Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #41
eagleman
Astrophysics Technician

Things are fine here,thank you. Fortunately,I live more than 200 miles inland even though Hanna is projected to make landfall on the North Carolina coast and move north along the Eastern Seaboard. We'll probably get some wind and rain but not as much as they'll probably have farther east.

Last edited by eagleman; 04-09-2008 at 11:25 AM.
eagleman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #42
Hawk
Communications Officer

My family is returning from where they evac'd too. Unfortunately, since they didn't leave the state but only moved further inland, they did not fare much better than we did here closer to the coast. Power is out all over the state so they have decided to come home figuring if they are going to be hot and miserable and in the dark, they'd just as soon doing it in their own home.

Fortunately, I think I will be able to do better than that for them. I have a generator and have secured enough gasoline (petrol!) to run it for 2.5-3.5 days. It won't run much...maybe the fridge, a lamp, and a small A/C unit, but it will be enough if we live out of one room. 5 people and 2 dogs whose combined weight is over 100 lbs. THAT should be interesting...

I hope that power will be back by the time the fuel runs out or that enough gas stations will be up and running that I can refuel. I will be going home today to set that up for them, then returning to work Friday, then home for the weekend.

No Internet access, of course, so I will only be able to read/post during the few hours I'll be at work tomorrow.
Hawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #43
Hawk
Communications Officer

We got power back today--and Internet access! Wow, are there a lot of new posts on the forum!

I can't believe that Hurricane Ike's track is centered directly on New Orleans. Louisiana cannot stand another hit...not so soon.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:17 AM   #44
eagleman
Astrophysics Technician

Hanna blew by this morning and gave us some much-needed rain along with a little wind. I saw the news and the mention of Ike. I'm keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers in the Gulf coast area. My sister lives in Houston so I'm sure she's watching closely,having lived through some hurricanes.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:58 AM   #45
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
We got power back today--and Internet access! Wow, are there a lot of new posts on the forum!
Good news about the power!

Quote:
I can't believe that Hurricane Ike's track is centered directly on New Orleans. Louisiana cannot stand another hit...not so soon.
Ike is a scary one. I fear the best we can hope for is wherever it hits, it'll be 'only' a category 2.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2008, 03:08 AM   #46
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

What a crappy Autumn/Fall for you guys... almost as bad as your elections Seriously though, the prayers continue.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:51 AM   #47
skiffy
Communications Officer

Hawk, I'm glad you've managed to cope thus far - and I sincerely hope that things improve soon.

I just returned to the UK from a two week vacation in Orlando. We had a rough outward landing, in the tail winds of 'Fay', but Gustav passed us by for the most part. There was substantial flooding in Sanford, just north of where we were - with gators and snakes in the deeper flood water.

I get a sense of what you're going through, and for all who live in the path of these things - our thoughts are with you.

Last edited by skiffy; 07-09-2008 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Jetlag is keeping me awake at 4:52 in the morning....
skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #48
eagleman
Astrophysics Technician

Hawk,it looks like you and Louisiana dodged a bullet this time but I am thinking about my sister,who lives in Houston,and others in East Texas. My thoughts and prayers are with you all in Ike's path.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #49
Hawk
Communications Officer

While all of us in Louisiana are breathing a sigh of relief, we are well aware that if it doesn't come here it is going to impact our neighbors. A lot of people I know say that they always feel guilty praying that storms miss their homes because they know it only means someone else is going to suffer instead. The Gulf Coast is one big community during hurricane season and we worry about everyone.

Our governor has praised Texas for the assistance they rendered during Gustav. I hope that we are recovered enough to return that favor for Ike.
Old 13-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #50
eagleman
Astrophysics Technician

The Houston area is feeling the full brunt of Ike right now. I am concerned about my sister and her family. Keeping any Alphans and everybody in Houston and throughout Texas in my thoughts and prayers. Stay safe.

Old 13-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #51
eagleman
Astrophysics Technician

My sister called this morning and she's OK,along with my brother-in-law and my niece. They had slight damage on their roof and they have no power but they're OK. Thoughts and prayers for all in the Texas area.

Last edited by eagleman; 13-09-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 13-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #52
Hawk
Communications Officer

Glad to hear that, Eagleman. I know that sense of relief you are feeling very well!

Damage to Texas and SW Louisiana seems pretty extensive. Massive flooding and millions without power. I'm really scared to hear about loss of life since so many people appear to have tried to ride this one out.
Old 13-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #53
eagleman
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks,Hawk.
Old 13-09-2008, 11:49 PM   #54
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Awful weather all round over there. Glad to hear everything is ok with you guys.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote