SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 11-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #81
Spacecraft Guy
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterspy View Post
Question is - will we ever hear that music played live again? I'd hate to think that it'll be the last time in my lifetime...
How about taking the concert to the USA? I bet the San Francisco Symphony would consider it, and they have hosted John Williams conducting his work. The Lucasfilm people got an orchestra together and recorded John Williams conducting the music from Star Wars at Skywalker Ranch some time ago. Would really be great hearing the Thunderbirds suite in a symphony hall.

And for all we Space:1999 fans, Martin Landau and Barbara Bain could make an appearance...
Spacecraft Guy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #82
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecraft Guy View Post
How about taking the concert to the USA? I bet the San Francisco Symphony would consider it, and they have hosted John Williams conducting his work. The Lucasfilm people got an orchestra together and recorded John Williams conducting the music from Star Wars at Skywalker Ranch some time ago. Would really be great hearing the Thunderbirds suite in a symphony hall.

And for all we Space:1999 fans, Martin Landau and Barbara Bain could make an appearance...
Finding people to do it isn't a problem.

Finding people to pay for it is.
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #83
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post

Looking at the playlist, my totally non-professional and uninformed approach would have been to plan on under-running (by quite a bit); drop the "Gerry Anderson Films" section (the close of Act 1) and save that as the encore. It's then a "stretch-to-fit" finale. Five to ten minutes left, the encore is Doppelganger and the Thunderbirds TV theme, ten to fifteen minutes left Doppelganger and "Zero-X" and the Thunderbirds TV theme, fifteen to twenty minutes left Doppelganger and "Zero-X" and Thunderbird 6 and the Thunderbirds TV theme.
The movie themes are the pieces that you cannot drop under any circumstances, because they are the only pieces written for that size of orchestra.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #84
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I was chatting to Cathy before the concert and she was looking like she was about to burst into tears and clearly stressed out by the whole thing. She said she wouldn't be rushing to organise anything like it again. She wouldn't even watch the performance which is a shame because it went down very well with the audience.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #85
Parker
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
The movie themes are the pieces that you cannot drop under any circumstances, because they are the only pieces written for that size of orchestra.
I'd still do it. Keeping a certain piece because of technical considerations would be like a movie director refusing to cut an effects shot because it was expensive. If it helps the whole, cuts have to be made, no matter how painful or apparently vital the material is.

Can well understand the organisers being too terrified to watch the show, the stress must have been awful. Hopefully they will enjoy watching the DVD (one day).

I was trying to put together a playlist of CD tracks to approximate the concert earlier and couldn't find "The Mysterons Theme". Was this only on the old "No Strings Attached" vinyl? I do have that record but, erm, I no longer have a record player.
Parker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #86
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

"No Strings Attached" was available as a CD too. Good chance you could snag one on eBay or possibly Amazon. The Mysteron Theme was first released as the B side to the Captain Scarlet theme (Barry Gray arrangement but not the soundtrack) put out as a vinyl single when the series was broadcast.
Old 13-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #87
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
I'd still do it. Keeping a certain piece because of technical considerations would be like a movie director refusing to cut an effects shot because it was expensive. If it helps the whole, cuts have to be made, no matter how painful or apparently vital the material is.

You cannot have large chunks of the orchestra doing nothing. And they're the most appropriate pieces.
Old 13-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #88
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Oh and if you really want to support Ralph and Cathy please buy extra copies of the Barry Gray brochure on eBay. Only buy from Brogan2040.
Old 14-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #89
Parker
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
You cannot have large chunks of the orchestra doing nothing. And they're the most appropriate pieces.
Did large chunks of the orchestra spend two hours doing nothing last Saturday? If they did, the orchestra was probably too big.
My take on it is the same; technical considerations come a poor second to more artistic concerns.

Have located the "No Strings Attached" CD (on amazon if anyone else is looking), only about 3.

The Barry Gray concert brochure is a very nice item. True, it is littered with typos, but there's loads of interesting info and photos which I doubt you would find anywhere else.
Old 14-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #90
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Did large chunks of the orchestra spend two hours doing nothing last Saturday? If they did, the orchestra was probably too big.
My take on it is the same; technical considerations come a poor second to more artistic concerns.
You haven't actually justified why you would drop the movie section. I'd be inclined to agree with you if the music was terrible. There were pieces in the concert that should have gone... but those aren't it - for artistic and technical concerns!

Anyway, I thought you said you were uninformed?

