Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Events > 2013 Events

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 27-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #21
w8cmp
Science Officer

Have you got yourself some tables booked Phil ?

I gather the event is fully booked in terms of exhibitors and some people wanting to display have been turned away...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #22
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

no...nobody asked me and i took my eye off the ball.
deraenged is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

Anyone going tomorrow
Cannot makes todays event ?
andersonitis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #24
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Not many photos this time, as I went as Budget Trooper, which is not a costume conducive to viewfinders. I was pleasantly surprised by the warm reaction I got, I thought I'd be frightening the children, but instead they seemed to find me totally approachable, parents looked a bit worried mind. Loads of people knew who I was suppose to be and I was much photographed.

I only attended a couple of talks, the Space 1999 talk was a dreary, indistinct pointless affair from a couple of actors who clearly hadn't enjoyed working on the programme, and could remember nothing about it. The Blake's 7 talk was marginally better, but again, I got the impression that the actors were keen to be elsewhere, and I wished I was too. Indeed, I had intended getting some signatures on my trooper helmet, but Paul Darrow looked so miserable all day that I had no desire to share his company.

Another miserable presence was Frankie, my eldest, who was disappointed by,
1. My less than complete restoration of his battered in transit costume.
2. The MASSIVE queue for the Red Dwarf crew.
3. The crowds making it hard for massive shouldered cardboard covered kids to move about.
4. The fact that we'd missed the Red Dwarf talk.
This gave him a Darrowesque demeanour, and nobody wanted to photograph him. However, after lunch he rallied, the red dwarf queue was manageable, and when he got to the end of it, the actors were NICE to him. I am always grateful when this happens, I appreciate that these events must be a bit of a slog, but these people are heroes to many, they're being well paid, and a bit of consideration goes a very long way. Frankie was transformed by the encounter, and enjoyed the day greatly from then on, indeed as he happily walked away from the red dwarfers, with his prized autographs, for the first time that day, someone asked him for a photo.

Robin my youngest took a friend, and the two of them happily charged around the museum all day. I lost them time after time, but they always reappeared, each time with more kids trailing after them, and had a whale of a time.

I thought the balance of exhibits and traders was a Dr Who toy store or two off kilter, and I would have liked to see more models, but the cyberman and dalek exhibits were excellent, and the prop replicas were very nice. In fact, having seen Clanger68's beautifully put together Fed blaster, I am now less than satisfied with my own effort. The Scorpio clip gun was also much much nicer than pictures make it out to be, and I was very impressed by the level of craft in every object on the stand. Who was the bloke with the really really nicely finished Liberator gun? I bet you're a member of this forum. And thankyou to the prop builder who broke himself away from his Lawgiver project, to do some running repairs on Frankie's costume.

For me this is always a nice low key event, with plenty for children to do, and lots of very nice exhibits. I also think if actors are going to be such miseries, they should be chucked off their tables and some more fabulous models could be exhibited instead.

Thanks to everyone whose efforts went towards giving me an me lads a terrific day.

Last edited by Lrl; 10-03-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Lrl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #25
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

I also attended on the Saturday - was a bit of a last minute thing for me but I generally enjoyed it.

I thought the Red Dwarf panel was the best. I got the impression that they are more used to working with a live audience, so they knew how to work the crowd more than the others.

Was interesting to hear Prentice Hancock speak - but a lot of questions were trying to get his opinions on Season 2. ie. why wasn't he in it? He did tell us about the plans to relaunch the series "about a decade ago" which would have been more of a next generation kind of series. Paul would have been re-introduced as taking over from Koenig with a next gen cast gradually coming to the fore as the series got established.

Funniest thing was watching Nick Briggs and Phil Ford being stumped by a question from a three year old girl: why do cybermen have handles on their heads?

They also got stumped when someone thought the scripts for the Sarah Jane Adventures were too patronising - that is, trying to appeal to a teenage girl audience without really know how to write for that audience.

I saw Mr Lrl in his Trooper outfit, plus I thought the models in the Anderson Alley were pretty good - was the first time I've seen Eagle One (original) in real life.

Overall, the day really lifted my spirits.
PeteQ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #26
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

Heres some pics firstly some Dr Who
Old 11-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #27
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

I am a plonker & forgot how to multiple loads pics However if you click on my name you can see the Brit Scifi Album I uploaded, I went yesterday lunchtime & was amazed by the building, I wandered around looking for Anderson Alley & couldn't find it but took in the sites of Matt Irvines table of goodies & he was very friendly & funny, plus some guys called the Replica prop board who are a bunch of guys who your not going to believe it
Make replica props
They don't have a website or even have a leaflet & they were making Judge Dredd helmets while you wait, they were really great guys I think we need to know more about you fellas
Going past loads of tables of Dr Who/Blakes 7 stuff & other sci fi costumes, loads of daleks etc
I get a text from Duncan Willis saying Anderson Alley is just past the cafe
So off I wander into Shangrila
First table was Jamie Anderson & Sigma books selling the latest Menace from Space Comic strip book
Jamie's a great bloke really friendly & it's great he is going to represent his father Gerry in the future.
Opposite him was David Sissons table of his models which was outstanding as you could stand right next to them & dribble on them
I am about to upload more pics just devoted to them as in past Fanderson conventions & Cosford you were a few feet back, but you could peer over the models & see the most amazing detail & see why David is the undisputed King of models & a nice bloke
Next to him was All sections Alpha which is a collective of 1999 prop collectors original & replica but what was pleasing was to see them in the light as at Cosford it was dark where they last were displayed
There was loads of models to see inc a full size Moon buggy Awesome stuff
further down was Mamas Pitsilius of Studio 2 models who is the guy that produces the excellent Sky 1 kits & skydivers etc etc
But I only saw Sky 1 was there more models of yours there ?
Right down the end was a wall of an Alpha Moonbase console, loads of lights & switches & finally representing the puppets was Duncan Willis with loads of Thunderbirds characters plus Scarlet characters, Unwin & assorted Supercar characters plus a Mark Knopfler & guitar
I must say Duncan your Tin Tin is excellent
I spent an hour sitting with Duncan & his friend Keith while people came by & took photos & chatted with us
It was a great day & this event is on every year

It was advertised on the Fanderson website

I will be going next year

Thanks Guys
Old 12-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #28
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Doh..........I totally missed Anderson Alley, anyone have any more pictures?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #29
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

Did you click on my name & see my albums ?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #30
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

I asked Cap nSci fi
If he would create a seperate thread called Brit sci fi pics as I am a dunce when it comes to uploading pics on the forum

Old 12-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #31
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Found the second Album, looks like my comment on the lack of models was untrue, I withdraw it and apologise. Sign posting could have been better mind. Love the above, anyone know any more about it?

And what's that intreguing one at the bottom there?

Thanks for the photos, looks like I missed a top exhibit.

Last edited by Lrl; 12-03-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #32
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

That's one of the three laser tanks from 'The Infernal Machine'. They only appeared briefly in the episode. That particular one is the Eagle type tank built by Jim Small.

Doug.
fireflashfive is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #33
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Thank-you, did you have to look any of that up?
Old 13-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #34
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

Nope.......I'm a geek so know it all very well......lol
fireflashfive is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #35
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

You know your subject, for me it's the first ten years of 2000ad, UBER GEEKS ALL!