Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 27-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Forever Remembered...

So named, is the new Kennedy Space Center exhibit, honoring the memories of the lost Space Shuttles Challenger and Columbia and their crews. A most worthwhile read...

(Wish this article, from CBS News website, had included more photographs, though).

Two terrible days that you remember where you were, when you heard the news...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nasa-shu...nger-columbia/

A personal recollection: on the last full day of my mother's and my trip to Hawaii, we went up to Oahu's famous national cemetery, Punchbowl, which overlooks Honolulu and the surrounding Pacific.

It was there that I found myself, quite literally, face to face with the ghost of Challenger: standing at the gravestone of astronaut Ellison Onizuka.

The ground surrounding it was absolutely thick with leis and flowers of all colors imaginable.

This was in the spring of 1988, more than two years after...
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Thanks for bringing this to our attention....

Thank you for posting this Boatie - the Challenger disaster really did shake the world, but how quickly it all recedes from memory. Your post inspired me to read a couple of articles about Ellison, and I didn't realise just how many memorial dedications had been made in his name.

Page 28 (Page X of additional page inserts) of every new U.S. passport contains this quotation: "Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds... to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." - Ellison S. Onizuka

Six other people lost their lives on that terrible day - we can all watch our favourite science fiction programmes or films depicting death, destruction, heroism and valour, but these people truly were heroes in the real world.

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

We also saw the memorial to the Challenger crew at Arlington National Cemetery during our visit there in the fall of 1999 (believe one for Columbia has since joined it); alas, time constraints did not allow for visiting the area where some of the astronauts (eg Gus Grissom, Pete Conrad) were buried. It really is a huge place...!

Some yrs back, came across the book Ellison S Onizuka - A Remembrance (Onizuka Memorial Committee and Signature Publishing, Honolulu; 1986); elegant, poignant and chock full of photos. Worth a look, perhaps on Amazon or the like...
Old 03-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default ADD: Forever Remembered...

From CBS News website, today (03/Mon):

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/challeng...or-first-time/
Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #5
Surface agent X20
Communications Officer

I have been watching lots of stuff about Christa Mcauliffe recently, she was an inspiration.Teacher in space.
Surface agent X20 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Tags
challenger, columbia, nasa, space shuttle