Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Anderson - Reference Section, Member Builds and Detailing > Stingray > Member Builds

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #41
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Wish I could advise or assist.....

Malcolm, everything you shown us so far is exemplary model-building. If you don't want to show us anything more on this project, don't feel bad about it, and don't apologise. Can't offer you any advice on this most challenging part of the project, but perhaps there's a way for somebody on the ETF to help? Maybe the silver need to go on last? I don't know.....

Really sorry you feel this way about your efforts, just wish I could offer a crumb of comfort.

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 11:41 AM   #42
foggyhome
Hydroponics Technician

Hi,sorry to here your bad news,I can tell your hugely disappointed,it took me almost 20 years with mine and I'm still not happy with the shape but the painting wasn't a problem for me,so my point is if you want to sell what you have left I would be interested.Ray
foggyhome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #43
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Thanks folks
I've been down in the dumps since it happened as I'd spent six months on it. All the parts of the model were finished awaiting either painting or fixing in place and I thought the model was looking really good mostly thanks to Mamas excellent kit. During the build I did think of just leaving the model in grey primer as I could have lived with that, oh how I wish I had listened to myself. As you know there are areas I get very nervous about when building, either windows, cockpits and painting. Up to this point my models have more or less been one colour and when I start up again I will avoid multi colour vehicles that require masking.
I tried to solve the paint problem but the more I tried the more it got worse and there came a point when it was time to call it a day.
I don't like to give up and would still like to have a Stingray but at this point I don't know how to achieve it.
foggyhome thanks for the offer but the model is no longer in my hands.
Thanks all and I wish I could have finished it.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #44
Sea Devil
Travel Tube Technician

Hi Malcolm, when I painted my 3ft stingray I found it the most enjoyable part of the build you shouldn't give up so easily it's not rocket science. If you would like me to help you please send me an email julianw@corpoffice.co.uk and we'll sort this out. I do hope you haven't binned the model that would be a great shame as well as a waste of time and money.
Sea Devil is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #45
Cool Caveman
Weapons Technician

Sorry to hear of the trouble with the model.
The last Stingray I made was the Wave kit, a long long time ago, and although it's not that big, I do remember the fun and games I had masking the yellow and blue on the hull, trying to get it smooth looking. So I do sympathise.

Thanks for sharing what you made, it was good to see!
Cool Caveman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #46
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

For those who are interested I hope to start on another Stingray model sometime soon as I really want a model of this craft. Hopefully this time round I'll learn from my mistakes and maybe even improve on it.
Currently I'm working on the 22" Eagle kit which I bought last year so it'll fill the gap meantime.
Old 26-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #47
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Heartening news indeed.....

Hi Malcolm, hope you enjoy the Eagle project - all those tiny parts, and filling the ejector holes!!! It's worth it though.

I guess now that the dust has settled you maybe feel a wee bit better about another Stingray project. I'm sure I can speak for a few of us here when I say nothing would give me more pleasure than to see a finished model to your own exacting standards. Anyway, take your time and choose the moment carefully.

Kindest regards

Patrick
Old 01-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #48
Sea Devil
Travel Tube Technician

Hi Malcolm, have you found out what caused the problems with your stingray? without knowing you're likely make the same mistakes again. For example were the paints compatible with the primer, was there a reaction from the primer to the surface, or was the masking tape too sticky. There is no reason you can't paint this model to a high level but you must first understand the previous issues. good luck.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #49
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Hi Sea Devil

At the moment I'm still of the opinion I won't paint my Stingray Mk2 but that could change.
Thinking about the paint problems I had I believe there were at least two reasons it went pear shaped. The first is the silver I used which was Plasticote 109s, I've used this many times in the past as it dries really nice and even though I've never actually painted over it before and this is one reason it failed. The other reason perhaps I didn't wait long enough for the paint to cure as like many of us I was impatient to see the finished result.
There may be other reasons but for now I've gone off painting anything, even the 22" eagle kit I'm working on will not be painted.
Hope to start on Stingray very soon so I'm both looking forward to it and dreading doing it all again.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:22 AM   #50
Andernut
Waste Technician

Malcolm, it's important to allow plenty of time for paint to dry before applying masking tape and also I put silver on last as it covers any other colour.
I did this with my Supercar model [ Sci Fi & Fantasy Modeller , Modelling the 21st Century, V2 ] and it worked well, but I left each coat of paint for 3 to 4 days before masking.
Hope this helps, keep up the great work, I enjoy following your posts.

Best regards,
David.
Andernut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #51
Sea Devil
Travel Tube Technician

I agree with Andernut, the silver metallic was the last colour I put on as you can't cut back metallic paint. As long as all the paints are from the same manufacturer I don't think you'll have any issues with compatibility, therefore everything should dry properly given enough drying time. Don't be afraid to paint it's the best part of any build. If I were you I would start be test painting a small section first before continuing onto more important areas.
All the best!
Old 06-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #52
KevinD
Communications Officer

One thing I often do is stick the masking tape onto something else first and peel it off again and repeat a few times. It weakens the stickiness of it so that it is less likely to damage the surface but it will still mask fine.
KevinD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #53
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Hi Kevin
Yes thats the best way to get low tack masking tape. I've bought stuff that proclaims its low tack but it ain't in practice.
I have started my Stingray Mk2 so later on I'll begin another build page though I won't add too much on it as I don't want to bore you all with the same stuff.

Last edited by badsimmonds; 07-06-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #54
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Malcolm - if you ever do get another one, I will paint it for you if you wish. I've not painted a Stingray before but am fairly confident I could pull it off for you mate.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #55
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Hi Slate

Many thanks for the offer I'll keep it in mind.
I have actually started the Mk2 Stingray so I'll start posting on it soon once I get further ahead with it.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #56
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsimmonds View Post
Hi Slate

Many thanks for the offer I'll keep it in mind.
I have actually started the Mk2 Stingray so I'll start posting on it soon once I get further ahead with it.
Okay mate Best of luck with it!
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #57
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Seconded......

I'll echo Slate's best wishes Malcolm - good to hear the yard's back up and running after a lay-off. You WILL get there.

Kindest regards

Patrick