be to pay more for a good looking one?

The problem is that you pay, say, £ 5 for a complete wreck (no tyres, no figures, no plastic details, no glaze) and maybe £12 / £15 for a slightly better one but with wheels, etc...

If you stay with the £5 one, you'll pay much more than the £10 difference with the better one in replacement parts.
akoenig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 07:22 AM   #24
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Yes, totally correct. You have to look for the crappy ones that have basically everything on them. Fab 1 is quite easy to fix as you are usually only looking at the two pieces of windscreen, the steering wheel and the two figures.

That in itself is not cheap, but cheaper than trying to buy a reasonable one. These would be the most sort after vehicles and people will pay stupid prices for good ones. The only other thing you can replace with an after market one is the front grill, and that's only to get the flying lady. I just made a new one for mine.

The thing is to hunt patiently and wait till the end of auctions before bidding on stuff. Also if you see a really good BIN grab it. I once picked up a batmobile and batboat with trailer (usually around $150-$200) for $50. Everything spot on... I thought for 5 mins and grabbed. The other thing to do is wait for the weeks when nothing's going for very much. Batmobiles got very cheap for a while after some really big sales and it was like Christmass, now they're expensive again.
Old 23-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #25
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Finding one that's still got the radiator mascot is the thing.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-08-2008, 07:02 AM   #26
SMS88
Waste Technician

As a general rule I find ebay is much more expensive than flea markets,boot sales or jumble sales, and a bit more expensive than toyfairs, although when sellers havent sold enough,in the last hour I have grabbed some great bargains in the past,equal to those fluke ebay auctions when nobody else bids.
Here are my 3 FAB1 - the very nice one (with the rare Spot-On wheels but missing mascot) cost me £10 c2000 at a toyfair -other collectors had rejected it because 1 hinge of the canopy is broken -doesnt bother me because I can open it up and get a better look at Parker & M“lady anytime
The other pair came from jumble sales at about £5 each ( i cant remember prices paid for the ones I dont find very special)-the flourescent one had been painted black by a child so I decided to make this rare Dinky variation for myself as they rarely turn up anywhere- the other car required repro figures and homemade numberplates but otherwise is as it was when I bought it.
I have sold on at least 6 rubber tyre Batmobiles in c8-c9 condition for £15-30 having paid £6-£12 as well as having most variations except the various black whizzwheels issues in my collection,mostly close to mint and none costing more than £15 - just be patient and look about locally - Corgi made 7 million 1966-1980 -they turn up everywhere!
SMS88 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #27
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Nice examples there. I really like the fluro paint work you did. You're quite right about the fairs, the trouble in my part of the world is that very often these types of vehicles don't actually appear and the prices aren't anywhere near as good as the ones you've found. As you say, you have to watch and be patient. Mind you here we go through enough fuel getting to the markets to make it worth going through ebay.