Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Anderson - Reference Section, Member Builds and Detailing > UFO > Shado mobile

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 19-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #81
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

JBOT was looking into some, but has been off line for a little while. He's in the process of catching up now. For the acetone I used a rag for the larger areas. You can wipe on and gently off with ease this way, and I used a brush to the areas over and close to decals and windows and on the cabin roof with all the detail. Stay away from the plastic with the stuff. It literally wipes straight off, but you will start going through the blue with reasonable effort so be gentle and all is well.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #82
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

cheers for that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #83
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
JBOT was looking into some, but has been off line for a little while. He's in the process of catching up now. For the acetone I used a rag for the larger areas. You can wipe on and gently off with ease this way, and I used a brush to the areas over and close to decals and windows and on the cabin roof with all the detail. Stay away from the plastic with the stuff. It literally wipes straight off, but you will start going through the blue with reasonable effort so be gentle and all is well.
When you guys say "Acetone" what do you mean exactly (product?). Is this stuff just nail varnish remover??

Slate
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #84
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

More powerful I think, you can only get it through chemists and chemical supplies. I got my bottle through our local chemist, but its not so easy to get. They ordered it in for me. No doubt someone here will have all the chemical details
Old 21-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #85
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Nail varnish remover is basically acetone. You could try cellulose thinners too which is similar and easy to source from car spares shops. Be warned that both can remove MOST paints, not just the weathering colour, and they can melt certain plastics so go carefully.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #86
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Yes, you can't remove the weathering from the dish on the Control vehicle with it because you start removing the dish as well In the case of the mobile the Acetone didn't make any real dent on the blue base paint, perhaps because the dirt and decals needed so little to remove them. Not so on the dish I mentioned. It started to eat through the lot straight away.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #87
Mako
Alphan

Default Shado 3 Decals, and others?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group, but have been following the Shado Mobile postings with interest.

I would have liked to have purchased the cleaner variants, to eliminate the need to remove the brown paint, but due to their still much higher price, and limited availability in the USA, I have bought the ones with brown splotches instead.

I will attempt to clean them up, to make them better looking, as suggested.

I am interested in coverting a Shado 1 to a Shado 3 model, if the decals are available for that.

Depending upon how the paint removal goes, I may also be in need of decals for the other models as well.

Please let me know the cost for the decals, if they are available, and who I can purchase them from.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rob
Mako is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #88
Mako
Alphan

Default Standing figures for Mobile Crews and Aliens?

I would also like to know if anyone has come up for any standing crew figures for the Mobiles, and stand-ins for the Aliens, in 1/48th, or 25mm/28mm scale?

I would like to use them for a diorama, or wargame, so could use some suggestions as to which figures might be suitable for them, and/or can be fairly easily converted to look decent.
Mako is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #89
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Welcome Mako. I think one of our number was talking to Jim from JBOT decals, but nothing has come from that. So its a matter of making do. Painting on the 3 may be the best way to go if you have an airbrush you can use.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #90
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Quote:
I would also like to know if anyone has come up for any standing crew figures for the Mobiles, and stand-ins for the Aliens, in 1/48th, or 25mm/28mm scale?

I would like to use them for a diorama, or wargame, so could use some suggestions as to which figures might be suitable for them, and/or can be fairly easily converted to look decent.
Yes in 1/48th scale, although they had to be converted. The Shado personel and the Aliens are conversions from 1/48th scale pilot & Nato ground crew figures, I just forget the name of the company, its 'Air' something or other.

and

TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #91
Interceptor6
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I am interested in coverting a Shado 1 to a Shado 3 model, if the decals are available for that.

Depending upon how the paint removal goes, I may also be in need of decals for the other models as well.

Please let me know the cost for the decals, if they are available, and who I can purchase them from.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rob
Hi Rob, Glad to see this thread revitalized!
I'll be checking out a set of SHADO mobile stickers for my Dinky fleet tomorrow (first attempt). I work for the local traffic dept. and finally convinced the sign maker to run me off a set of plotter cut vinyl ones for my Dinks. If they work out well, I think they'll fit the PE mobile as well?
I've got a fleet of Dinky's but no PE yet!
Cheers, I6
Interceptor6 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:26 AM   #92
Interceptor6
Astrophysics Technician

Tony, those diarama's are great! I was chuckling about the two aliens out for a joyride in Strakers car, until I saw him on the ground!
Nice work!
I6
Interceptor6 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #93
HUNCH
Communications Officer

I'm still too afraid to take the acetone to mine! WUSS!
HUNCH is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #94
Doomsday
Communications Officer

I n the first photo, did the UFO crash because they were reading the large ALIEN sign at the back of the trees?
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #95
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Followed Bishop's and others lead and dismantled the new SHADO Mobiles and renovated one of the old ones and made it SHADO 3. I tried lowering the chassis, but although that improves things, it does make the mobile a bit too low down I felt, so returned it to the default setting. On mine half the crew weren't even sitting in the seats and I felt that their upper bodies were too long so after some hacking about they now sit at a better height. I intend dirtying down the windows, so they won't be so visible anyway.

Had great difficulty in opening up SHADO 1. Must have been a Friday afternoon job as the screws were virtually impossible to remove. Got the rear one out eventually but had to use brute force and a screwdriver to force the front one to break.

One thing I did notice though, which I haven't seen anyone mention is that only the dish of SHADO Control rotates, whereas the whole system should. Ironically if PE had built it properly they would only have needed to drill one hole in the roof instead of four. If I had a drill capable of going through the metal I'd fix that, but as it is it will have to stay as is.

Apart from adding number plates I have left the decals alone. I messed up SHADO 3 using celullose thinners - got the brown off but also the decals so had to make new decals for the whole thing. I know that the numbers are too small, but opted to replicate the smaller size to keep them all the same.

You can see that the horrible brown gets lighter and lighter as the clean versions get released, SHADO 1 being the last and cleanest.

Hope to get round to photographing them sometime.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #96
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I used a leather strip to add the height needed on the suspension. I think there are pictures somewhere. I have no idea why they sprung the things so high... just like the feet on the 23" Looking forward to the photos when you can.