SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
seaview
Eagle Pilot

Default Ed Strakers car / new project

Hi Guys
Glad you join us on this channel for another project , this time Ed Strakers car in scale with the rest of the UFO hardware ive built or building .

Here's the first photos showing the model at this stage before i start to add in all the contours .

Using my normal method ive quickly formed the rough shape .

Thin balsa strip will now be glued to the mdf sheet , and sanded until im happy with the look , then the model will be skimmed in p38 car filler , giving me my final shape.

In the back ground you can see my drawings , a side profile of the full scale vehicle , and the side profile of the model used in the series .

comparing the two drawings the full size car the roof line at the rear is a little higher , and as ive been working too the model version so far , im at this stage going to add a little bit more height and curve on my version .

Also the side windows on the full scale vehicle are wider at the rear before the quarter windows , again i'll be adding this to my version , trying to copy as close as i can get to the full scale version .

As far as i know there are know top views of the full size vehicle so im using the model drawings for this .

All the area's that have air vents will be have sunken area's in the pattern , and the vents can be attached later in the casting .

so sit back and enjoy this new show till next time
best
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (219.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (228.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (224.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (219.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (216.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (205.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (220.8 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by seaview; 29-06-2017 at 03:49 PM.
seaview is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
RCnut
Communications Officer

Blimey, You dont hang around do you. Quick question. Do you still do a large TB2?
RCnut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
seaview
Eagle Pilot

Hi Mamas
Yes mate Still have Tb2 moulds I'm looking at some stage to build a larger version . It's always been my favourite model.

The thing is how large do you build it the wing span
Being the problem .

A mate of mine built one 6 ft long and never finished it .
I'd love to build one that size.

Strakers car .yeah didn't take long around 3 hrs work in it so far. Started on the Monday morning a little bit each day .
The fun starts now adding in the contours etc .

See you at small space
Pete
Old 29-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
Andernut
Waste Technician

How long is this model Pete? I'm watching your progress with interest, I will enjoy every twist and turn as you wrestle this into shape.

Kind regards,
David.
Andernut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 09:13 PM   #5
seaview
Eagle Pilot

Hi David

Ed strakers car is

Lenght 20 inches

Width 8 inches

Height 6 inches

The figure that will eventually be used
Is the same in all the other craft from the same series
I've built .you get to see how large each craft is compared
To each other. The only thing I need to alter on the figure is
To straighten out the legs so his feet would reach the brake pedal.

If I get time over the wk end I'll block in the underside with foam blocks ready for skiming.

Best
Pete

Old 30-06-2017, 06:08 AM   #6
Andernut
Waste Technician

Thanks Pete,
that's a good size. my preference is always for this larger size model, that way they don't get lost on a shelf. Due to lack of display space I now find I have to rotate which ones are on display and which are in the closet
kind regards,
David
Andernut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

Absolutely brilliant

Cannot wait to see finished result
andersonitis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
seaview
Eagle Pilot

Stand by for action .

Hi Guys
Here's a few more updated photo's of Ed Strakers car.

Over the wk ive altered the wheel arches , and the rear roof line so that it now matches the full size vehicle's outline perfectly, all the area's have been blocked out and started skimming in p38
The sunken area at the rear , is also progressing by adding in the raised side lips , you can really start to see how this section will look like when finished .

When you compare the full size version to the model version , its only the rear roof line and the wheel arches that need reworking .

The wind shield area has also been added , but still needs loads of work .

Next job is the contour's on the side's of the vehicle , then i can work the very rear of the model , adding in the indent section that then blends up into the rear grilled section .

The hood of the vehicle is also coming along , loads of work left here getting that look spot on .

enjoy
best
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (243.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (240.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (230.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (229.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (224.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 015.jpg (224.3 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by seaview; 03-07-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: add more text
Old 04-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #9
Cool Caveman
Weapons Technician

This looks great!
I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result.
Given your current speed... that should be soon!
:-)
Cool Caveman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #10
seaview
Eagle Pilot

You said it speed is the word .

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the great feed back.

This morning armed with my balsa sheet , i tacked glued strips along both sides of the vehcile , then sanded in the contours , the low area where bulked out in card board , and p38 skimmed over the top and sanded , and refilled until everything was nearly perfect , because ive still got to add in the side blisters and the door sharp leading edge's .

The underside as you can see here just needs more filling and sanding smooth .

next job the rear of the vehicle , sanding and filling to match the original contours etc .

The rear roof grilled section will follow , theres a gentle curve that flows from left to right and you can see this clearly , the original model didnt have this curve so its going to be eyes down until im happy with the look .

Then back to the hood section shaping and sanding again to match the full size vehicle

all recessed area's and window frames and outlines of door's will be last
glad your all enjoying the show
best
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (221.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (237.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (232.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (235.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (234.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (228.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (230.3 KB, 10 views)

Old 06-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #11
seaview
Eagle Pilot

Hi Guys

Its taken a bit of time but im pretty sure ive nailed the look on the tail end of Eds Car .

what ref photo's there are is a liitle sparse , i really had to work hard on this area , what appears above the two rear tail lights is in fact a indent , and not a flat , the two tail lights sit back in this indent , and angle out with more depth on the top edge , this was throwing me out a little , because it looks like a shadow thrown from the tail lights .

ive also built the raised curved areas either side of the rear screen and tail grilled section , ready to create that gentle curve .

Next Job the grilled area , needs to have a sunken box inserted , this when moulded will give the depht for the grills .

A day of tomorrow but more next wk .
best
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (231.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (237.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (236.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (231.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (228.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #12
portland182
Astrophysics Technician

Hi Pete

Loving this!
Will it be made into copies?

Thanks

Jim
portland182 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #13
seaview
Eagle Pilot

Hi Jim
Yes mate moulds will be taken .

Glad your enjoying the updates .There's still loads of work left in the build . But once I'm happy with the main look
Of the model The rest of the jobs adding in widow frames etc want take long .
Best
Pete
Old 11-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #14
seaview
Eagle Pilot

Hi guys

The last couple of days ive been working hard improving the look of Ed's car comparing it too photos of the full size car etc.

The rear end is just about done for now , untill i build at the sunken box section , ive added in the side blisters that for some reason i cant make out on the side view of the original model.

A lot of work i can tell you , im still looking at the photo's of the original full size car from the rear side shots , that bronze colour is a headache as it reflects a lot of the contours , and you think its curving when in fact its seems to be doing something else , its only really when i get the side windows in i can then decide if it needs more shaping , but for now im pretty happy with the way its looking .

Ive added in the sharpe door line as well that fades out towards the middle of the door , from this i can now add in the window frames , the front side wings have also been sharpened up , and ive quick sprayed the model bronze , gold so it shows off more of the contour curves so i can match against the original full size car .

Next job more work on the hood of the model adding in the vent boxs , and general shaping sanding , the battle goes on .
more soon
Best
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (221.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (212.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (202.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (201.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (207.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 13-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #15
seaview
Eagle Pilot

Hi Guys
Here's your wk end treat .

Ive more or else finished shaping the hood on Eds Car , im very happy with the results , as you can see ive opened up the grill area , and also the lower
inducts .

The hood on Eds Car is with out a doubt one of the hardest to copy , the contours flow 4times across the surface , along with my height gauge battle took place , and victory , once the box sections are added on top of the hood that should complete the look .

Ive also added some extra build up curve on the head light area , to match the full size vechicle's look .

The Front wheel arches have aslo been worked on and ive jusy started to add in the front wheel arch lips .

The rear of the car where it rises up from the inserted area, comparing to the full size car is slightly different to that of the model used on the tv series , im going to alter my version next wk , adding in side windows etc .

That all for now .

best
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (215.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (224.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (223.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (215.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (236.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (221.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by seaview; 13-07-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Old 13-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #16
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

I am really enjoying watching this project!

Just wondering- wasn't this car initially featured in the film "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun"? Perhaps some frame grabs of it from that source may clear up some questions about the body shape, I think it was painted a different color there...
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #17
seaview
Eagle Pilot

Hi Richard

I think eds car was altered from doppelganger ?

I've watched the film and to be honest. The front of the car
Doesn't have the front grills vents or the side headlights.

The rear of the car looks the same as Eds car.

Fosters car apparently also was supposed to have been used ?

looking at the ref photos I've seen on original photos of how eds cat looks today on Web searches.,shows what I think is left of fosters car missing it's raised hood with those
Fan blades that are all over the place .

Other photos show Eds car being moulded etc .

There's ref saying doppelganger car saved and photos .
But comparing to me it looks like fosters car..
There's some kinder large indent on the side of the doppelganger car also a large lump on the side of fosters car
Around the same place ?

As though this lump was fitted after ans that raised hood added.?

Anyway I have loads of ref of Strakers car .so I'll be adding on my version.
Best
Pete
Old 17-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #18
seaview
Eagle Pilot

Hi Guys

Back from the Small space event what a great day out, great catching up with everyone and some great models .

Back to work today on Eds car , i took along this work in progress to Small space and got some great wow's .

This morning i set to work on the rear roof section the full size car photos in hand i quickly altered the lenght so now the rear screen is in the correct place , which means that the rear fins now needed to be built up to there correct height , this done i can now finish off the rear top part of the car where it curves from the tail light and blends into the grilled area , I'll be working on this tomorow , so you'll see a clear differance in the next update , also more work on the front wheel arches , and the rear arches are now going in , the side windows have also been marked out and set back to a depht where once moulded the area can be cut out but leaving a small rim , the glass will just drop into place and can be glued into place , still a little tidying to do though .

Last photo shows the tyre i found in my spares box perfect size , just need to make the hubs , and ive got two of them .
More very soon
Best
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (231.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (233.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (233.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (204.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (208.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (211.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (217.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (208.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 18-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #19
seaview
Eagle Pilot

Well you didn't have to wait long .

Hi Guys
Here's a look at the reworked rear end of Eds Car , as you can see its now matches the full size car .

Ive also started on the rear wheel arches , a little shaping left in this area , but overall , that all the main area 's sorted , next job is the front wind shield ,

like on the side windows removing the glass area so im left with a recces , so the clear glass can postioned in the right place .

Ive got to try and remove the area carefully as i'll be using this as my patten for vac forming .
once removed there will be some skimming on the inner wind shield that will become the frame the glass attaches to.

thats all for now
best
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 016.jpg (209.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 017.jpg (221.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (221.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (223.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by seaview; 18-07-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 20-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #20
seaview
Eagle Pilot

Nearly another week over.

Hi Guys
At last finished all the rear end boxing in ready for the grill central strut .

The Strut seems to stop just before the segment that is arft of the rear screen, so i expect on the casting a piece will be fitted in and then the strut , or i could have the strut going right up to the rear of the screen , and the piece would sit over the top .

The full size car , all the grill area's seem to be open to the elements meaning if it rained
the water would pour in , so on my build the inner area's will be painted black .

Other work today more tweaking on the side windows , getting the shape as close as i can to the ref phot's of the full size car , apart from some tidy work filling sanding , im happy with the look now .

Next job the front wind shield . then the front grill areas need linining out in plastic card .

The tail lights will be added , after that but i expect they will be either vac form in clear , so the lights will show though , or fit the tail lights and drill out some light holes .
more soon
Best
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (212.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (209.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (235.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (215.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (221.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (226.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (220.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by seaview; 20-07-2017 at 03:28 PM.