Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #41
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Any more format ideas from anyone? I think the focus for generating format ideas should be to worry most about the format (the general concept) and least about story details. The format should work well to facilitate story generation without self-limiting the stories. Once we choose a format, then we can move on to story specifics.

Anybody?
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #42
AceMartini
Communications Officer

So here are the short versions of the format ideas so far:

1. Probeship with near-future technology with scavenged alien propulsion technology leaves dead Earth behind and heads for distant planets.

2. City in space accidentally uses new propulsion technology and ends up in an unknown part of the galaxy and jumps from solar system to solar system looking for the way back home or a place to stay.

3. Outpost built into asteroid is sent across the universe by some kind of accident.

4. Probeship with scavenged alien time/propulsion unit ends up back in time, looking for a way home as they learn more about the alien technolgy.

5. Humans take over a hostile alien ship, are propelled into deep space and must try to return to Earth, possibly arriving after the aliens have conquered the planet.

I still think there are probably more ideas out there, so if you have one -- now is the time to chime in.

I'm serious about making something in the not too-distant future -- maybe in the next 12 months. I'll soon have access to HD 24p camera or cameras, so whatever we come up with is something we can actually think about producing.
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 05:49 AM   #43
CaptainOchre
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMartini View Post
So here are the short versions of the format ideas so far:

1. Probeship with near-future technology with scavenged alien propulsion technology leaves dead Earth behind and heads for distant planets.

2. City in space accidentally uses new propulsion technology and ends up in an unknown part of the galaxy and jumps from solar system to solar system looking for the way back home or a place to stay.

3. Outpost built into asteroid is sent across the universe by some kind of accident.

4. Probeship with scavenged alien time/propulsion unit ends up back in time, looking for a way home as they learn more about the alien technolgy.

5. Humans take over a hostile alien ship, are propelled into deep space and must try to return to Earth, possibly arriving after the aliens have conquered the planet.

I still think there are probably more ideas out there, so if you have one -- now is the time to chime in.

I'm serious about making something in the not too-distant future -- maybe in the next 12 months. I'll soon have access to HD 24p camera or cameras, so whatever we come up with is something we can actually think about producing.
My reactions to these ideas:

1. Could be interesting
2. It might be interesting, but not as good as most of the other ideas
3 Not sure, but pretty much the same thing as 2, but more Space:1999ish. If thats what you want to make, a remake of Space:1999 with a different name and characters, go ahead.
4. Very interesting idea!
5. Once again, good idea!
So, all in all, I would write a few scripts for numbers 1, 4, and 5 and decide which is the more fun to write, the easier to write, etc. Now for a few of my own ideas:
1. A large amount of humans are abducted by aliens and held captive on a ship. Now they must work out why they were captured and what will happen to them, while traveling the galaxy.
2. Earth is enslaved by aliens and a resistance group is formed, first freeing Earth and then liberating other planets from the alien's control. Finale happens on alien world, with aliens fighting humans for control of the planet.
3. A series showing the history of another galaxy, from the rise of early civilization to the end of a giant space empire. Perhaps have this information be discovered by humans.
4. An alien ship suddenly crashes into Earth, killing thousands and coating a whole country [maybe Russia or Australia] in radiation. A team of scientists study the ship and leave on a quest to find its homeworld. Along the way, they encounter other species for the first time, creating history every day. Finale occurs on alien planet.

So, what are your thoughts on these ideas?
CaptainOchre is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 07:36 AM   #44
Fun Pod
Communications Officer

Well, of all your suggestions, Captain, I personally believe number three would be the most original - and incredibly ambitious - by a country parsec. But your fourth suggestion ties in well with Ace's first summary above, too.
Fun Pod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 03:20 AM   #45
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainOchre View Post
1. A large amount of humans are abducted by aliens and held captive on a ship. Now they must work out why they were captured and what will happen to them, while traveling the galaxy.
Back in the 1990's, my friends and I played a Role Playing Game (RPG) called Incursion, which had a very similar premise. Fun game, good times.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-11-2008, 04:22 AM   #46
CaptainOchre
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Pod View Post
Well, of all your suggestions, Captain, I personally believe number three would be the most original - and incredibly ambitious - by a country parsec. But your fourth suggestion ties in well with Ace's first summary above, too.
Yeah I agree, but the problem is that you'd need a really big budget and you wouldn't have many recurring characters, since they would obviously not survive for the entire series.
CaptainOchre is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote