Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 09-04-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
Garuda
Eagle Pilot

Default Alpha astronauts (Airfix modification)

These are Alpha astronauts made from the Apollo Airfix set. Foot stands, cameras and tubing were cut away. Orange suit is painted with Humbrol matt orange, and helmet with gloss yellow. The visor is a mix of metallic copper and gloss black, which I think gave the desired effect (but not so visible in my photos).

They are handpainted, patches and all, and I carved the packs out of putty. In retrospect, next time I will look into printing decals instead. Putty was also used to fill the large Apollo style visor.

My intention was to display them with the PE12. I thought they were 1:87, but when I had bought them I saw they're really 1:72, and therefore somewhat big for the 12" eagle. Even so, I had fun working on them.

Original look:

Changed:

Garuda is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
RussellE
Astrophysics Technician

Great looking figures, Garuda.

Never let shyness get in the way of sharing your work. We all enjoy
seeing new creations and different ways of creating them. It's how
We learn and get ideas from each other.

Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: SHOOOOT!!! I lost my Travel Tube Technician standing with this
post!!
RussellE is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
doon
Communications Officer

Quote:
SHOOOOT!!! I lost my Travel Tube Technician standing with this
post!!
Hey Russell, look on the bright side... One Eagle Pilot comming up
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:29 PM   #4
RussellE
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by doon
Quote:
SHOOOOT!!! I lost my Travel Tube Technician standing with this
post!!
Hey Russell, look on the bright side... One Eagle Pilot comming up

Eagle Pilot?????

The darn Eagle LIFT makes me sick!!

Old 30-10-2006, 06:43 AM   #5
CR
Science Officer

I have recently completed my own conversion of some Airfix Apollo-style astronauts (from the 1/72 scale lunar lander kit) and placed them in a small diorama/vignette representing the NDA2 monitoring teams. I'd hoped to scratchbuild a moonbuggy to go with them, but that's for a later time.
Anyhoo, the Alphanauts turned out pretty well, and look similar to Garuda's. Details include scratchbuilt chest & backpacks, modified suits & helmets, and scratchbuilt commlocks (one clipped to a belt, one clipped to a chestpack). The diorama base includes some storage crates (the light grey cube-shaped ones, not the white trapezoidal ones), a scratchbuilt camera & tripod, and a scratchbuilt radiation monitoring post (the cylindrical thingy which appears in shots in "Breakaway" like this http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/.../b/spb0010.jpg , which also shows some of the storage crates I replicated).
Most details were hand painted, including spacesuit patches & all pack details. I used a few decals for numbering the storage crates (in Microgramma Bold Extended, as that's all I had at the time).

Yes, I'll post pics soon, but alas, I haven't got a camera that can get decent (sharply focused) close-ups, so the details will not be apparent. I did just enter the little scene in a local (if a two-hour drive distance can be considered local!) model contest, so hopefully when the sponsoring club's website posts their own pics, one of them will be a close-up of my model... I'll provide a link if so!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
RussellE
Astrophysics Technician

Sounds great, CR. Looking forward to the pics.
Old 31-10-2006, 04:21 AM   #7
CR
Science Officer

Well, here we go... I managed to get a few kind of OK pics uploaded. I hope there's enough detail in them to give you an idea of what I was describing; I couldn't get any closer without losing sharpness.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2006/NDA01.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2006/NDA02.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2006/NDA03.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2006/NDA04.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2006/NDA05.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2006/NDA06.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2006/NDA07.jpg

This was a fun project that's been in the works for a long time. I'll probably be remaking the base sometime, adding tracks & footprints. What you see was made in a hurry to get done for the contest.
Old 31-10-2006, 08:21 AM   #8
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Great work, CR! Congratulations to your beautyful mini diorama. It looks very detailed even without a close-up picture. But, how about a short description on what you changed on the Airfix Astronauts and what you added to make them look so alphan?
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #9
doon
Communications Officer

Great stuff CR! The guys look wonderful, I like the last diorama pic with the "frozen Apollo astronauts"
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 12:53 PM   #10
cricket
Medical Officer

The last picture with the original Apollo figures was very telling of the amount if effort that went into this. Lovely work.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #11
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Excellent job, I am loving those Astronauts, nice little conversions.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #12
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I have just taken a quick picture of my last Space 1999 model, similar in parts to CRs Astronauts, so at least we are both going in the same direction.

The figures and Moon Buggy are white metal and are in 1/48th scale so its about right for the 22 inch Eagle. The standing figure is converted from a seated one.

TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2006, 05:23 PM   #13
CR
Science Officer

