Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 19-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
Tristan
Travel Tube Technician

Default MATTEL LABORATORY EAGLE...

After seeing some great customs and reading thru some great threads, Ive decided to make a MATTEL LABORATORY EAGLE. By chance I came across the perfect sized plastic containers. They will be used as the base of the custom and styrene to be cut and glued to the opening pod doors. I still have some accessories to get, but the initial work is started. Im doing measurements now. Please let it be known now, its going to be a toy version with alot of liberties taken, but the spirit will still be respected. Ive also taken Designasaurus's suggestion on rocket lighting that he used for his BUCK ROGERS MEGO STARFIGHTER and let me tell you, its very cool. Im also tempted to use it on the underside rockets but it might be too much. The two pack of team sparkz valve lights came with 6 extra batteries. They cost about 10$ for the 2 pack. The lights are bright leds and you might get a bit of a headache but they are alot of fun. I have to tap the engine assembly every 15 seconds or more, the motion sensor isnt picking it up as easy as I would like to believe or the batteries could stand to be changed. Right now I just tap and go. I currently have the side containers painted gloss white and Im working out positioning and where I will have to start cutting. I plan to hot glue the container to the side door and then start adding the details. Im very excited about this, any suggestions would be welcome. I have to pick up the square furniture moving pads and I will add bits and pieces of stryene for detail. Im looking forward to doing the door. The extension assembly will actually go out further a bit than the landing/RCS housing units on the side. I do not have the measure or skill that most of the talented forum members here, but I do want to see it done as a cool toy. I like the fact it sticks out a bit, it makes more sense for mid flight connections. RCS thrusters will probably be LEGO bits.
Tristan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
eagleharbor
Hydroponics Technician

Default Mattel customs

Hi, I havent been on here for so long my password on my account was deleted ? I was collectinmikey and now I am eagleharbor. Lets see if these pictures go through. I have made a few labs in the past and I can post more pictures if that helps. The action figures are "tonka people" with about 1/4 " cut off of the pant legs and feet re-glued, they are a nice size. the other figures are scratch. Thanks. p.s. what did you make your docking station from ? can you post a picture ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lab eagle 004.jpg (79.7 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg lab eagle 005.jpg (81.1 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02522.jpg (81.2 KB, 109 views)
eagleharbor is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

eagleharbor brilliant lab addition and figures.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

That lab add-on looks fantastic (as do the figures)! Great work!

Dana
cmdrkoenig67 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Tristan
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleharbor View Post
Hi, I havent been on here for so long my password on my account was deleted ? I was collectinmikey and now I am eagleharbor. Lets see if these pictures go through. I have made a few labs in the past and I can post more pictures if that helps. The action figures are "tonka people" with about 1/4 " cut off of the pant legs and feet re-glued, they are a nice size. the other figures are scratch. Thanks. p.s. what did you make your docking station from ? can you post a picture ?

I used the plastic container from a crumbled cottage cheese. Wow, yours is amazing, it looks seamless and the hatch door is functional as well as looking great. How did you make the Eagle transport pod removeable? How does it stay in place? Did you have to strengthen the spine of the ship?

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/member...-astronaut.jpg

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/member...ized-craft.jpg

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/member...y-lift-off.jpg

Old 01-12-2010, 04:55 AM   #6
eagleharbor
Hydroponics Technician

Default mattel lab

Hey, I saw your hawk note but I need to get in a few more posts till I can respond to it per forum rules? anyway the thrusters are lego with just another nozzle glued on and painted. ... I bolt in a flat alum. bar in the top with 4 screws to make it rigid. It does fit together nicley. I use some square plastic stock and have 2 plastic pins that slide thru them to keep the whole thing together. the sides hinge up with plastic hinges, I used a lot of superglue and plastic parts glued on and plastic putty to fill in the cracks and stuff. If you have a plastic store near your house that is best. I go to "tap plastics" they are on line too.
my first conversion took a long time but was worth it . heres a tip, when you cut out the center pod (with a hack saw blade and box knife) just mark where you will cut it with a pencil first, trace right along the top spine and then remove the top spine to cut,then in the corners down the sides,make it all in one piece and make sure the 4 triangles underneath stay on the center pod side. Ican help more if you want. ps your astronaut looks very cool
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lab eagle 009.jpg (77.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg lab eagle 006.jpg (82.6 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg lab eagle 010.jpg (82.4 KB, 108 views)
Old 01-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Tristan
Travel Tube Technician

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmn. Looks great. I love how it all seems so normal and functional. Have you tried making a freight eagle with your improvements? I love the fact you can lift the pod side extensions and still utilize the playset area. Both sides? Seriously? You inspire sir, you inspire.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

eagleharbor, what you have done to this Mattel Eagle is genius. If only Mattel had someone like you working for them in 1976, then we might have had multiple pods that were removable. You have proved it could have been done.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:24 AM   #9
eagleharbor
Hydroponics Technician

Default hauler mattel eagle

Thanks you guys, for the nice comments Heres the fist custom I ever made. its actually a little more easy since you don't need to box in the center pod top.the nuke barrels are made with plastic domes from the plumbing dept at the hardware store. with holes drilled in the bottoms so they can fit on the original posts. I put a motor in the silver winch insert that actually hauls up the barrels, there's a magnet on the crane hook and the barrels have a metal screw in them so you can "catch " them ,like in breakaway Ive also made some rescue eagles and vip eagles too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02542.jpg (84.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02544.jpg (87.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02550.jpg (82.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02535.jpg (89.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02537.jpg (92.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-12-2010, 02:31 AM   #10
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

eagleharbor, more brilliant Mattel Eagle refit work.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
Tristan
Travel Tube Technician

Can you show those Rescue Eagles and VIP Eagles too? Your work is top notch. I love how you still can replace the pod/platform with the insertion of the two bars (for and aft) such a simple solution, really brilliant.
Old 19-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #12
OldMattelEagle
Waste Technician

Quote:
I was wondering what happened to you. Your work was a huge inspiration for me to start working on old Mattel Eagles.
OldMattelEagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
troy0571
Medical Technician

Quote:
Thanks you guys, for the nice comments Heres the fist custom I ever made. its actually a little more easy since you don't need to box in the center pod top.the nuke barrels are made with plastic domes from the plumbing dept at the hardware store. with holes drilled in the bottoms so they can fit on the original posts. I put a motor in the silver winch insert that actually hauls up the barrels, there's a magnet on the crane hook and the barrels have a metal screw in them so you can "catch " them ,like in breakaway Ive also made some rescue eagles and vip eagles too.
your selling the hauler on e-bay right now....10/28/12
troy0571 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:14 AM   #14
Braddock001
Chef

I am so glad to find this place! I did not know that you guys were modifying Mattel Eagles!
Im so happy!
Braddock001 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote