Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Anderson - Reference Section, Member Builds and Detailing > UFO > Shado mobile

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
eagle44
Astrophysics Technician

Default SHADO mobiles..how many were there ?

As the title suggests ,
Do any of you wonderful UFO chaps know how many Mobiles would be required to make up a full set ?, or would it be as per the PE models.. SHADO 1, SHADO 2 and SHADO Control, or were there more seen (not different sized props) in the show ?.
Seem to remember it noted elsewhere that there was a SHADO 4 , any thought's would be greatfully received.
Regards to all..Ian "eagle44".

--------------------------------------
eagle44 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Graham N
Life Support Technician

Default SHADO mobiles..how many were there ?

Hello Ian,

As far as I am aware there were only three studio scale Mobiles built but they were renumbered throughout the series to give the impression of (one?) more.

SHADO Control and Mobiles 1, 2 & 3 being seen and referred to, but of course, only three were seen together at any one time.

Despite this, I think a full set (in my opinion) would be four!

Graham
Graham N is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
eagle44
Astrophysics Technician

Default and todays number is...4...

Thankyou very much for the quick reply Graham ,
Just bought the three PE's and I have a second SHADO 2 to play with / convert .
Just hope nobody comes up with a higher number of Mobiles !!, for instance the total fleet of vehicles would have numbered 50...
Regards from Guernsey..Ian "eagle44".

-----------
Old 30-04-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I bought four and converted a second Control vehicle by removing the Dish and filling in the holes. You needed to have two flat roofs in there somewhere, and yes its 1, 2, 3, and Control
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

and considering in one episode they were being transported across the Atlantic, this means that they did not have separate depots for America, Europe, Russia, and Australasia, so they apparently only had 4 in the world - skinflints!

I't a wonder that the aliens didn't realise this and try to ensure they got through in Europe, Australia, and America at the same time.
Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
eagle44
Astrophysics Technician

Default Damn right...

Thanks for the suggestions and useful info, and the obvious way to rule the world..as below (Weaponsmith ).
Regards to you all..Ian "eagle44"

Quote:
and considering in one episode they were being transported across the Atlantic, this means that they did not have separate depots for America, Europe, Russia, and Australasia, so they apparently only had 4 in the world - skinflints!

I't a wonder that the aliens didn't realise this and try to ensure they got through in Europe, Australia, and America at the same time.

------------------------------------
Old 30-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
JD
Medical Officer

The Shado Transporter that Alec diverts to Ireland in 'A Question of Priorities' is a routine flight from New York, which suggests that it's one of many.

I've always drawn the conclusion that there would have been a fleet of these aircraft, and the four Mobiles that each carried were consistently marked. True, the only license plates we ever saw were '579224' and '224579', but that's just the show's budget, not SHADO's!
JD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

I've no doubt the vehicles featured directly in the show were Shado 1 Shado 2 Shado 3 and the Control mobile.

But! I think it would be plausible that far more than 4 total mobiles existed. The number system is also consistent with Interceptor 1 Interceptor 2 Interceptor 3

So I would put forward the numbering was for each mission rather than a specific vehicle. So one might expect a maximum of 4 mobiles dispatched on a mission. There would be control, and mobiles 1, 2 and 3. But elsewhere in the world such in the US there could have been other mobiles 1, 2 and 3 and therefore a greater total than 4 is actually suggested in the show.

Hope that makes some sense?

In the same way we only saw Sky 1 directly but in one episode two aircraft are swapped over. The new one to be consistent was also 'Sky 1' in terms of operational status. I.E. it identified the aircraft in terms of it's operational status with a particular Diver unit as opposed to the actual airframe. The show does mention a fleet of submarines so one can only assume Sky 2, Sky 3 etc also existed.

I guess it was forward thinking to have easily changeable vehicle numbers, perhaps they were predicting the widespread use of vinyl stickers lol.

One could then go on to ponder that if there had been that mass attack that was always feared Shado 5 6 7 etc would have been featured if it were required to send in 7 mobiles for a particular mission.
Odahs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #9
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
. True, the only license plates we ever saw were '579224' and '224579', but that's just the show's budget, not SHADO's!
Why would they have license plates?

Shado is a secret organization! To allay suspicion? Oh, right: a huge square tank like vehicle wouldn't attract attention in itself.

Especially with SHADO on the side.
Ham Salad is on duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
Odahs
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
Why would they have license plates?

Shado is a secret organization! To allay suspicion? Oh, right: a huge square tank like vehicle wouldn't attract attention in itself.

Especially with SHADO on the side.
I would put forward they were not so much conventional license plates but serial numbers to identify a given chassis or vehicle.

The mobiles were never shown on roads in the series they had their own road transporters to conceal them until they arrived close to the mission area.

Therefore, no need for license plates. Having serial numbers to identify a given machine though, adds weight to the 'theoretical' argument I gave for the number system too.

It carried on in Space 1999, how many times did 'Eagle 1' get trashed only for it to return the following week? Same idea - Eagle 1 refers to it's tactical status, not a particular machine. I bet Eagles had serial numbers somewhere for each airframe though, just like the 'license plate' on the mobiles.

Alternatively the series and model creators just didn't think it all out, but I'm sticking with my theory
Odahs is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #11
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

To the original question - you can never have enough
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote