SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-11-2008, 11:36 PM   #301
CommanderStraker
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydarran View Post
I mean, they have a repair hanger but cannot manufacture new ships due to no materials! Demand exceeds supply if you know what I mean.
The moon has plenty of raw material. Numerous colonization schemes including Gerard O'Neill's Island 3 space colonies propose mining the regolith for materials. It makes sense, after all. You can't expect them to have hauled all the components of Moonbase Alpha from Earth. It would have taken tens of thousands of Eagle flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve36uk View Post
More worrying is the number of people getting killed every episode,ok it might take a while to build an Eagle,but to replace a member of staff takes a lot longer.......
There's a running tally of deaths here. The thing is, we don't know just how many people there really are. It's sort of like Star Trek's 430 crew on the original Enterprise. Sometimes they say more, sometimes less, and we never really know the true number.
CommanderStraker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 11:49 PM   #302
steve36uk
Communications Officer

Well as long as you aren't a security guard or an Eagle pilot you should have a reasonable chance of survival.
steve36uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 12:03 AM   #303
Fozzy
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderStraker View Post
It's sort of like Star Trek's 430 crew on the original Enterprise. Sometimes they say more, sometimes less, and we never really know the true number.
Of the several ships that I was stationed on, our crew could fluctuate from port to port by 1 - 50people. This accounted for people be transferred, people going to school, people getting out, and a few being thrown out. If we were on a special op (i.e. drug interdiction), we carried a group of Coast Guard (+10). If we were on a 6 - 8 month deployment we carried at least one helicopter detachment (+25). Daily in-&-outs we could be short several people. We had a crew assignment of 285. Sometimes it was 265, sometimes it was 335.
Fozzy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #304
Mikey29211
Waste Technician

I don't think it's a design flaw in the Eagle the flaw is in continuity between the model and live action sets. The flight deck with the chairs too low to look out of the view ports and in the 2nd season the designers completely lost the connecting passageway that goes between the pod and CM.
I read in an interview that brian Johnson didn't like the live sets.
Mikey29211 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 11:34 PM   #305
CommanderStraker
Life Support Technician

What you don't realize is that Eagles are "dimensionally transcendental." The insides and outsides don't have to match. (Actually, that's the case with most structures on TV.)
CommanderStraker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-11-2008, 12:28 AM   #306
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve36uk View Post
Most likely they could manufacture the things from scratch-it's a damn big base just to be uesd as a servicing base for the waste areas.Every time Alpha got whacked,by Gwent,The Dorcons,Diones mob,or Zoref totalling the nuclear generating plant,all the damage was soon repaired(unless the writers had a reset button or course but that only happens in Trek...),which would indicate a level of industrial self sufficency.
More worrying is the number of people getting killed every episode,ok it might take a while to build an Eagle,but to replace a member of staff takes a lot longer.......
I remember novelisations of the original Battlestar Galactica also dealt with that, mentioning that there was a 'Forge Ship' in the fleet that could manufacture new Vipers. Albeit these homemade Vipers were perhaps not quite as high standard as those originally on the Galactica but were perfectly serviceable. It's not beyond credibility that a similiar facility might exist. However, replacing highly trained crews is more difficult.
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #307
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Default Eagle Airways IV

Suprisingly, its' only been my recent viewing of "Space:1999" that I've noticed the discrepancies in the interior design of the Eagles. For the longest time, I NEVER noticed that the two sets of three rectangular shaped windows on either side of the pod actually ARE visible within the setpiece. I think the only thing they really messed up on were the sizes of the doors at the ends of the travel tubes. It looks no bigger than a door you'd see on a standard sea-faring battleship, not wide enough to let two people thru side by side. Yet, when the travel pod connects to the loading tube, it's as big as a garage door! Even tho I LOVE the Eagle design, one would think they'd have come up with a more "streamlined" design for the pod to allow for the wide variety of alien ships that pass thru Alpha. I know, if the "real-life" designers of the Eagles knew the moon was to be blasted out of orbit, they would have thought of that. But, since the Eagles were assumed to be the "only" ships on Alpha, it's not what one could call short-sighted.
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #308
lesjc2001
Alphan

Default The Eagle faults and all

The Eagle transporter seems to be inspired by the 2001 Moonbus (The command module is amost the same shape as the moonbuses cockpit. My major gripe with the Eagle is it is obviously designed to fly in Space only (like the LM) However I have often seen episodes where it flies in atmosphere.The only way the eagle could accomplish this feat would be to slow down (Using vast amounts of fuel BEFORE entering atmosphere. Impractical.

Another problem with its design is that the crew appear to have only a restricted forward view. Landing would be extremely difficult especially on the neatly marked out Moonbase pads. The 2001 Moonbus is obviously intended as a short range lunar transport which is what the Eagle should be. As to its fuel load I suppose the "boxes" above the landing gear would contain fuel. I think the Moonbase intercepter (as released by airfix) is a far more beleivable "deep space craft" than the eagle itself.
lesjc2001 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #309
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesjc2001 View Post
The Eagle transporter seems to be inspired by the 2001 Moonbus (The command module is amost the same shape as the moonbuses cockpit. My major gripe with the Eagle is it is obviously designed to fly in Space only (like the LM) However I have often seen episodes where it flies in atmosphere.The only way the eagle could accomplish this feat would be to slow down (Using vast amounts of fuel BEFORE entering atmosphere. Impractical.

Another problem with its design is that the crew appear to have only a restricted forward view. Landing would be extremely difficult especially on the neatly marked out Moonbase pads. The 2001 Moonbus is obviously intended as a short range lunar transport which is what the Eagle should be. As to its fuel load I suppose the "boxes" above the landing gear would contain fuel. I think the Moonbase intercepter (as released by airfix) is a far more beleivable "deep space craft" than the eagle itself.
Oh, absolutely there's a strong resemblance with the "2001" Moonbus & the Eagle...can't imagine why...I mean Alpha looks like an "early" version of Clavius. Interesting note, in case you were'nt aware: In the '60s, films only had to show a few credits with regard to the production crew (ie; Exec. Producer, Producer, Director, SFX Director, Writer & Cast). Of course, now they list EVERYBODY right down to the catering company. However, if you read "The Making of Kubrick's 2001" (that is, if you can find a copy) you'll find that one of the miniature designers & model builders was named Brian Johncock, which was Brian Johnson's REAL name! Also, one of the few things I agreed with as far as the changes from Year 1 to Year 2 was they put a video monitor in the Eagle cockpit, like that on the USS Enterprise. Of course the Clavius Moonbus had a navigational scanner making for easier, computer-guided landings. Finally, the Eagle could NEVER enter an atmosphere in real life (maybe Mars). It would have to take an EXTREMELY long way 'round the planet & descend at an incredibly gradual rate IF it were to survive a re-entry.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #310
dougkeenan
Weapons Technician

Brake over your target and hover down. Goes through plenty of fuel but it's often easier than landing a lift/drag craft. You have flown plenty of Eagles in the Orbiter sim, yes?
dougkeenan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #311
anubispro
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougkeenan View Post
Brake over your target and hover down. Goes through plenty of fuel but it's often easier than landing a lift/drag craft. You have flown plenty of Eagles in the Orbiter sim, yes?
"Infinite Fuel" makes that possible.
Try it with anything resembling current tech.
anubispro is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #312
dougkeenan
Weapons Technician

Not infinite fuel, high ISP. Here's the deal - I'll build an Eagle after you build Victor's gravity poles with current tech!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #313
anubispro
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougkeenan View Post
Not infinite fuel, high ISP. Here's the deal - I'll build an Eagle after you build Victor's gravity poles with current tech!

What do Internet Service Providers have to do with Eagles ?

....and I am not going anywhere near Victor's "pole".
anubispro is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #314
dougkeenan
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubispro View Post

....and I am not going anywhere near Victor's "pole".
Ah, Internet Service Providers allow us to gather together to complain about the Eagle and its Crap Design. (They also allow you to look at Victor's pole without going anywhere near it, or so I've been told.) ISP as in specific impulse relates to thrust in rocketry.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #315
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubispro View Post

....and I am not going anywhere near Victor's "pole". Man, you people are really funny! Really! Anyway, I read somewhere a long time ago (an VERY early Stalog Magazine), and I quote: "The Eagles, as beautifully designed as they are pose a serious risk as re-entry craft due to the multitude of appendages...". In an interview with Brian Johnson on the bonus features of the "Space:1999" DVD Megaset, he said that the Eagles were designed so as to NOT be aerodynamic because there's no atmosphere on the Moon. I take that to mean that they used the Space Dock as a platform for the Eagles, much like the space station in "2001", for travel strictly between the station & the Moon. Sound good?

Old 11-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #316
daddydarran
Waste Technician

Default Eagle Aerodynamics

Apart from Alan dropping them from great heights, I`ve always wondered what the fuel economy was like and what the Eagles ran on? I mean, they are as aerodynamic as a brick with only the Command module being anywhere near attaining a decent slipstream. The fuselage is all corners, not good for slipping through the atmosphere and the landing pods and pads, well, imagine the drag they`d create
Having read past replies on the Forum, I also wondered why the manouevering thrusters on the pods never pointed outward so they could move sideways etc, surely an important part of any spacecraft given the need for docking?
daddydarran is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #317
daddydarran
Waste Technician

Default Kicking the bucket!!

Hi Dave, my quote was stating to buy the farm as the other Alphans say. Other sayings are Croaking, copping it, the wooden overcoat etc. Meaning to fly with Alan Carter!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #318
daddydarran
Waste Technician

Default Sorry

Weaponsmith
First of all, I`ll apologise as it was not my wish to join this excellent forum and upset people. If I did, I`m big enough to apologise.
I suppose it was the end of a hard day and I`d just been made redundant! i don`t go looking for crap on the internet and think Ebay is shite officially but I was interested in finding out what the rarity was of my Eagle as I`m such a huge fan. In a way I got uppity as I don`t think the Gold Eagle cheapens what has become a cult following of an excellent programme, more flatters it and keeps the interest alive and indeed spreads it to a new generation.
As far as knowledge is concerned, obviously there are those of you out there who have obviously taken a lot of time to study your chosen subject matter and it`s incredibly interesting as none of us know everything about the programme, but you guys help spread the word to the rest of us and I`m learning too. I do know my stuff about S1999 too but don`t want people to get the wrong idea about me when all I was doing is defending a well made tribute with the Gold Eagle to a great programme.
Personally with the, as you call them, Asshole, who bought the UFO box, as a diecast collector myself, if you collect these things for the rarity and obvious profit then I suppose people will pay for an origional box as if the model is in mint condition, the box adds around 70% to the value. I wouldn`t do it personally, I think who did was mad but diecasts are a hobby and I`m pretty knowledgeable about this area so I popped that in as a possible reason as to why they`d spend silly money on them.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #319
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Default There is a lot of it about

That makes two of us then. I was also made redundant on 26th September, so may have been touchy on subject of large sums of money

Like you, I do not necessarily disagree with the idea of a gold or chrome eagle, but as a marketing exercise only. I personally - being a model maker and all -look for accuracy in what I will buy when it is related to a TV show, film, or other published material. As something that makes the manufacturer and licence holder money, I hope they sell every one they make, but don't expect me to buy one, as the more money they can make out of their products, the more likely it is we will see different products from the same shows in the future, and the more likely a new generation of fans will arise.

I also understand what you say about the box. If the person who bought that box already had a mint version of the toy it contained, then it is a worthwhile investment - especially for a millionaire who would look at that and think what a way to spend a day's interest on his money.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #320
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponsmith View Post
That makes two of us then. I was also made redundant on 26th September, so may have been touchy on subject of large sums of money

Like you, I do not necessarily disagree with the idea of a gold or chrome eagle, but as a marketing exercise only. I personally - being a model maker and all -look for accuracy in what I will buy when it is related to a TV show, film, or other published material. As something that makes the manufacturer and licence holder money, I hope they sell every one they make, but don't expect me to buy one, as the more money they can make out of their products, the more likely it is we will see different products from the same shows in the future, and the more likely a new generation of fans will arise.

I also understand what you say about the box. If the person who bought that box already had a mint version of the toy it contained, then it is a worthwhile investment - especially for a millionaire who would look at that and think what a way to spend a day's interest on his money.
Unfortunately, I found out WAY too late as to how much the original packaging adds to the value of a collectible. I had practically every toy, book & model put out based on "Space:1999"...and didn't save ANY packaging! I did, however, keep my books in the best condition possible & my friend are amazed that I have paperbacks that are over 30 years old but still look like they just came out of the bookstore! My MOST prized possesssion, even tho I don't have the box, is my 18" ALIEN action figure...a real rarity cuz it was pulled from the toyshelves due to the fact that it was scaring kids in the store! Amazing! Nowadays, kids watch these "Alien" movies like Saturday morning cartons! By the way, my ALIEN's name is "Clyde" & he smokes Marlboro. Viva Nostromo!