Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Anderson - Reference Section, Member Builds and Detailing > Stingray > Member Builds

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 04-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #21
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Fin's ain't what they used to be.....

....because they look even better this time round. She'll be one tough sub by the time you've finished, and I'm sure that all the hard work and fretting over things like (daren't mention it, but it rhymes with "fainting") will all be worth it.

Great pictures as always M, and I'm looking forward to the next phase!

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #22
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Hi Patrick
As things stand at the moment I still do not feel like fainting, the experience of the last build is still strong so it will be some time before it comes likely.
Meantime its the turn of the ratemaster surround. This comes all in one piece so its just a matter of cleaning up and sticking it on. When I stuck the hull sections together I made sure the rear hull area was the same 'thickness' of the ratemaster surround if that makes sense. Once fitted it was the usual filler and sanding to blend them together. Oh yes I forgot to say before I did all this I also drilled a hole to take the bolt which will hold the ratemaster in place. I fitted it in and checked that it would rotate ok and miss the sides.
Unfortunately I didn't take many photos of this stage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7296.JPG (120.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7297.JPG (121.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7293.JPG (115.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by badsimmonds; 06-08-2017 at 02:05 PM.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #23
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Its getting very near the end of this build. To sort out the torpedo tubes I decided to use a couple of the tiger joe tank wheel hubs which were more or less just glued in place. For the rear side outlets I used some ultra cheap toy car wheels. Once sprayed they don't look too bad.
I also fitted the two fins on the rear section, usually I fill in any gaps between the joins but I decided to leave them to make it look like they could move.
If you look at the original model by Master Models it looks like they were supposed to move but I don't think they were shown on the tv.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7418.JPG (113.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7419.JPG (119.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7448.JPG (116.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7449.JPG (120.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7463.JPG (121.9 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by badsimmonds; 13-08-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 14-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #24
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default But they're perfect!

Hi M, trust you to come up with a cost-effective way of detailing. Great idea! The sub continues to look better and better. Thanks for the continuing developments.

Kindest regards

Patrick
Old 15-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #25
KevinD
Communications Officer

I have used Tiger Joe wheel hubs in loads of things over the years (you don't need them for the mobile). Great build by the way.
KevinD is on duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #26
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Thanks guys, I always try and find a simple way to make things and if I can cut down on the modelling so much the better.
However Its time for the parts I've been dreading hence leaving them to last.
The first is the clear star shaped thingy on the end of the ratemaster. It took three attempts to get something that was a tad better then nothing. I used 4mm acrylic sheet and with lots of very careful cutting and sanding I ended up with this. Unfortunately it has 19 holes which had to be drilled by hand which meant its far from perfect. It will be kept in position by friction as I want it to be removable so I can get access to the bolt which keeps the ratemaster in place. Its not accurate but will do for now.
The ratemaster as a very small rim at the opening which has a tendency to get damaged which is what happened to mine. I was thinking of buying a clear plastic pipe which would fit inside the RM, however Mamas showed the easiest way which was to cut some clear plastic sheet and just fold it inside which is what I did. Again its loose and only kept in place by the star shaped thing pushed inside. The RM is then kept in place with a screw bolt, it can turn but I wouldn't do it too much. I haven't taken many photos of these stages.
That just leaves the worst thing to do and that's the Aqua Sprites but I'll leave that for another day.

Ps I've come across some photos I'd forgot I'd taken. In the last photo you can just see the new rim at the end of the ratemaster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7472.JPG (116.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7474.JPG (116.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7453.JPG (116.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7476.JPG (124.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7482.JPG (120.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by badsimmonds; 19-08-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 22-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #27
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Well here we are at the final stage. The aqua sprites were something I left to the end as to me anyway they were fiddly.
The kit comes with them moulded in clear plastic so all that needed done was to trim the excess off and paint them.
I gave them a light sanding being careful not to damage the dome part then masked them. After spraying some plastic primer I decided to spray the final colour as it would save the hassle of re-masking them later on. After the trouble I had previously I was relieved it went well. After that it was just a matter of creating the arched roof support from some vinyl tape.
I temporary fitted them on the hull just using some double sided tape as they will need to be removed if I ever paint the model which at the moment is unlikely.
And that's that, finally finished. I've got used to it being in primer grey as it makes it look as if its come out of factory and not reached the paint shop yet.
Stingray has a great shape and it looks fab on the shelf, perhaps one day I might get round to painting it!
What's next well unfortunately its back to decorating again for a while, after that's done it will either be an SPV (I have the kit) or start to scratch build my TB4.
Many thanks to everyone who looked at the build, I hope it wasn't too boring as it was a repeat of my other build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7496.JPG (115.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7500.JPG (115.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7502.JPG (114.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7506.JPG (114.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7504.JPG (113.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by badsimmonds; 22-08-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 22-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #28
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Here are some 'finished' photos of Stingray. Thanks Mamas for a great kit which are always fun to build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7513.JPG (118.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7515.JPG (114.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7519.JPG (112.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7520.JPG (120.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7514.JPG (116.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 28-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #29
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default A joy to behold.....

Glad you made it M - beautiful finish, judging by the pictures. Understand your reticence reference the painting - just enjoy the fact you've got her at last. Your projects are NEVER boring!

Kindest regards

Patrick