Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Anderson - Reference Section, Member Builds and Detailing > UFO > Shado mobile

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #41
shadopilot
Communications Officer

and were are pictures of your Mobile!! wheres a list of all the kit parts you know of!! Put your money where your mouth is, Bro!! I did!! I bought the kits and researched the parts. I'll build my mobile any damb way I want too! If I add a few extra bits to fill in missing detail then thats OK with me. I can always replace them later on. I've been a modelmaker for over 30 years and am happy to share any info and ideas to all who are interested. I researched what I could find on the Mobile and picked this forum to post it. It seemed to be the most professional one I could find. I don't need to be shot down by sombody who as far as I can tell hasn't built one of these. I'm posting what I find and am hoping to get more information from others who read it. I've received several emails thanking me for my research. The best was from the correspondance I've been having with Mr.Bower who thinks I'm doing a fine job!! Chris.
shadopilot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #42
Barrington Bond
Astrophysics Technician

Methinks I'll never be a competition standard modeller and I have no intention of spending that much time on a model. Also I'll never be able to make a replica but only my take on it and if I see something I would like to improve upon I probably will do so. For example with Sky 1 I would certainly add ramjet exhausts at the bottom of the rear fuselage to match up with the underslung intake at front. I quite like the idea of the beefed up rear end for the mobile for more solidity. Looking at the front picture of the mobile I have there seems to be far too much clutter very close to the ground so I probably would not put that in if I was making a remote control one.

Please more bits and pieces and from what kit (not yet convinced about the Airfix Harrier yet though!).

Anyone interested in trying to identify the parts on the UFO Moon rocket launcher tank?

Hopefully helpfully,
Barry
Barrington Bond is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #43
TonyB
Forum Supporter

shadopilot, two points to mention here....

First point, please keep your tone and the content of your replies civil on the forum at all times, there is absolutely no need for that tone at all, nor for some of the comments that you made, we will not tolerate 'flaming' on this forum, please do not let the situation degrade further.

Second point, before you go off on one and 'flame' another member, try to take the time and effort to find out exactly who it is that you are blasting away at, as you may just end up being surprised.

It is not up to me to reveal the 'real' name of Mark42, lets just say that he does not need to 'justify' himself or his model career to the rest of us 'mere mortal' model builders. Suffice it to say that he HAS built a studio scale Shado Mobile along with dozens of other absolutely fantastic models.

And the pictures of his Shado Mobile and other models are available to view on his own website.

One very tiny clue here, try looking in Mark42's profile in the Memberlist, his website address is definately listed there.

Hopefully this will be the end of any misunderstanding that has arisen.

Reply edited for typo's.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #44
shadopilot
Communications Officer

Apparently one isnt allowed to defend himself from negative critisism on this forum. I was only trying to help others in their Shado buildup. Guess I posted all this on the wrong websight. I hope what info I posted helps those who care. Even if there may be a mistake. Yeah, the Airfix Harrier part I'm not sure of either. It was sent to me by someone else. My Mobile had that part molded on already. Just filter through the info. and check your kit parts. I enjoyed my time here and thanks for all the wonderful and helpfull emails I got from some of the members.. I'm done here.
shadopilot is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #45
TonyB
Forum Supporter

shadopilot, please note that I was not criticising your right to 'defend' yourself or your point of view in this matter. However I was criticising the manner in which you did it.

You have provided some useful information on the website which has been welcomed, and I would ask you to reconsider your decision.

Please just put this matter down to experience and lets go back to being a friendly fun forum again.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #46
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

What Mark 42 is saying is don't assume that Martin's model is accurate unless you want to build a replica of Martin's replica. Martin builds them quick for clients and invents where he doesn't have instant or easily accessible reference or knowledge (see notes about perspex cabin windows). I agree that it does seem daft to buy all the right kits and then assemble them based on an incorrect replica if you have on screen reference that contradicts it. Mark 42 has built several studio scale Mobile replicas and has another on the go as we speak. You'll find the money here:

http://homepages.tesco.net/d.sisson/shadomobile.htm

I recently collaborated in a small way putting some comparison pics together for his latest build. He also publishes more articles on building this stuff and is more widely read (by others) than virtually anyone I know. I think you mistook his comments as a personal criticism. Obviously you can defend yourself but there are other ways than picking up your football and going home. It's better to assume no offence is intended and put it down to not hearing the inflections in the words because it's text, rather than going for the jugular (How do you kill a circus? Go for the Juggler). I'm sure he'd feel mortified when he sees your reaction.

Up until now I've found the thread interesting and informative as I'm putting together material for building my own Mobile and I'm sure most of the readership feel the same.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #47
Barrington Bond
Astrophysics Technician

What is an accurate replica anyway when Shado 1 in Computer Affair changes details in the episode!

