Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #21
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu73 View Post
Well Jeff wayne and the show's producer were standing in front of the camera at the time looking into it; and the former even took pictures for me...
The actual performance was controlled by the rules of the venue itself, i.e. NO Pictures what so ever in SECC but at the NEC it was simply NO FLASH photography
That's a slightly different issue. Assuming that Jeff Wayne was apparently OK with it, then I'd say you were covered. In that particular case, by implication, you had been granted permission by the copyright holders so no foul.

But going back to the original point, that particular case is not related to your initial comment.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu73 View Post
ONLY if you are selling them
....... i.e. just because you don't charge a fee for something, doesn't make it legal to duplicate a copyrighted work without the rights owners permission.

Last edited by DX-SFX; 23-09-2008 at 04:42 PM.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 12:16 PM   #22
Stu73
Communications Officer

Well, I am only going by what I had read from a Home DVD magazine from about 3 years ago. According to this publication, it was a case of sharing stuff fine, selling stuff not good.
Maybe I have picked up wrongly.

I must run home and tell Sammy that SSS:III cant be made cause Space:1999 is all owned Granada!
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #23
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I assume you misread it or misunderstood it as I'd be surprised if a commercial DVD magazine would make such a gaf. It is definitely not legal to reproduce a copyrighted work for others regardless whether you charge for it or give it away free unless you have the rights owners permission or you are the rights owner.

If Jeff Wayne said something to you along the lines of "as long as you're not selling it...", I'm pretty sure he was assuming it to be for your own personal use only. He wasn't literally saying it was OK to do with it as you will providing you don't charge anything for it. He was probably just checking that you weren't doing it with the sole intention of selling it to other people.
Old 24-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #24
Stu73
Communications Officer

Does that mean that technically I could be sued by Granada Ventures for my teaser trailer, cause it's on Youtube?
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #25
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Yes, but very, very unlikely in the extreme. I think the studios have a never ending battle trying to stop unauthorised videos appearing although you do see some videos being removed. In practice, you're unlikely to get into any trouble. I don't think Granada put as much value on the Anderson stuff as they would to a new movie or other commercially sensitive project.