Thanks, everyone for the kind words... I wish you'd been voting at the contest! (I lost to a bunch of Star Wars models, which looked fantastic, but two of them were 'out-of-box' without modifications. Oh, well!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter
Great work, CR! Congratulations to your beautyful mini diorama. It looks very detailed even without a close-up picture. But, how about a short description on what you changed on the Airfix Astronauts and what you added to make them look so alphan?
I touched on that a little in my earlier announcement, but I guess it wasn't specific enough, so here goes...
First off, I used the figures from the Lunar Lander model kit, since I felt the harder plastic would be easier to work with than the soft plastic of the Airfix astronauts set Garuda used. (Hats off to Garuda for pulling that off, by the way! )
I removed a lot of the suface detail from the astronauts' chests, namely the chest pack, life support hoses and attachment points. I also smoothed, or rather toned down a little, some of the wrinkles in the suits. The one astronaut holding the flagpole had the pole carefully removed in order to keep the his hand's fingers & thumb intact.
The helmets required the most modification. They were carefully ground down with a hand file & sandpaper to get the right general shape while leaving a lip or rim to represent the attachment collar. I added the top ridge with very thin strip styrene, and with even thinner strip styrene the visor frames.
Chestpacks and backpacks were scratchbuilt using square rod styrene cut & sanded to the correct shapes, with a little strip styrene detailing on the chestpacks. The black rectangular number plates are actually recessed slightly into the packs' surfaces. I was going to add a thin piece of copper wire connecting the backpacks to the helmets, but ran out of time.
Commlocks were scratchbuilt from more square rod styrene, with very thin round rod at the ends. As I mentioned, I attached one commlock to one astronaut's chestpack, the other commlock to the other astronaut's belt.
I don't remember if I did anything special to the wrist collars on the astronauts, though it looks like I at least 'squared them off', most likely with an X-acto knife rather than a file.
All painting on the astronauts was done by hand, with the remaining suit wrinkles made a slightly darker shade and some other areas picked out with highlights. I believe I scribed the numerals on the packs away with a knife blade, rather than painting them. (I may replace them with decals at some point.) The helmet details were carefully applied with a very thin paintbrush, and the visors painted copper to simulate the translucent amber visors on the real costumes. (No, I didn't add the astronauts' names to the helmets!) Zippers, belts & attachment collars for the neck & feet were also brushed on, and finally patches were brushed on. You might notice that the Alpha Moonbase crests lack the Earth & Moon at this point... oops!
The orange paint I mixed together (which looks way more red in these pics than in real life) turned out a bit glossy. I had wanted to apply a layer of dull coat to the astronauts except for their helmets, but I know the original costumes were somewhat 'shiny,' so I may leave them as is.

That's pretty much everything... hope you all enjoyed it! (So much for a short description! )

I'm also working on a set of 1/48 scale Alphanauts, modifying the astronauts from the Revell-Monogram 'First Lunar Landing' model kit... they'll basically be a scaled-up version of what I did here, but the proportions are a bit different and need some extra work. (For example, the legs seem a little short.)
Old 31-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #14
CR
Science Officer

Oh, not that it has anything to do with the 'nauts themselves, but the base is made from a spray painted jar lid with Woodland Scenics ballast added for regolith (lunar soil). The grey paint I used for the regolith bled under the mask I'd made, so I hand-retouched the black frame along the regolith's edge... it shows.
Old 31-10-2006, 05:38 PM   #15
CR
Science Officer

TonyB... you converted a metal figure? Wow!
As for your waste silo... hey, look, it's yet another Nuclear Waste Disposal Area, with yet another style of silo cap! (This is meant as a poke at all the different waste areas the moon suddenly "always" had during Season 2, not a poke at your creativity! I'm still trying to figure out what I want to use to replicate caps in the style of NDA2, and I'm not looking forward to scratchbuilding one!)

Old 31-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #16
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Thanks, CR, for your description. Hopefully I will be able to treat my soft plastic Airfix astronauts I recently found in a dark corner of my hobby room in the same way... Still I hope to see a closeup of your work soon. And... of course the Alphan astronauts have to cue behind my other projects.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #17
Garuda
Eagle Pilot

Wonderful work, CR! You managed to add more detail than I did. And your paint scheme is also more advanced. I'm especially impressed with your numerals on the packs. In this scale, that's a real feat. The numerals on mine are just white blotches... Your technique scribing the numerals is superior. And I didn't even attempt to do comlocks that small. Great work!

I didn't mind the soft plastic on mine. It wasn't too hard to cut away unwanted details with a very sharp knife. What I couldn't do was to sand the helmets into the right shape, I just filled out the apollo visor with putty and painted a new smaller Alpha visor. For that reason, my helmets are a little to big and of the wrong shape, but I don't find this too distracting on the finished figures. I was also warned that the paint would not attach well to the soft vinyl, but this has not been any problem.

One of your astronauts is the same model I used, for the other I chose the one carrying the cylinder and pack. The paint job on these has no factual background in the series, it's just my imagination.

And I really like your photo above, the one with the unmodified astronauts beside the new ones. There something supernatural about it, as if the ghosts of Apollo are overseeing the work of their future colleagues. Could have been an idea for season 3, perhaps?
Garuda is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 04:58 AM   #18
CR
Science Officer

Garuda, that "ghosts" notion is kind of neat... I'd never thought of it that way!

The 2006 contest pics I mentioned are finally up at The Glue Crew website (specifically, the site has a Fotki link), and my Alphanauts ended up being photographed twice.
http://public.fotki.com/1973moparmod...6/gc06212.html
http://public.fotki.com/1973moparmod...6/gc06218.html

Also, I'm in at least one pic, though it's so blurry, I can only ID myself because I know I was standing there. (I'm the guy just behind the black-shirted man bending over the table; his left arm partially obscures me. I'm wearing faded blue jeans & tan shirt, and am hoilding my friend's digital camera. Good likeness, really; I often feeel that blurry! ) http://public.fotki.com/1973moparmod...6/gc06244.html

Glue Crew pics taken by Mark Sillars, and I presume copyright (if any) goes to him and/or The Glue Crew.