Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Control Room

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 18-04-2008, 12:10 AM   #1
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Default Ive always wondered what they where...

I think this could be a thread to discuss the objects you see in Anderson series lots of times but wondered what in fact they actually are

as time goes on, you find out what certain run of the mill Items used in the Anderson series where, I remember thinking the base of the airfix footbridge used everywhere was some sort of industrial metal strip, and it bugged me trying to find out as I knew it would give the scale of the craft away.

but for me theres still things to work out, and just a little niggle, that the experts on here can hopefully answer

the triangle parts used on Marineville tower, and then used in lots of background things, Thunderbird 2 pods for example

these boxes, which appear to be thin plastic, you see them in Thunderbird 2 pods, aswel as around Thunderbird 5

these things in Thunderbird 1 hangar, they look to be some sort of drill or hairdryer, but at the minute I cant work out what they are

please add whatever youve always wondered, am sure I will add to this as I spot things

cheers

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
dilligaf
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike Delamar View Post
these things in Thunderbird 1 hangar, they look to be some sort of drill or hairdryer, but at the minute I cant work out what they are
These have been identified by our esteemed forumites previously as toy periscopes, by Marx I believe. I remember one of my junior school friends having one in the 60's

Edit: Found the thread here

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...cope#post48434

Last edited by dilligaf; 18-04-2008 at 05:31 AM. Reason: added link
dilligaf is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
Fun Pod
Communications Officer

I'm only guessing, Mike, but I'd bet real colourful folding stuff - y'know, Monopoly money - that the Marineville Control Tower in picture one is some kind of contemporary light shade?
In picture two, the blocky shapes appear to have a lip around the edge: I'll be willing to suggest some kind of thin plastic seedling tray?
Fun Pod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

There are a number of thin vac formed moulding used of various shapes. The ribbed piece turns up everywhere on the walls of TB1's hangar, wrapped around TB4's engines and wrapped around the perimieter ring of TB5. In that particular case, I think it's the plastic insert of some kind of packaging used at the studio like the cases that slide frames used to come in. The Marineville tower squares are either vacforms also or fabricated. They're cut out and stuck on individually (and not very well). Also, because of the towers core cylindrical shape, the upper and lower edges of the 'flat' surfaces are distorted to wrap around it.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Brilliant

a toy periscope haha, It just looks like some sort of industrial vent for the smoke

fantastic

Mike

Old 21-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
Guest01
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Pod View Post
In picture two, the blocky shapes appear to have a lip around the edge: I'll be willing to suggest some kind of thin plastic seedling tray?
or poss a plastic tray that held a certain type of biscuits,agree with the lampshade theory on the tower
Guest01 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

definatley think the tray is something plastic that they cut the boxes out to stick around Thunderbird 5, I wondering if anyone whos built a scale replica of Thunderbird 5 has worked them out?
when you see them stuck inside Thunderbird 2 pods for example, they look as if they are very flismy and crease easily.

also the pyramid shape squares, you see these dotted around in Thunderbirds and Captain scarlet, but still no idea what they have got them from,

Mike
Old 21-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike Delamar View Post
definatley think the tray is something plastic that they cut the boxes out to stick around Thunderbird 5, I wondering if anyone whos built a scale replica of Thunderbird 5 has worked them out?
when you see them stuck inside Thunderbird 2 pods for example, they look as if they are very flismy and crease easily.

also the pyramid shape squares, you see these dotted around in Thunderbirds and Captain scarlet, but still no idea what they have got them from,

Mike
If they really are some kind of thin plastic tray then you would expect they would have backed up the interior with body filler or resin to make them tougher. However...on this close-up shot of TB5 you can clearly see one of them has been knocked and is damaged. I would have expected the paint to crack and flake off very easily on the type of plastic I'm thinking of so perhaps rather than repair the dint they just repainted the damaged section?

Slate
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

dont know if they would have built things the same as we would

ie to last, if the paint peeled off, theyd simply just paint it again

Mike
Old 14-10-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
spiffer
Computer Technician

Hi,

Please can anyone help identify the items indicated on the Pacific Atlantic Monorail below?

Thanks,

Kevin
spiffer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #11
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

not to sure, will have to see other angles if there available or screengrabs, the part on the right looks chrome, if it is, itll more than likely be a revell custom car part, or from a revell/amt kit.

Mike
Old 15-10-2008, 04:37 AM   #12
CaptanApollo
Astrophysics Technician

I always considered these to be insert trays for chocalats ,or biscuits, that realy thin vacform plastic. Cut into strips as on thunderbird 5
CaptanApollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 03:14 AM   #13
CommanderStraker
Life Support Technician

Ah, that last shot reminds me that Gerry Anderson usually had some cool military ships. Gave the guys at Toho making Godzilla (and a couple of King Kong) movies a run for their money.
CommanderStraker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 10:39 PM   #14
dalekdave
Waste Technician

Default Stingray Launch Cradle

Hi guys & gals, whilst we are on the subject of what is this part etc, can anyone help me with a project I'm hoping to work on? I want to recreate the Stingray Launch Cradle in Pen 3. I know about the girder bridge parts (I used to work for Dapol who still have the molds), but basically its the launch cradle itself, which looks as though it might have been cobbled together with adjustable mole grips that clamp around Stingray. I am also on the lookout for the spotlights used in the pen, as well as in Thunderbird 1's launch bay. Any ideas anyone?
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r...nchcradle1.jpg
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r...nchcradle2.jpg

Last edited by dalekdave; 18-11-2008 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Add photos
dalekdave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 12:00 AM   #15
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Hi Dalekdave, cool project

not sure of the launch cradle, think that may have been specially built

there is another american model railway stancion parts used on the roof of the pen, if youre interested I have a set, pm me

cheers

Mike

Old 18-11-2008, 12:56 AM   #16
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I believe the spotlights are old Ripmax marine accessories that Mike may also be able to help you with.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 06:41 AM   #17
dalekdave
Waste Technician

Default Stingray Launch Cradle

Thanks for the info, I'll try to contact Mike asap re his kind offer, and will keep a lookout for the Ripmax spotlights. Dave
dalekdave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #18
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

hi dave,

have a look through this thread to see the model railway parts, I bought a kit to have a look at, but theres nothing in it for what I need.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=5901

the spotlights, are still available (from the same supplier although he told me they may be very slightly different as they where originally available with bulbs to be lit up) Ive just forgotten the name of the supplier, ill search through some old threads if someone doesnt remind us of the name before hand, theyre only a few pound each

cheers

Mike