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ent=shado1.jpg

In the first shot of Shado 1 coming out of the cargo jet it has what looks like a footbrace?(Honest John kit?!) stuck over its drivers light and also the other light does not seem to have any bulbs inside it.

Did all of the Mobiles have the exact same detail on the back? Who knows, the only onscreen good shot of the rear appears in this particular episode.

On studying the screen caps I have done it seems like there are 3 bulbs in each headlight. I just noticed on the old Dinky toy there are 3 little hemispheres for each light detail. Strange not spotting that after all these years...

Hopefully helpfully,
Barry
Old 23-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #48
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Sorry if I offended you but no offence was meant, I did write my posting in a hurry and I normally rewrite them several times to try and remove any possible misunderstanding.
My concern is that you have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on kits, collected pictures from various magazines and television screen images and made around 30 postings on this site just about this one subject - so I thought you were very serious about doing it right. But then you assemble the parts differently to the original, possibly by just trusting too much in the efforts of another modelmaker, and post images that could lead others down the same wrong path by mistake.
After all your efforts I just wanted to see you do it right - thats all! - and improve on my last attempts, as I also hope to do in future.

The 'build what you see' comment came from an article I read with a Hollywood Matte Painter who's first job was to paint a landscape picture and he painted the grass green. His supervisior asked why he had done that and he replied that grass was green, to which the supervisor lead him to a window pointed to some grassland and said 'Thats what it looks like, paint what you see not what you think you see!'
This applies to us model makers as many people at some stage seem to stop looking at the pictures,start inventing and end up building something completely different. If the parts you've made don't look the same as the reference pictures then clearly somethings gone wrong. My attitude is to change it and try again.

The back end of my current Mobile is reasonable but the next one should be better as it will include the Tillie the Tollier bits. Strangely on the original models the back panel does hang away from the rest of the chassis. I had thought this was because the model was broken but there is actually a 4inch long kit part fitted horizontally across the top to support it this way.
Cheers and sorry if you felt I was attacking your efforts.

Ps the round things above the rear axles are gun turrets from the Airfix B-29 kit.

Yes each headlight does consist of 3 small lightbulbs. The shot of the Mobiles coming out of the cargo plane might have been filmed later in the day as the Shado 1 model does seem to have a bit of damage to the front, the frame appears to be missing from the light. Also nether of the four models that emerge seem to have the small Autogyro kitparts for the door handles and only Shado 3 has them later - so should they really be considered as standard?
Basically the Mobiles were all very similar but had slight differences in minor areas, some kit part detailing and more noticably the small decals and lettering. When you assemble several models using the same parts they still seem to go together slightly differently.
Episode E.S.P is a strange one as several shots of Fosters Mobile are 'flopped' images with the model outfitted with reversed decals which therefore read correctly on screen, although the swopped over kit part detailing and exhaust stack give the game away.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2006, 09:38 PM   #49
Barrington Bond
Astrophysics Technician

That's interesting about the flopped mobile. In the first shot in ESP of it backing out of the Markers lorry it's okay. If you look closely at the roof in the shot where it is flopped I can see something sticking out of the roof that looks like the switches that appear on the radar mobile. Perhaps it is the radar one with the dish taken off and reversed decals applied but the other side left alone. Were there any shots of the radar mobiles left side or did its right side only appear on screen?

Also inSquare Triangle there is a scene through the mobiles windscreen over UFO wreckage and Mobile 3 driving in the background. As the light catches it there area that says Shado 3 on the side is very reflective as though a rectangular sticker with the writing has been placed on the side.

Just what is the maximum amount of mobiles seen in any one shot? 3?

Just noticed something else. In a publicity shot of The Long Sleep the radar mobile just says Shado on the side not Shado Control as in Computer Affair. But if you look closely there appears to be two strips over the bit that would read Control. AND a panel covering the area where a number would appear after Shado eg 1,2 or 3.

Hopefully helpfully,
Barry
Old 24-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #50
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Yes the mobiles did seem to get renumbered during the series. Its possible that there may only have been three of them in total although four are featured in The Computer Affair, with only three appearing on screen at any one time. In this episode one mobile does explode but its hard to tell if this was an actual mobile cut up and filled with explosives or just a quick mock-up. Usually they are dummy versions but in the brief glimpse you get it looks reasonably detailed.
Shado Control was converted to Shado 1 in The Square Triangle with a bit of coloured tape over the word control. In A Question of Priorities it becomes Shado 2 and then in The Sound of Silence it has the number covered up with more tape and from then on is is simply known as Shado.
Of course the Mobile in the often printed profile photographs has 3 on the rightside and 1 on the left which adds to the confusion. In a Question of Priorities it also has 1 on the rightside.
The switchs on top could be for the radar and the lights.

Old 25-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #51
chas b
Geological Technician

Hi chaps.This is my first post,this Mobile thread has me interested!
I've been working on a Mobile for three or four years,unfortunately a seperation,becoming a single parent and finding a new home have all held the project up but hopefully i will find time to continue with it.
Re. discussion on how many mobiles there were someone said three are seen in C. Affair (1 2 &3) in one shot. What cofuses things more is that the 'numberplates' also change. We see Mob 3 trundle into action which should be 579224 according to profile shots but when we see the back close-up it's 224579.
If they had three models at their disposal why did they put different numbers on each side? eg. Mob 3 could have numeral 3 on both sides.
Re. the headlights C. Affair shows lights without the three 'bulbs'. ( see the profile shots of Mob 3/ 1 to see what I mean). I think the working lights were added later in the series (but when were the profile shots of Mob 3/1 taken ? They show the headlights seen in C. Affair but I thought the profile shots were taken after the series was made so should show the 'bulbs'. Mob 3/1 does not have any rear lights either but these were seen later in the series).
More questions than answers here I know but that's what this forum is about I suppose!

Chas b
chas b is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #52
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Hi Chas B and welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear of your troubles but see you have a keen eye for detail and your comments have got me thinking - and looking at the DVDs in detail.
Firstly you are right when you mention the number plates seeming to change BUT in the closeups you cannot see the number on the model! Just because the script says we see the wheels of Mobile 3 doesn't mean the SFX boys used that model for the shot, they would use the best detailed model.
This brings me back to were there only 3 Mobile models and the answer might now be yes. The off loading of the Mobiles shows four vehicles emerging from the plane but the important detail is that it occurs in two very different shots, Shado Control and Shado 1 in closeup from the front and Shado 2 and Shado 3 from the rear view. Details on the models change during the following action sequence and the closeup of Shado 1 in the forest is not the same model as the Shado 1 that comes off the plane. This closeup model has exactly the same detail as Shado Control!
Secondly Shado 1 that comes off the plane has no minor decal detailing and a different shape side panel - exactly the same as the Shado 2 that appears in the forest.
Confused. This all might happen if there were only three Mobile models made for the series and heres how it might all have occured- stay with me on this.
They started filming the forest sequence using the three models known as Shado's 1,2 and 3. 1 and 3 appear clearly in closeup and have extra decal details attached to make them presentable.
Shado 1 is then converted to Shado Control and filming continues in the forest with 2 and 3.
Shado 2 and 3 are then filmed leaving the plane.
Shado 2 is converted to Shado 1 and it is filmed with Shado Control leaving the plane.
(All of these changes are probably only on the right side by the way, the left side as seen in one publicity photo is probably numberless)
Now the last shot is required of Shado 1 driving up to Shado Control and they seem to have used Shado 3 with a 1 on the left side. This 1 is a different style to the earlier 1's!
At this stage Shado 3 now looks exactly like it does in the often published profile photographs and as it also appears to be in a pretty good condition in the pictures they were probably taken at around this time of the production.
Also as you stated the models were later outfitted with lights and the rear lights are clearly not on the model in the profile shots.
By the way if you didn't already know the number plate is a decal (224579)from the Airfix B-29 bomber and this is simply cut in half and rearranged on Shado 3 ( or is that 1?)
I think I need to sit down for a while now, my head aches!

Old 26-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #53
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I'm not at home to check but could some of the shots be stock shots?
Old 27-04-2006, 05:34 PM   #54
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

No, as The Computer Affair was the second episode produced - filming the models for the first time ever. They did then become stock footage for later episodes and the title sequence.
Looking at the profile pictures again it looks like the front headlights were originally just the wheel hubs from the Tillie the Toiler kit, with the sides filed down to fit the square holes and simply painted silver. Later they appear to be open rectangular boxes with the three working lights. I think I prefer the original design.

Old 29-04-2006, 07:33 AM   #55
Barrington Bond
Astrophysics Technician

Suddenly thought why not see what the script has to say about the Mobiles in Computer Affair and I was a little surprised! The original script has no mention of the Shado Control Mobile (only 1, 2 and 3) in fact they were supposed to be co-ordinated from a Colonel’s office on Lexfield airbase. Also interesting is that in addition to Mark Bradley driving his Mobile he was accompanied by a “Missile Operative” and a “Technician” – suggesting that perhaps the Mobiles were supposed to be missile armed?
Now this has got me thinking and this is all supposition – what if the effects crew started work on this episode with the original script. They would assume only 3 Mobiles were needed and so all the forest shots were done and one (less detailed model) destroyed (it looks to me that the front cab is blown off and tumbles forward in this shot).

Then script changes were made. What if someone suggested that instead of the Colonel’s office they built a rear set for the mobile that could be used in other episodes and also defray the cost a little bit by saving money by not employing the actor to play the colonel who had a couple of lines and not building his office? Then the effects crew had to modify one of the two surviving mobiles to be Shado Control. This may explain the airfield arrival scene Mobiles only having two Mobiles in any one shot – just changing the numbers and roof. This may also explain the damage to the lights on one as it has been damaged in the forest shooting – these being modified later on to have working lights.

As an aside anyone notice the radar dish clips the ceiling while leaving the cargo jet!

Watching “A Question Of Priorities” when 1 and 2 are driving off the jet transporter (I see the it has been modified so that its rear is now a ramp instead of clamshell doors) Mobile 1 is completely out of shot before we see Mobile 2 leave the cargo bay. I think there is an edit between seeing the 2 mobiles – there is a slight movement in the picture between seeing the two mobiles. And then we only see shots of Mobile 1. Not sure what I’m suggesting here though – I’m going to watch Sound Of Silence again – I’m sure when the Mobile is destroyed the guns on top have vanished for this shot.

Hopefully helpfully,
Barry

Old 29-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #56
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I think the edit is more to do with setting up the or a model to come out the back a second time. Chances are they did several takes of each individually and then cut the two best together. Providing the camera was locked off in position, it would allow the same model to be used twice if they had to though.
Old 29-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #57
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Yes good spot, there is that tell tell minor light and shadow change that indicates a jump cut. This would probably be because of the wires pulling the models along getting caught up together and needing a bigger gap between each vehicle or needing to set up the wires for the second model.
In this case Mobile 1 is the model from the profile photographs and Mobile 2 is the Shado Control model. The headlight box's on each model are a different shape and they do seem to stick out abit.
As I think you also suggested we only seem to see two mobiles at a time after 'the computer affair' indicating that either one was actually cut up and destroyed in the explosion shot or only two were converted and fitted for lights for nightime shooting.
Theres another reversed image shot in 'The Sound of Silence' but the exploding mobile in this one just seems to be a detail missing dummy model.
You might think the guns go missing because they are not actually that big compared to the rest of the vehicle, they just stick up on the lefthand side near the exhaust stack - not really a good position.

Old 30-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #58
Barrington Bond
Astrophysics Technician

The guns definitely disappear for the Mobile explosion shot. See cropped screen cap of Mobile blowing up

In the shot before with the explosion happening between the two mobiles shows the machine gun turret and mortar there. The mortar barrel looks longer on the mobile than in the large roof miniature also there appears to be a rectangular slab attached to the right hand side roof that is highlighted in the explosion. See cropped screen cap.

[

Mobile 2 also appears to be in two positions! It is the Mobile next to the destroyed one. See cropped screen cap.

Also it is next to Shado Control. See cropped screen cap.

It is nice that the miniature mobiles gun turrets have little lights at the barrel end to simulate the gun fire.

Just an after thought that we only see the Mobiles in daylight in Computer Affair also there doesn’t seem to be any appreciable reuse of shots of them unlike the Interceptors and Sky1.

Hopefully helpfully,
Barry
Old 09-05-2006, 06:56 PM   #59
Barrington Bond
Astrophysics Technician

Been trying to identify the wheel which is on the cab roof and holds an arial and the similar wheel stuck on the rear. Thought I'd found them today as they look exactly right but on closer examination to reference photos they seem a bit too small. Anyhow here is a couple of pics of them next to the Gemini part which I was trying to gauge their correct size with.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Hopefully helpfully,
Barry
Old 12-05-2006, 08:13 AM   #60
Captainplaid
Astrophysics Technician

Howdy,
I have the answer for you as i only just aquired an old kit to which these two parts are from.
It is from a 1/21 scale "LONGTOM" and yes the scale is correct. It is a very rare and hard to get kit mine was aquired in Italy. I have been far to busy to do a spot the part thing with this kit as i am sureeeee more bits will show up that are used in it.

I too have alway's wondered about these detail bits on the mobile. Thus far other folks have been tight lipped about parts or just went with ones that did the job but were not original to the design.
I have to thank Mr. John Goode for revealing the info and that it is from a 1/21 scale kit.
So there ya go bud when i get around to doing a good search of the parts i shall post a guess what i found to this thread.
The kit or at least mine is made by TAMIYA MOKEI PLASTIC MODEL CO. It's a real vintage kit and still mint in original bags.
Mike out
Captainplaid is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote