Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Anderson - Reference Section, Member Builds and Detailing > Fireball XL5 > Member Builds

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 14-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #21
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Sometimes less is more....

.....and here's a perfect example. I've already posted on another badsimmonds thread, using the phrase "beautiful simplicity", and it's equally relevant here.

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #22
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Before I go any further I must mention the vacuum moulding of the canopy.
After forming the canopy for my Helijet I only had one piece of plastic left and that already had a helijet canopy mould on it which I had rejected, to get the plastic back to its original flat shape I heated it up with a hot air gun which takes it back to its original flat sheet (well almost)
I set up my home made vacuum heated the plastic in the oven and when it starts to sag I very quickly removed it pushed it over the mould, the vacuum cleaner was already on so it sucked the plastic over the mould.
However it wasn't as good as I hoped so I repeated the entire process again, in fact I did it three times and still I rejected it. By this time I was getting worried the plastic would fail with being heated so many times so I tried once more and bingo it turned out ok.
I had been getting worried as I only had the one piece. Later on I'll trim it so it will fit the space.
I also started on the landing legs which I made out of various diameter aluminium tubing. The front leg is the easiest as its straight down. The landing skids were shaped from some left over aluminium strips I had, the front skid was fitted to the tube using a rivet. The two rear ones because of the angle I slightly bent the rivet to the correct angle and fitted it inside the tube. I decided to add another short length to the legs so they looked as if they would fold into each other. The four vertical jets also had short pieces of the tubing cut to size but won't be fitted properly until the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4256.JPG (118.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4258.JPG (118.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4272.JPG (117.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4273.JPG (116.2 KB, 30 views)
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #23
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Here are some photos of the landing legs under construction.
Once riveted the end bits were sanded down to be as flush as possible.
In photo 4 you can see I have also fitted the mesh into the blister things. The mesh was just the usual aluminium repair mesh from Halfords.
The last photo shows the legs and vertical thrusters dry fitted to see how it looks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4304.JPG (115.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4305.JPG (114.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4306.JPG (118.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4314.JPG (119.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4321.JPG (118.4 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by badsimmonds; 16-10-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 17-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #24
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default And it looks great!

Usual blend of meticulous craftsmanship and robust construction - particularly like the use of actual rivets in the landing leg construction. As previously stated, I never really connected with Fireball the way I did with later programmes, so to see all the close-up photographs of the detailing is extremely interesting. Looking forward to seeing the canopy going on!

Kindest regards

Patrick
Old 20-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #25
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

The basic construction is almost done with a few minor things left.
As this body was fibreglass I scribed the two side missile launch doors plus the top hatch.
The eight round things at the rear were just sanded down steel washers glued in place, plus as you can see the mesh has been fitted in the four raised thingys.
During construction and spraying primer paint I supported the model via a broom handle, however I needed to fill up this large hole so I used fibreglass resin poured in to a suitable level. When this was dry I drilled a much smaller hole in the same place to take a steel rod which will support during the final painting. This hole will be hidden behind the rear door later.
I masked off the cockpit area as it will stay grey primer colour, I also removed the eight little thrusters on the fins for spraying silver (Plasticote silver 109s), after they were sprayed I painted the inside of the thrusters matt black with a small brush.
I wiped the model extremely carefully with a tack rag before spraying.
The body colour I'll use is Rover Steel Grey from Halfords. I always hate this stage but the sooner its over the better. After doubly making sure everything was clean etc I sprayed. Its always best to spray thin coats and build up to the finish required. I think the colour looks quite good and really does look like steel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4323.JPG (117.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4324.JPG (118.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4328.JPG (127.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4329.JPG (124.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4340.JPG (127.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by badsimmonds; 21-10-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Old 20-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #26
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Looking good.....

Really enjoying your "show and tell" Malcolm. Looks like it's all going according to plan....

Kindest regards

Patrick
Old 21-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #27
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Really getting to the end now as its time to paint the fins.
During construction I couldn't make up my mind whether to fit the fins or leave them separate and fit them after painting. In the end I decided to fit them before painting which means a lot of masking is required to paint them in situ. Again the fins were wiped with a tack rag before spraying. The paint I'm using is Halfords VW Mars Red. I painted two at a time to cut down on masking, this way I can also find out if the colour looks ok before I did the other two. Black bin liners come in handy during masking off.
Once it was all dry I removed the masking and for the first time I can see an almost finished Jnr.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4337.JPG (127.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4339.JPG (129.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4344.JPG (123.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4346.JPG (114.5 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by badsimmonds; 21-10-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 21-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #28
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Smooth operator.....

....those surfaces look like they're completely smooth. She's a real visual treat, and she's really coming to life now.

Kindest regards

Patrick
Old 21-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #29
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Thanks for your comments Patrick.
Yes the surfaces are quite smooth which is why I always use tack rags before painting anything (models or house) as they really do clean and clear surfaces of all dirt and dust etc.
I have to admit I'm always surprised when the painting turns out quite well as things usually go wrong as I've known in the past.
Old 21-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #30
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Red Light? Green Light!

Yep, color really does make all the difference, doesn't it? And in a hue called Mars Red, which seems especially apropos for this model!

All told, a great look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsimmonds View Post
Really getting to the end now as its time to paint the fins.
During construction I couldn't make up my mind whether to fit the fins or leave them separate and fit them after painting. In the end I decided to fit them before painting which means a lot of masking is required to paint them in situ. Again the fins were wiped with a tack rag before spraying. The paint I'm using is Halfords VW Mars Red. I painted two at a time to cut down on masking, this way I can also find out if the colour looks ok before I did the other two. Black bin liners come in handy during masking off.
Once it was all dry I removed the masking and for the first time I can see an almost finished Jnr.
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #31
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

I have to say Malcolm that Fireball Jnr is looking absolutely wonderful (!) I can't wait to see it fully painted up and with the graphics on !
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #32
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Hi everyone many thanks for all your comments they really are much appreciated.
The end is almost reached apart from some details mainly the canopy.
To make things easier I put some low tack masking tape around the cockpit edges as this will define the actual edge of the canopy plus it will stop any glue getting onto the paintwork. I roughly cut some excess plastic from the canopy and then fitted it in place as best as I could. I then got some 3mm blu masking vinyl tape and put it on the actual cutting edge which will give me a guide when cutting as pencil or pen are not much use on this plastic.
I used a small pair of slightly curved scissors to cut as I found they prevent cutting off too much and will fit round the curves better. After some fine tuning I glued it in place with a few blobs of superglue. Once dry I used 3mm silver vinyl self adhesive tape to highlight the internal girders.
I would have liked to have painted the yellow stripes on the fins but I was worried about leakage under the masking tapes so I chickened out and used 6mm yellow vinyl tape instead.
The graphics were created by my local company who are a godsend, for the Fireball part I ended up using Mistral font, I'm not sure what the XL5 font was as the original font I was going to use you had to pay for apparently so I left it up to them to choose one that was close and more importantly free.
As you can see the rear support hole has been hidden by a plasticard door painted matt black. The bottom thrusters and landing legs just push into position-no glue used.
I haven't dirtied this model as I still haven't replaced my airbrush, perhaps one day.
And that I think is that, I hope I haven't forgotten anything, if I have I'll mention it later.
I hope you enjoyed the build as much as I did as Jnr is one of my all time favourite ships.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4352.JPG (120.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4355.JPG (117.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4356.JPG (122.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4358.JPG (118.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4359.JPG (113.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 23-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #33
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Here are some final photos of Fireball Jnr.
I've waited over fifty years to have a model of this craft and its an improvement on my original Lego model of all those years ago.
I really enjoyed making this model and again I'd like to thank all of you for your very kind comments on this model and indeed all my others, I really do thank you.

all the best
malcolm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4360.JPG (114.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4362.JPG (110.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4363.JPG (111.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4365.JPG (112.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4369.JPG (113.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 23-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #34
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Really, really impressive

Malcolm, that's a wonderful model. You've made a fantastic job of her - that canopy looks crystal clear, and shows off the very simple but very effective cockpit detailing. Yet again, the pain-staking steps you've taken to show us how you've achieved all this are much appreciated - ingenious and inspired.

Looking forward to your next project!

Kindest regards

Patrick
Old 23-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #35
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Worth The Waiting!

She's got the look, that's for sure...both retro and fresh, all at once!
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #36
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Another great build - looks superb - its great to see the painting bring it all together
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #37
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

I missed the end of this project at the time, so glad I found this thread and saw the finished results.

All I can say is COR!!
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #38
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Glad you like it Captain. Its always been one of my favourite ships, even in 1962 I was building it out of Lego!!
I would love to build the complete Fireball but in a smaller scale.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:06 AM   #39
Xolin
Alphan

Hi :-) First post from a long-time lurker who just decided to join.

I just wanted to say what a really fantastic model you have made - Fireball XL-5 was my favourite show as a child (followed by Captain Scarlett and the Mysterons), and your model is a wonderful, faithful reproduction.
Xolin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #40
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Hi Xolin

Many thanks for your kind comments. I too love the programme especially Fireball itself, a great design.