Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 03-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
GunTruck
Weapons Technician

Default Soontir Fel's TIE Interceptor

Along the way towards finishing my M4A1(76)W Sherman, I got asked to do a TIE Fighter for a customer who bought one from me a little while ago. I wanted to share some photos of it nearly done before I send it off to ravage a new region of space. I love building these Fine Molds kits.

http://www.guntruck.com/Resources/TI...FelKessel.jpeg

This one is a 1:72 scale representation of the TIE Interceptor flown by Imperial Ace Colonel Soontir Fel, commanding the 181st Imperial Fighter Group. Their exploits are written about in several SW: Expanded Universe novels. The ship was not seen on film, but the 181st is covered in several novels and video games.

The 181st got their TIE Interceptors, and flew them in the Battle for Endor. All aces in the elite squadron painted blood stripes on their Interceptors upon reaching 10 kills, and wore red piping on their uniforms. Fel was considered the best fighter pilot in the Imperial Navy. For a time, he became disillusioned with the Empire (after the death of Emperor Palpatine at Endor) and defected to the Rebel Alliance. With the Alliance, he flew in the elite Rogue Squadron. Later, Fel returned to the Imperial Navy.

Fel is considered the second best pilot in the Galaxy - second only to Wedge Antilles of the Rebel Alliance. I guess participating in the destruction of both Death Stars goes along way to ranking...

http://www.guntruck.com/Resources/TI...Fel001big.jpeg

http://www.guntruck.com/Resources/TI...Fel003big.jpeg

http://www.guntruck.com/Resources/TI...Fel006big.jpeg

http://www.guntruck.com/Resources/TI...Fel007big.jpeg

My miniature of Colonel Fel's ship, Saber 1, is nearly done - some of the weathering is still drying in the photos, but safe to handle. At this time of the fight against the Rebel Alliance, the Imperials are not as spit and polish as shown in the movies - and the 181st especially got into intense scrapes against Rogue Squadron. This gives opportunity to model more weathering on TIE Fighters than the time period on-screen. They dished out a lot of punishment on Rebel Forces, but took a lot in return.

The model colors are based on descriptions of the studio model finishing from local modeler Roy Sutherland, who's worked for ILM on a couple of the SW movies.

I think if I get up the nerve, I'm going to do an Interceptor flown by one of the Crimson Guard - all red - pretty interesting looking when compared to other squints.

If you haven't purchased a Fine Molds SW kit - I highly recommend them. They are a lot of fun to put together and finish. I dream of the day those guys discover Space:1999, a FM Eagle Transporter would be wonderful from them...

Thanks for lookin'!
Jim
GunTruck is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Rdrunner
Eagle Pilot

Awesome job there , Jim

Fine Molds do make some good kits
Rdrunner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
w8cmp
Science Officer

Love it...

I agree about Fine Molds - I have several X-Wings, all the TIEs, Slave One, Jedi ship and of course the Falcon. All in various states of build at present, but they go together like a dream with no visible seams.

I bet even our Commander would enjoy building some of these for his Imperial display...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
GunTruck
Weapons Technician

Thanks guys!
GunTruck is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
Raytheon
Life Support Technician

VERY nice.
Never had the oppourtunity to build any Finemolds stuff myself but just going by that one, can't argue with the quality and it's a excellent build you have there.
Raytheon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
tak5haka
Eagle Pilot

Excellent job, I have both TIEs and Boba's Slave 1 in the build pile and an FM X-Wing in the works and am looking forward to doing them.

I agree that everyone should get at least one FineMolds kits, they are such a dream to build!

You should go for the Crimson Guard version, that would be excellent!
tak5haka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #7
Eagle
Commander Ret.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...pic.php?t=1769
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Nice TIE Interceptor model.

I have not tried any of the Finemolds kits to date, I did fancy getting an X Wing and one of the Jedi Fighters, but never got around to getting them.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote