Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 20-04-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Default Another one in the bag.

This is what's held my attention for the last seven days. It's a table top display for a proposed fish processing factory in Sri Lanka. It may not be glamourous but it pays the rent. They wanted it plain and blocky rather than photo realistic so no weathering or fussy detail. It was just to show the site layout. I had to make 65 window frames by hand because I couldn't get anything close enough commercially. The whole lot is constructed from corrugated plastic sheet, perspex and wood in parts. The small security building was lifted from an old Faller kit. In addition to the display, they wanted me to build a case for transporting too. The base board measures just a tad under 1.2 meters diameter. It had to be done fast so anywhere corners could be cut, they were. The curved canopy over the reception doors, for example, is a small section cut from the clear fuselage of a Tamiya Bell X-1 kit.

Seven very long and concentrated days finally over. More importantly, they were delighted and the cheque was in the bank before the ink was dry. I'm going for a long lie down now.

DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

That's good going, Chris - 7 days!

I am always impressed how you professional model makers can achieve so much in such a short period of time.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
I am always impressed how you professional model makers can achieve so much in such a short period of time.
Ask them if they enjoy it though. I was adding the last parts just ten minutes before putting it in the car to deliver. That's called cutting it fine. I'm sure seven days of adrenalin mixed with coffee can't do you any good. I feel exhausted. God bless 5 minute epoxy and Superglue.
Old 20-04-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
cricket
Medical Officer

Slick job! Tell me, are the blue lampposts really that shade of electric blue over there?
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 11:55 PM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

That's the corporate colours and I figured they could paint their personal lamposts any damn colour they wanted to. The guy I did the job for has a thing for blue and white. Always keep the customer happy.

Old 21-04-2007, 12:37 AM   #6
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX
The guy I did the job for has a thing for blue and white. Always keep the customer happy.
A motto to live by!
Old 21-04-2007, 12:47 AM   #7
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Lovely work. I too am amazed at how quickly the professionals manage to do this stuff. Must be good coffee...and essential ingredient after all.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 05:03 AM   #8
ostrein
Communications Officer

Great job - well done ..

65 window frames made by hand - just for this I would need more then 7 days ...

ostrein is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 07:14 AM   #9
w8cmp
Science Officer

Excellent work...looks very tidy.

Any disasters along the way, or problems obtaining the right materials? That would be the sort of thing which would make me panic with such a short timescale to work to...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 08:22 AM   #10
CR
Science Officer

Very nice, DX! Scratchbuilt window frames? Ugh! (Ugh for the work involved, not for the excellent way they turned out!)

Reminds me of a freelance job I almost got to do, many years ago... a local hobby shop owner had reccommended me to reps from a local food distributing business, and there was interest in using models to illustrate various things that business did. Unfortunately, the reps' boss didn't think it was a good idea, and nixed the project. (At least I hadn't started any actual work; I just had some preliminary design sketches ready to polish up for submission.)
Like you said, keep the customer happy. In my case, what made the customer happy was his not having to pay me. (I wonder what he did to the reps who suggested the idea... )
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-04-2007, 08:26 AM   #11
Gumdrop and Spider
Astrophysics Technician

Beautiful craftmanship
Gumdrop and Spider is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 08:29 AM   #12
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Any disasters along the way?
Model makers don't have disasters. They have learning experiences. Fortunately I learnt nothing on this one.

Quote:
or problems obtaining the right materials?
Yes, easily the biggest source of stress and the thing that forces you to be creative and come up with alternatives, hence the Faller and Tamiya kit parts. The handrails came from a Kibri railway kit. It's not just the building time. It's the time also used up running around trying to get the stupidest of small items like double sided sticky tape (for the signage) or iron on Formica edging strip the right width to add around the baseboard. I gave up trying to get M6 wingnuts for the box top. It should have been easy but everywhere I went had 4, 5, 8 and M10 wing nuts but an empty space where the M6 should be. OK, not a deal breaker as I used ordinary M6 nuts but I wasted an hour trying before coming back to regular nuts. On a tight job, an hour can be precious.

BTW, the 65 window frames took two complete days and a further day went just cutting out the sides of the buildings and cutting the window apertures accurately. I made up a jig for the frames and my EMA "Chopper" guillotine was a life saver cutting all the strip. The smallest windows were modified chopped up ladders from several Ratio signal gantry kits.
Old 21-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #13
JJL567
Eagle Pilot

Great work Chris.

It's amazing what can be done in such a short space of time.

It's funny, as when I hit that dreaded brick wall during the 44" AB build (and there have been a few), I found that a sudden burst of speed and determination to conquer the problem helped me get past it, and back on the road of progress again.
Must be exhausting to stay tuned like this for a whole week!

Respect due.

JJL567 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 03:32 PM   #14
Garuda
Eagle Pilot

That is very beautiful. The customer must be very pleased.

(We have blue lampposts in my town, btw, of a slightly darker hue)
Garuda is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #15
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

.... And there's more.

Got a call Friday night saying can I organise some cars for the car park and could I get hold of a refrigerated truck in their corporate colours and could my client have them Sunday morning? No pressure.

So Friday proved a frantic internet search looking for model shops that stocked model vehicles in the right scale which wasn't a great help since I couldn't get them by mail order that quickly. Saturday morning saw a telephone call to "The Engine Shed" at Gaugemaster House at Arundel which had what I wanted (sort of) but was a good hour and a half drive away. By lunchtime, I'm standing in the middle of their shop with four very good, if expensive Wiking car models but looking at the only truck which even remotely looks like the picture I was sent. The model had a low loader trailer with an earth digger and a bulldozer on the back but it least it had the right cab.

Home by three thirty in the afternoon chopping up the trailer and using three sets of the wheels to make the underframe to what eventually will be the refrigerated box section. By eight thirty there's an unpainted box trailer sitting on the workbench and by ten the entire thing is painted in the basic white colour (it started out as yellow and a dark grey/brown). At this point, I think I've done enough for the day.

Sunday morning, got up early, generated some blue stripes in photoshop, printed them on good quality paper, cut and glued them into the convoluted pattern shown on the original photo and headed down to the client near Gatwick airport. Surely now they've had enough blood from me?

Old 22-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #16
preHEstoric
Astrophysics Technician

I'm surprised you didn't have time to motorise them as well to have them driving around the carpark.
preHEstoric is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #17
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I think most of it stems from non model making types not understanding how long this stuff takes.
Old 22-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #18
cricket
Medical Officer

pictures?
Old 22-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #19
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Of the truck? Didn't have time. What I want to know is, where did my weekend go?
Old 22-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #20
cricket
Medical Officer

Into the bank?