Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 12-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
Space Chopper
Alphan

Default An unusual approach to scratchbuilding the Scorpio.

Hi everyone- first post from me. This is a model project I underwent a little while ago, and one or two of you will be aware of this as I documented it on the B7 Horizon forum. I've always liked the design of Scorpio, but don't have the budget to buy a Titan Find kit, so when I saw a Revell Star Wars Republic Star Destroyer, I realised it looked a bit familiar, so I decided to use it as the basis for a build. I joined here as a lurker to get as much research detail as possible for the build, and although it's far from 100% accurate, I think it captures the feel of the original pretty well.

Pictures and build detail follow. Much of the build detail is cut-and-pasted from the Horizon forum. The build began with the Star Destroyer, which was cut into shape.

At the top of the picture is the underside of the kit untouched, to show the original shape. The bottom half shows the upper side of the kit, with the engine sections cut off and moved forward, where they will be the nose and docking bays of Scorpio- the protruding rear spars will now be attachment points for the framework that I will build the engines from.

This shows the parts now cemented together, and detail behind the cut outs added from the side panels of the Star Destroyer kit. Pipework is Slater's plastic rod.

So, the sides of the model have now been clad in plastic sheet and gaps filled with squadron green filler, and sanded. The mid-section was made again from plastic sheet, and some basic panel lines were scribed in using a steel ruler and dental picks. The sides of the mid-section are shorter than the upper and lower pieces, this is to help me when fitting the sloping side panels that connect this to the engine section.

Once that was set solid, I used my measurements, scaled up from the technical manual, and cut bulkheads for the engine section, front and rear. These are level with where the flat panels meet the sloping ones at the front, and the flat plane of the engine exhaust at the back, so that I can cut the flat panels to overlap it and provide an opening for the drive motors. These were attached to the mid-section, and spaced apart using solvent-weld pipe cut to the desired length. The extended spur at the back of the mid-section (From the front hull, as I'd cut it) was then anchored to the middle with plastic spacers taken from an old computer stand. The bulkheads were then connected front-to-back on all angles with plastic sprue from the kit, cut to length. This will provide surfaces for the flat panels to anchor to once they've been cut. A flat panel was cut and mounted to the upper hull, which will provide a surface for the conning tower to sit on, once the gaps have been filled and sanded.

The ships' flight deck and communications antenna- the flight deck is the Star Destroyer's conning tower, again cut to shape, with window frames added by using step ladders from the Airfix RAF Refuelling set. More bits from this, together with the Star Destroyer's engine bell, made the antenna.

This is the communications array, now located on what was the cargo bay of the Star Destroyer, detailed with various greeblies from leftovers of this kit, a small-scale Millennium Falcon, and spares from the RAF Refuelling Set, as well as other parts from a Hasegawa kit of NATO ground-crew accessories. This kit has lots of detailed flat panels that I'll use to add to the panelling on the main hull. This drops into place between the engines, and I've left in in situ for the next shots, but it won't be glued in until I've painted Scorp.

This shows the engine bays, now clad in sheeting, filled and sanded. The landing gear bays have also been added, as has the front landing gear bay/weapons pod. The weapon is made from a small engine from the Star Destroyer and the main gun from a 1/76th scale Panther Tank- other bits of this tank will be used to add surface detail later on. The cutaways on the engines have shallow boxes mounted behind them, and halves of the Star Destroyer's main engines are mounted within those, as well as cut sections of sprue resembling piping.

The model surface was then clad in detail parts and panels cut from plastic sheet, and sprayed with undercoat to check for blemishes. The model was then sprayed with Montana Gold Terra acrylic spray to get a nice, solid base colour. Then I mixed some Dark Earth and Black acrylic, and diluted the resultant mix with water until I got a nice wash, which then went into all the panel lines and recesses to get a nice shading effect. Next, the model was dry-brushed, first with matt Stone acrylic, then matt Golden Brown, to bring up the highlights, and after that, individual panels were picked out in red-brown, terracotta, yellow ochre and neat golden brown to give a 'patchwork quilt' effect of different panels that had been replaced after numerous repairs. After the yellow 'go faster' stripes were added and washed down, and the 'scorpio' transfers printed and applied, the whole model was dry-brushed silver to show paint scratches and general wear-and-tear, and then I got out my trusty Tamiya weathering powders, and used a greasy, oily colour to brush on some soot stains and exhaust marks around the engine openings. The drive nozzles were made using transparent corrugated plastic, backed with reflective metal foil, over which was put a layer of diamond-effect plastic sheeting originally meant for sugar icing moulds. The resultant effect looked like the 'ford fiesta headlamps' that can usually be seen on the studio model.

Finished pics follow...

