Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 03-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #21
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Not so much regenerate, more like rejuvenate...

Last edited by Air Terrainean; 09-12-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #22
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Re-Juve-enate: Use a teenager in a man's role.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #23
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

How's he going to fit the rest of the famous five into the tardis. The TBs movie made a rather bad mistake along this line... spy kids and all. BUT lets see how he goes. It will be a hard test for the young fellow to pass, as the Dr normally has younger people as his groupies... and their parents. And of course, many of the watchers of the programme are around the same age as the groupies.

So if the groupies turn out to be very young then pjskeldon has hit it on the head about skipping generations.

I also wonder about the wisdom of letting everyone know there's a new doctor so long before the old one has gone. If people aren't convinced about this new one, why wait around for the old one to change as it were?
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #24
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

I know the guy from 'RUBY IN THE SMOKE' and really liked his character in that and the sequel. He seemed a little older in it once he was playing a character. I am sure we will grow used to him. I remember how shocked I was when Davison took the role and he was only a couple of years older than this guy. Given the paper talk I was pleased to actually be completely shocked and surprised. I think filming will begin in a few months so of course the papers would be in helicopters and all the rest to get a shot of him so I reckon the BBC thought they'd present him in a manner that were able to control completely. Let's see how it goes.
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #25
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactica53 View Post
Why does it seem every Doctor regeneration keeps getting younger the older the character gets am I the only one seeing this?
I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree: I didn't perceive Troughton > Pertwee, Davison > Baker, C and Baker, C > McCoy as 'older to younger' regenerations. I also feel the last three Doctors came across as being roughly the same age.

For what it's worth, these were my first impressions - and subsequent reflections:

1. Who the hell is Matt Smith? I looked him up and he seems to have a good reputation, a talented bloke by most accounts.

2. Hate the hair & clothes! He's unlikely to look like that once filming starts - IIRC, McGann sported cropped hair in his first publicity pics as the Doctor, but his appearance changed dramatically. Anyway, the clothes aren't vitally important, an 'emo'/arts student Doctor is a change, and my own tastes are probably miles away from those of younger viewers.

3. He's awfully young! So was Davison, and in any case he'll be a little older by the time they start shooting the series. I admit age is an issue to me - I fear a young-looking Doctor may lack the necessary gravitas. I have to remember the character is supposed to be over 900 years old. In any case, a slightly 'insecure' (for want of a better word) Doctor may lend itself to dramatic exploration - again, like the early Davison episodes.

All in all I confess I was slightly perturbed, but I have to give the man a chance to prove himself. After all, lots of people slated Catherine Tate when she was cast as Donna, but now I gather she's fondly remembered.

More importantly: did any of you make a killing at the betting shop?

Last edited by Dr Kane; 05-01-2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Typo corrected
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #26
pjskeldon
Communications Officer

I agree Dr.Kane:
1) The handovers from one actor to another have not all been older to younger - but this one certainly looks younger. You probably didn't see the BBC Doctor Who Confidential programme that revealed him last night, but cutting between Matt dressed predominantly in black in a room that looked like some drug-crazed decorator had been let loose in and David Tennant on a couch in a cream room wearing a candy striped shirt that looked like his pyjamas, it seemed to hammer home the difference between the two actors.

2) I'm prepared to give him a go - I just get a bad feeling about this. I thought Donna was going to be awful but, honestly, she turned out to be a better companion that I had expected. Still not a Martha or even a Rose, but better than the first Christmas episode had led me to expect.

3) Where this phase of Doctor Who (Chris Ecclestone onwards) has succeeded is in being family entertainment. I'm 46 and enjoy it as much as those Jon Pertwee series I remember when I was a boy. If they tinker with that too much and make it 'yoof' television, it may start to go off the rails by losing the older audience.

I'm not doing Matt down. I'm keen to see him succeed. Let's just wait and see, eh?

Phil.
pjskeldon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #27
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle44 View Post
"WHO" ?
Yes.
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:24 AM   #28
Phil
Geological Technician

Well, I'm just dying to see the Brigadier's reaction if they ever bring him back beyond the Sarah Jane Adventures.

I would have preferred an older Doctor, e.g. Sean Pertwee, so I'm slightly underwhelmed by the choice of this young comparatively unknown, but what the heck. There is nothing any of us can do to change the decision so we'll just have to sit back and enjoy the ride. If Matt Smith does turn out to be monumentally crap he'll be moved on, but I doubt he will be. Dr Who is now almost certainly the BBCs flagship programme, and one would hope the executives behind it know exactly what they are doing.

Good luck to the kid, please just don't let us down.
Phil is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:38 AM   #29
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

My wife has pointed out that he'll be something like 27 when filming his first series, and although that doesn't sound very old to many of us he's not really that young. She thinks that he'll be fine and at 37 (I didn't tell you all that BTW) she's probably a good judge of what Gen Y will think. Having just read over my shoulder her latest comment is that the new guy doesn't look nice... that's because she loves the present guy. Frankly I think the poor kid has huge boots to fill
Old 05-01-2009, 09:22 AM   #30
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

Don't like the hair, don't like the look, don't like Donna. But I'll give him a fair go as long as the hair is fixed - somehow.
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #31
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Agreed. Saw a photo of John Pertwee the other day and it brought back good memories.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #32
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

If you ask me, its as if they're trying to go for the 'screaming fangirl' demographic here. I mean, wasn't Tom Baker regarded as young for the part when he took over, and he's ancient compared to what they're using now.
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #33
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

I've just realised why I was a little put out: the actor playing the Doctor is - for the first time - younger than me!

Time I started browsing for coffins.
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #34
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

You know you're getting older when the Timelords start getting younger than you !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #35
TonyB
Forum Supporter

TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #36
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kane View Post
I've just realised why I was a little put out: the actor playing the Doctor is - for the first time - younger than me!

Time I started browsing for coffins.
Just rejuvenate the picture in your avatar - you'll be right.
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote