Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Anderson - Reference Section, Member Builds and Detailing > Stingray > Member Builds

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 17-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
badsimmonds
Forum Supporter

Default My Stingray Mk2 build

Well here I am again with another Stingray, its very unusual for me to build more than one of anything but after the problems with my other Stingray I just had to have another go.
I got another kit from Mamas and this time I'll make sure I don't make any mistakes. The advantage of a second go at this is it should be easier!
Once again I decided to create the sting missile holes which do not exist on the kit. A quick turn with my mini drill to create the holes and using the plastic pipe, tape and filler method to form the hole. As with all my models I seem to have endless filling and sanding.
Next I glued and fibre glassed wood inside the body so the two stabilisers and the landing skids have something to anchor to. I used hard wood for the skids area and balsa for the stabilisers. This time around I decided not to form the holes for the Aqua Sprites, I'll just mould the canopies and glue them on later.
After some cutting back on the rear area it was time to fit the two body halves together. The parcel tap was used to line up the parts then it was jut a matter of fibre glassing the join. As usual for me this was an extremely messy bit.
As this build is almost identical to my last I'll skip along with these posts as I don't want to bore you all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7054.JPG (121.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7057.JPG (117.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7063.JPG (117.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7085.JPG (114.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7091.JPG (115.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by badsimmonds; 17-06-2017 at 01:47 PM.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #2
umotogp
Alphan

10 out of 10 for determination mate, seen this kit a few times and most people mod it, looking at your last post might of been almost as easy to build your own from scratch, will be looking forward to seeing the finished model, this is my attempt back in 1996 totally scratch built, only because I couldn't find a kit big enough at 40"
2017-06-17_09-46-02[1].jpg

2017-06-17_09-46-26[1].jpg
umotogp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
badsimmonds
Forum Supporter

Hi
That's a very impressive build, I'd be happy if mine turns out half as good as yours. Very nice paint job how did you achieve it?
I also like big models but I've run out of space for my collection and they are scattered over the house which the other half is not keen on, ah well.
Old 18-06-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
umotogp
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsimmonds View Post
Hi
That's a very impressive build, I'd be happy if mine turns out half as good as yours. Very nice paint job how did you achieve it?
I also like big models but I've run out of space for my collection and they are scattered over the house which the other half is not keen on, ah well.
Hi mate, all the paint used here is Halfords car paint can't remember the actual colours though, masking was the ballbuster for me, then its weathered which I only did last year with the pencil trick as Anderson models were.

yes I'm the same, stuff scattered throughout the house including a full size Dalek, currently building a 36" TB2 with removable pod and interior, check out the TB2 section for a peek into how far i've got with it, its been around 18 months on and off, you know what its like you have to have motivation, need to get this one done now its taking shape.

Will be watching your with great interest, do you know Terry Dobbins, he's on the facebook group and has built the same kit you have and knows alot about them, and mods.
Old 19-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
badsimmonds
Forum Supporter

Hi there

Yes I've seen your TB2 posts, very impressive. I hope to attempt one someday but I've got Stingray and an SPV to do before I can get back to scratchbuilding.
As to models around the house I also have two full size daleks, K9 and R2D2. Hopefully next house move I'd like to get everything together in one room.
My mk2 stingray is coming along nicely as I remember what pitfalls to avoid from my first one.

Old 19-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #6
umotogp
Alphan

Quote:
Hi there

Yes I've seen your TB2 posts, very impressive. I hope to attempt one someday but I've got Stingray and an SPV to do before I can get back to scratchbuilding.
As to models around the house I also have two full size daleks, K9 and R2D2. Hopefully next house move I'd like to get everything together in one room.
My mk2 stingray is coming along nicely as I remember what pitfalls to avoid from my first one.
Ha! its a disease mate, got you hands full then
Old 24-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
badsimmonds
Forum Supporter

Since joining the hull using fibreglass I've been busy sanding and filling as usual to blend the sections together. It still has a lot of work ahead getting the hull nice and smooth, just when you think you've reached the end another defect shows up. I always check my models in daylight as its great for showing up unevenness.
Apart from that I've also been sorting out the bits and bobs for stingray - fins, stabilisers etc. They only needed a small amount of work so it didn't take long.
I'm thinking of making the side stabilisers rotate plus removable which would be handy for storage/moving but I'm not sure yet.
I used tape/filler to get the periscope section fit the roof line, this time I kept the first section of scope as last time I replaced it with a loo seat hinge rod.
The rest of the scope will be aluminium tube as usual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7098.JPG (113.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7100.JPG (115.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7075.JPG (116.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7080.JPG (114.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 24-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #8
umotogp
Alphan

Quote:
Since joining the hull using fibreglass I've been busy sanding and filling as usual to blend the sections together. It still has a lot of work ahead getting the hull nice and smooth, just when you think you've reached the end another defect shows up. I always check my models in daylight as its great for showing up unevenness.
Apart from that I've also been sorting out the bits and bobs for stingray - fins, stabilisers etc. They only needed a small amount of work so it didn't take long.
I'm thinking of making the side stabilisers rotate plus removable which would be handy for storage/moving but I'm not sure yet.
I used tape/filler to get the periscope section fit the roof line, this time I kept the first section of scope as last time I replaced it with a loo seat hinge rod.
The rest of the scope will be aluminium tube as usual.
Nice! I used an old walk about phone ariel and a model aircraft prop nose chopped filled with clear resin for mine, keep the pics comin