The list of kit parts used is as follows:

Revell
Star Wars Republic Star Destroyer (Forward section of hull, engine interiors, flight deck conning tower, main weapon and various detail parts.

Easykit snapfast Millennium Falcon 1:241 scale (Detail parts)

Airfix
RAF Refuelling Set, 1/72 scale. (Communications antenna and detail parts.)

Hasegawa
US Aerospace Ground Equipment Set 1/72 scale (various detail parts and panels.)

Armorfast
Panther Tank- 1/76 scale (Various detail parts and secondary weapon.)

Slaters
10 thou and 30 thou plastic sheet (surface panels, aft engine section and mid-section, weapons pod and landing gear bays.)
0.5mm plastic rod (Antenna and various piping details)

Wickes
26mm solvent weld pipe (construction core of engine section)

Montana Gold
Terra aerosol acrylic paint (main hull colour)

Miscellaneous
transparent corrugated plastic, diamond-pattern sugar icing plastic sheet, metallic foil plumber's tape (Engine outlets)
Space Chopper is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Hello! I'm over here as well. Nice to see you.

It's a really interesting way of building a Scorpio ... and it works!! Great job, and a great way to use up all those Star Wars models. Shame it never caught on.

Phil

Last edited by Exterminator; 12-06-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 07:55 AM   #3
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

Seeing just how many AMT/Ertl Star Wars kits are used in building the Scorpio. It seems poetic that you have done this.
Looks excellent - makes you wonder if Ryan Church subconsciously had the Scorpio at the back of his mind?
Excellent job - loving the build.
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #4
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Great build - looks the business
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
pentel
Hydroponics Technician

I wonder how much of the original trilogy Star destroyer kit was used to make/dream up the rebel star destroyer from the new trilogy? perhaps a similar kit from the original trilogy was used in a near Identical manner as you have done ( I always thought It looked very Star Wars..always choked it up it the contemporary time period and the influence Star Wars had on Sci-Fi of the time). I always thought the liberator Looked like it was a creation of the Young Artists (Chris Foss, Peter Elison, Angus Mackie et al) whilst the Season 4 stuff looked like Lucasfilm/Dreamworks/Ambelin in appearance.

Speaking of which, have you done a side by side photo comparison between your prop and the original?...I'd love to see how close you've got! Kit bashed models have always scared me because of the obscure/regionally available or discontinued kits that have to be stripped down for a few pieces..but your build seems to incorperate easy to find kits, and the degree of raw structural build is alot less than other attempts poster here and else where which look scary to build and not half as decent as your Scorpio.

What scale/length did you build end up being by the way?
pentel is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 18-08-2015, 11:23 PM   #6
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

It's a great Scorpio, well done OP !
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Great job! Funnily enough I painted my Revell Destroyer in Scorpio[ ish ] colours a few years back as I though it looked similar. I might try doing what you've done though and make a proper Scorpio one day when I have enough time.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #8
Space Chopper
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentel View Post
I wonder how much of the original trilogy Star destroyer kit was used to make/dream up the rebel star destroyer from the new trilogy? perhaps a similar kit from the original trilogy was used in a near Identical manner as you have done ( I always thought It looked very Star Wars..always choked it up it the contemporary time period and the influence Star Wars had on Sci-Fi of the time). I always thought the liberator Looked like it was a creation of the Young Artists (Chris Foss, Peter Elison, Angus Mackie et al) whilst the Season 4 stuff looked like Lucasfilm/Dreamworks/Ambelin in appearance.

Speaking of which, have you done a side by side photo comparison between your prop and the original?...I'd love to see how close you've got! Kit bashed models have always scared me because of the obscure/regionally available or discontinued kits that have to be stripped down for a few pieces..but your build seems to incorperate easy to find kits, and the degree of raw structural build is alot less than other attempts poster here and else where which look scary to build and not half as decent as your Scorpio.

What scale/length did you build end up being by the way?
Thank you. The finished length of the model is 53 cm nose to tail- a hefty lump of plastic indeed! The scale, based purely on Horizon's blueprints that I used for reference, works out at roughly 1/200th. That was what helped me with picking out the small scale Millennium Falcon for bits, as the original used on the prop was slightly smaller than 1/72 scale, meaning I'd need a Falcon kit of roughly 1/170 to 1/250 scale, give or take. Fine Molds do a 1/144 scale kit that's way out of my budget, but Revell do a snap-together easykit that scales at 1/241, which was ideal.

Side-by-side comparisons? Not done that on the one webpage before, so that will be interesting. Here goes...

It's not exact, but I think it captures the spirit of the original fairly well. I wasn't going for an exact replica, it was a bit beyond my capabilities at the time!
Space Chopper is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #9
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Brilliant!
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote