SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #61
CaptainOchre
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarvelling View Post
How about that they just watch the original Thunderbirds and take notes.....
QFT.
CaptainOchre is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #62
CaptainOchre
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeRaHGo View Post
I got really excited when IR 2004 came out, i was 14 and i took the whole family to go to the cinema, and my uncle came down (CS and IR fan) an d we all watched it. i was embarrassed. i understand it was 'homage' etc but it really was an insult.Agreed. They made the same mistakes as NCS (don't read the next bit cap'n O)trying to make it appealing to modern audiances , by changing the vehicles shapes and abilities, the story line etc. IR 2004 had a low quality story line, the best bit was Parker-they had the perfect actor for him.Agreed. NCS was also low in my opinion, i watched a few episodes and they seemed ok, till i watched the ghost one.Well, that one was probably one of the worst, so that makes sense. Don't judge a show just from one episode. I mean, judging 1999 just from RUles of Luton wouldn't be fair, would it. The ghost, the names (rhinoAgreed on that one. SPV had a cooler name and design., skybaseGonna have to disagree here, but its your opinion and you're entitled to it....wtf?) and changing the overall shape of it. On the lighter side these recent offers to the temple of Gerry Anderson served to attract younger audiences and, just maybe, they will find the originals.

My own opinions, Chris
My responses/comments are in bold.
Old 26-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #63
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

Nicely put across Captain Ochre. Must admit, some of the NCS bits were ok, and it got my brother interested in the older puppet series, i apologise for slamming NCS
FeRaHGo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #64
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeRaHGo View Post
Nicely put across Captain Ochre. Must admit, some of the NCS bits were ok, and it got my brother interested in the older puppet series, i apologise for slamming NCS
By accepting it for what it was, I didn't mind too much the newer CGI treatment of NCS.... I don't think they tried too hard to make the characters look totally human; just more so, with better animation than could have ever been acheived with puppets. But then, to me, that destroys a lot of the charm of what a quintissential Anderson show was all about. I think a lot went when they went with live-action too, though I did enjoy UFO.... a lot! Just not as much as Stingray, Thunderbirds (the best ), Capt. scarlet.
I liked that it wasn't 'real' though, and quite liked the design of the new Angels (Falcons), the SPC (Cheetah)
and some of the incidental vehicles, but i'm afraid the Rhino was a drastic mistake; big, overly clumsy, no flowing lines...absolutely NOT a replacement for the SPV which is beautiful!!
I have no idea why when remaking these old classics, the new designers have re-invent the wheel.... hell, the old SPV, SPC, and Angels were neaer enough perfect; why not keep them the same....just make new CGI stories and use the classic designs? And with the Thunderbirds film of 2004....well...I cannot for the lifew of me remember what that TB1 looks like except it being a light gray/blue mess. TB3? No clue. It's gone. TB4...pathetic! And TB5....did it feature? FAB 1...WTF??? TB2 was the only thing that vaguely resembled it's old counterpart...VAGUELY. It was still crap! WHY did they have to attempt to 'improve' on the timeless classics? Were they so stupid to think that they could improve on the works of the APF masters? The Thunderbird craft would have looked as modern and 'cool' if they'd appeared exactly as they always had before. And did they even keep the character names the same? I've forgotten.... why did it turn out more like 'Five Go Mad On Tracey Island' with those stupid teenagers all over the place?
Those folks here that reckon that the film should have been a retelling of perhaps 'Trapped In The Sky' with a bit of background history are SO right.... Even if all the ships and aircraft had been CGI, if they kept to the original designs it could have been awesome! Instead the film was a disaster that even International Rescue couldn't save....!!!! All puns intended
Sorry....rant over! Phew! Just felt I had to say it....
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 02:44 AM   #65
CaptainOchre
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarvelling View Post
By accepting it for what it was, I didn't mind too much the newer CGI treatment of NCS.... I don't think they tried too hard to make the characters look totally human; just more so, with better animation than could have ever been acheived with puppets. But then, to me, that destroys a lot of the charm of what a quintissential Anderson show was all about. I think a lot went when they went with live-action too, though I did enjoy UFO.... a lot! Just not as much as Stingray, Thunderbirds (the best ), Capt. scarlet.
I liked that it wasn't 'real' though, and quite liked the design of the new Angels (Falcons), the SPC (Cheetah)Agreed on both. Easily the best redesigns.
and some of the incidental vehicles, but i'm afraid the Rhino was a drastic mistake; big, overly clumsy, no flowing lines...absolutely NOT a replacement for the SPV which is beautiful!!I have to agree with you, kinda. The big problem for me was that it replaced the SPV. If it was just a new, unrelated vehicle, I wouldn't have cared.
I have no idea why when remaking these old classics, the new designers have re-invent the wheel.... hell, the old SPV, SPC, and Angels were neaer enough perfect; why not keep them the same....just make new CGI stories and use the classic designs?Agreed. Personally, I would've done a slight upgrade, but not a total redesign. And with the Thunderbirds film of 2004....well...I cannot for the lifew of me remember what that TB1 looks like except it being a light gray/blue mess.It was OK, but not as good as the classic design. TB3?It sucked. No clue. It's gone. TB4...pathetic!Agreed! And TB5....did it feature?Yes it did, and it looked terrible as well. FAB 1...WTF???COmpletely agreed, but ROlls Royce wouldn't let them use the classic car so they went to Ford instead. They probably should have gotten another company, though. TB2 was the only thing that vaguely resembled it's old counterpart...VAGUELY.They messed up the pod big time. It was still crap! WHY did they have to attempt to 'improve' on the timeless classics? Because they're idiots. Were they so stupid to think that they could improve on the works of the APF masters?Evidently, yes. The Thunderbird craft would have looked as modern and 'cool' if they'd appeared exactly as they always had before. Agreed. And did they even keep the character names the same?Yep, one of the only things they got right. I've forgotten.... why did it turn out more like 'Five Go Mad On Tracey Island' with those stupid teenagers all over the place?Because they're idiots.
Those folks here that reckon that the film should have been a retelling of perhaps 'Trapped In The Sky' with a bit of background history are SO right.... Even if all the ships and aircraft had been CGI, if they kept to the original designs it could have been awesome! Instead the film was a disaster that even International Rescue couldn't save....!!!! All puns intended Yep. That would have been a really good movie!
Sorry....rant over! Phew! Just felt I had to say it....
My comments are in bold.