Old 14-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #91
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh and if you really want to support Ralph and Cathy please buy extra copies of the Barry Gray brochure on eBay. Only buy from Brogan2040.
The Barry Gray brochures will very soon be available from the Fanderson Sales list, well just as soon as the packages are delivered that is.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #92
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
The Barry Gray brochures will very soon be available from the Fanderson Sales list, well just as soon as the packages are delivered that is.
Cool. Is the money going into Ralph and Cathy's pockets?
Old 14-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #93
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I imagine there's a small consideration going to Fanderson but that would seem fair.
Old 15-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #94
TonyB
Forum Supporter

As DX mentioned in his reply, Fanderson will no doubt have been granted a small percentage of the cost of the brochure, Ralph and Cathy as far as I am aware will be getting the Lion's share though, and that is how it should be.

Apart from talking to Ralph to organize delivery of the parcels I am not really in any sort of position to able to comment further on any specifics, basically I just do not know.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #95
Parker
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
You haven't actually justified why you would drop the movie section. I'd be inclined to agree with you if the music was terrible. There were pieces in the concert that should have gone... but those aren't it - for artistic and technical concerns!

Anyway, I thought you said you were uninformed?
I'd have chosen those pieces to drop because I would judge that they are probably not what most of the audience would want to hear. "Space 1999" is very popular, while the themes from "Thunderbird 6" and "Doppelganger" (fine though they are) are less so. The "Four Feather Falls" section would have had my pencil line through it at the planning stage for the same reason. Barry may have conceived the show but that could have been adequately (and probably better) covered in the brochure (which is very good, and available on ebay I believe?) .

Although I'm musically untrained, I have done quite a bit of editing in various forms so am not just hacking at random. My philosophy is akin to that of the character Scotty (from some other TV show); always promise *less* than you can deliver.

My "No Strings Attached" CD arrived today (great service from whichever amazon seller I got it from). Presumably the audio and video recordings of last Saturday's performance have now been assessed, is there any word on what form their release will take? If anyone's counting, here's one vote for a blu-ray disc.

Old 19-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #96
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
I'd have chosen those pieces to drop because I would judge that they are probably not what most of the audience would want to hear. "Space 1999" is very popular, while the themes from "Thunderbird 6" and "Doppelganger" (fine though they are) are less so. The "Four Feather Falls" section would have had my pencil line through it at the planning stage for the same reason. Barry may have conceived the show but that could have been adequately (and probably better) covered in the brochure (which is very good, and available on ebay I believe?) .
How do you know what most of the audience wants to hear? And the idea that Space 1999 is more popular than Thunderbirds is erm... interesting There were pieces that should have gone in order to accomodate a lengthier Space 1999 section - but you just seem to have picked a suite at random for no other reason than you're not that fussed about them.

Four Feather Falls is important because it's a Barry Gray concert - not a Space 1999 concert. It was also Barry's favourite show and deomonstrates his wide musical abilities.

Quote:
If anyone's counting, here's one vote for a blu-ray disc.
I'll be amazed if they get a standard definition release out of it. They certainly won't do Blu-Ray because it wasn't shot in high-def.
Old 19-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #97
Parker
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
How do you know what most of the audience wants to hear? And the idea that Space 1999 is more popular than Thunderbirds is erm... interesting There were pieces that should have gone in order to accomodate a lengthier Space 1999 section - but you just seem to have picked a suite at random for no other reason than you're not that fussed about them.

Four Feather Falls is important because it's a Barry Gray concert - not a Space 1999 concert. It was also Barry's favourite show and deomonstrates his wide musical abilities.

I'll be amazed if they get a standard definition release out of it. They certainly won't do Blu-Ray because it wasn't shot in high-def.

I think it's clear I said that the "Space 1999" music would be more popular than the theme from "Thunderbird 6". If you need to warp that into "Space 1999 is more popular than Thunderbirds" then I'm clearly not going to get a sensible discussion on the matter.

Not shooting in HD these days is a bit of a surprise, but even just a highlights compilation on standard DVD would be welcome.
Old 19-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #98
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Ralph and Cathy had their friend Len sort the filming out. He runs a small audio visual company and they have an extensive range of cameras and equipment but haven't, as far as I know, upgraded their equipment to hi def yet. Bearing in mind the concert took a considerable amount of personal money to arrange as it is, stretching the budget to re-equipping with Hi Def equipment wouldn't be worth the expense when balanced against any likely increase in revenue, and very likely would have simply added unnecessary costs. Remember this was being done by private individuals primarily as a labour of love calling in as many favours as possible to make it happen. Budding entrepreneurial concert organisers rarely start off with the Royal Festival Hall and the London Philharmonia. Just paying for that was a big enough risk.