Old 27-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #66
yarvelling
Computer Technician

Quote Cat. Ochre: 'Agreed. Personally, I would've done a slight upgrade, but not a total redesign.'

I suppose that if the film-makers had used the same principles used by the new dr Who designers it would've been alright; ie: The tardis is still a blue police box, and Daleks are still the wonderful basic design with just a bit of 'strengthening' to some lines, or added 'bling'.
I admit though my resistance to change concerning Anderson designs of such iconic craft is probably down to 40 years of me knowing and loving them in their original form, and to me, Thunderbird 2 was pretty much the most perfect looking aircraft ever....even if it is green!! To an eager 4 year old in 1965 it was the most brilliant thing EVER !!!!
yarvelling is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #67
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Unfortunately it seems to be those two words that are the downfall of most "re-imaginings" these days - Gritty Realism!

If I want realism, I'll go for a walk. I go to the cinema, or watch stuff on TV, for a bit of ESCAPISM! A bit of excitement in my boring dreary existence, half an hour or so of pretending to be Scot, Virgil, Paul Metcalfe, or any of the other characters I am watching - and it doesn't matter if you are 4, 40, or 80. All that changes is the characters you wish you were.

Yes, I know the SPV doesn't really exist - except as a 2 foot long kit I have yet to finish - but I still think it is one of the best designs ever. The "Rhino" doesn't come close, it's like comparing a Ferrari/Porsche/Lamborghini to a Trabant ferchrissakes.

And personally, I think TB1 was the best in the 2004 film, but not by much although I certainly agree that Parker was the only decent character in the film (Which I thought should have been entitled something more like "Spy Kids IV: Tracy Island Invasion")

And yet, other productions have got it so right. I really enjoyed "Tin Man" (re-imagining of "Wizard of OZ") and the recent remake of "The Andromeda Strain". Just goes to show what can be done with the proper respect for the original source material. I have also recently found a new appreciation for the Tom Cruise version of "War of the Worlds" - not only is it a contemporary film, as the original was a contemporary book, but it also contains bits that are presumably influenced by the Jeff Wayne musical version - an amazing piece of musical history, and now a live stage show to boot! Can't wait to see it live sometime.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #68
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

I'm going to see the Jeff Wayne TWoTW stage show in the summer! I agree, some modern remakes are a lot better, Tom Cruise's The War of The Worlds being a perfect example. In comparison to the 1950's film (where the tripods FLOAT and therefore arent tripods-missing the point of them really) it is CLASS. If you don't hold the book or the musical to close to the heart it is an amazing film. Maybe that is what needs to be done with IR2004; we need to be open minded with it....naaaaaaaah
Old 27-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #69
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Regards the total re-design on Spectrum vehicles in NCS, it will have come down to one thing, money!

Gerry would have had to pay to use the likeness of the Classic series vehicles as he does not own the rights to any of them, all new vehicle designs meant he did not have to pay anything for copyright.

I seem to remember Gerry being asked a question at one of the Fanderson conventions a couple of years back, before NCS hit the TV screens, and the answer being that he was not prepered to pay Granada Ventures or whoever, money to use something where he was not forced to, so to save money and to be able to make money out of the new designs, which he did own, the vehicles were changed.

Or as he put it at the time, 'why should I work to give the money away to some one else'.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #70
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

makes sense... bit unfair he would have to pay for his own stuff!

Old 27-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #71
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Quote:
makes sense... bit unfair he would have to pay for his own stuff!
Yes but that is the whole point, it is no longer his stuff, he had to sell the rights to his programs and their contents years ago when he seriously needed the money. granted it may seem a bit unfair, but that as the old saying goes 'is how the cookie crumbles'.....
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 06:19 AM   #72
CaptainOchre
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
Regards the total re-design on Spectrum vehicles in NCS, it will have come down to one thing, money!

Gerry would have had to pay to use the likeness of the Classic series vehicles as he does not own the rights to any of them, all new vehicle designs meant he did not have to pay anything for copyright.

I seem to remember Gerry being asked a question at one of the Fanderson conventions a couple of years back, before NCS hit the TV screens, and the answer being that he was not prepered to pay Granada Ventures or whoever, money to use something where he was not forced to, so to save money and to be able to make money out of the new designs, which he did own, the vehicles were changed.

Or as he put it at the time, 'why should I work to give the money away to some one else'.
So it seems he had no choice... In that case, I think we should just be glad is designs weren't as bad as the ones in the Thunderspy Kids: Home alone, then.
Old 28-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #73
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

There's an interview with Gerry in the latest issue (number 6) of Andersonic magazine which seems to indicate that Gerry actually wanted to do something completely different, rather being forced into not being able to use elements of the original series. He states that he was actually asked to use the original music at one point, but says that by then it was too late to change the music that had already been recorded. I always got the impression with the new series that he actually wanted to distance himself as far as possible from the original.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote