Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Anderson - Reference Section, Member Builds and Detailing > Stingray > Member Builds

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 17-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Default My Stingray Mk2 build

Well here I am again with another Stingray, its very unusual for me to build more than one of anything but after the problems with my other Stingray I just had to have another go.
I got another kit from Mamas and this time I'll make sure I don't make any mistakes. The advantage of a second go at this is it should be easier!
Once again I decided to create the sting missile holes which do not exist on the kit. A quick turn with my mini drill to create the holes and using the plastic pipe, tape and filler method to form the hole. As with all my models I seem to have endless filling and sanding.
Next I glued and fibre glassed wood inside the body so the two stabilisers and the landing skids have something to anchor to. I used hard wood for the skids area and balsa for the stabilisers. This time around I decided not to form the holes for the Aqua Sprites, I'll just mould the canopies and glue them on later.
After some cutting back on the rear area it was time to fit the two body halves together. The parcel tap was used to line up the parts then it was jut a matter of fibre glassing the join. As usual for me this was an extremely messy bit.
As this build is almost identical to my last I'll skip along with these posts as I don't want to bore you all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7054.JPG (121.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7057.JPG (117.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7063.JPG (117.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7085.JPG (114.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7091.JPG (115.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by badsimmonds; 17-06-2017 at 01:47 PM.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #2
umotogp
Waste Technician

10 out of 10 for determination mate, seen this kit a few times and most people mod it, looking at your last post might of been almost as easy to build your own from scratch, will be looking forward to seeing the finished model, this is my attempt back in 1996 totally scratch built, only because I couldn't find a kit big enough at 40"
2017-06-17_09-46-02[1].jpg

2017-06-17_09-46-26[1].jpg
umotogp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Hi
That's a very impressive build, I'd be happy if mine turns out half as good as yours. Very nice paint job how did you achieve it?
I also like big models but I've run out of space for my collection and they are scattered over the house which the other half is not keen on, ah well.
Old 18-06-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
umotogp
Waste Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsimmonds View Post
Hi
That's a very impressive build, I'd be happy if mine turns out half as good as yours. Very nice paint job how did you achieve it?
I also like big models but I've run out of space for my collection and they are scattered over the house which the other half is not keen on, ah well.
Hi mate, all the paint used here is Halfords car paint can't remember the actual colours though, masking was the ballbuster for me, then its weathered which I only did last year with the pencil trick as Anderson models were.

yes I'm the same, stuff scattered throughout the house including a full size Dalek, currently building a 36" TB2 with removable pod and interior, check out the TB2 section for a peek into how far i've got with it, its been around 18 months on and off, you know what its like you have to have motivation, need to get this one done now its taking shape.

Will be watching your with great interest, do you know Terry Dobbins, he's on the facebook group and has built the same kit you have and knows alot about them, and mods.
Old 19-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Hi there

Yes I've seen your TB2 posts, very impressive. I hope to attempt one someday but I've got Stingray and an SPV to do before I can get back to scratchbuilding.
As to models around the house I also have two full size daleks, K9 and R2D2. Hopefully next house move I'd like to get everything together in one room.
My mk2 stingray is coming along nicely as I remember what pitfalls to avoid from my first one.

Old 19-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #6
umotogp
Waste Technician

Quote:
Hi there

Yes I've seen your TB2 posts, very impressive. I hope to attempt one someday but I've got Stingray and an SPV to do before I can get back to scratchbuilding.
As to models around the house I also have two full size daleks, K9 and R2D2. Hopefully next house move I'd like to get everything together in one room.
My mk2 stingray is coming along nicely as I remember what pitfalls to avoid from my first one.
Ha! its a disease mate, got you hands full then
Old 24-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #7
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Since joining the hull using fibreglass I've been busy sanding and filling as usual to blend the sections together. It still has a lot of work ahead getting the hull nice and smooth, just when you think you've reached the end another defect shows up. I always check my models in daylight as its great for showing up unevenness.
Apart from that I've also been sorting out the bits and bobs for stingray - fins, stabilisers etc. They only needed a small amount of work so it didn't take long.
I'm thinking of making the side stabilisers rotate plus removable which would be handy for storage/moving but I'm not sure yet.
I used tape/filler to get the periscope section fit the roof line, this time I kept the first section of scope as last time I replaced it with a loo seat hinge rod.
The rest of the scope will be aluminium tube as usual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7098.JPG (113.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7100.JPG (115.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7075.JPG (116.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7080.JPG (114.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 24-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #8
umotogp
Waste Technician

Quote:
Since joining the hull using fibreglass I've been busy sanding and filling as usual to blend the sections together. It still has a lot of work ahead getting the hull nice and smooth, just when you think you've reached the end another defect shows up. I always check my models in daylight as its great for showing up unevenness.
Apart from that I've also been sorting out the bits and bobs for stingray - fins, stabilisers etc. They only needed a small amount of work so it didn't take long.
I'm thinking of making the side stabilisers rotate plus removable which would be handy for storage/moving but I'm not sure yet.
I used tape/filler to get the periscope section fit the roof line, this time I kept the first section of scope as last time I replaced it with a loo seat hinge rod.
The rest of the scope will be aluminium tube as usual.
Nice! I used an old walk about phone ariel and a model aircraft prop nose chopped filled with clear resin for mine, keep the pics comin
Old 02-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #9
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

To create the two indents behind the stabilisers I cut away the hull using a mixture of mini drill and big drill followed by lots of sanding. I had previously fitted soma balsa wood in this area before joining the hull together to form a foundation for the work.
Using tape, filler and plastic pipe I shaped the cut away area. After removing the pipe there was lots of sanding and filling which seemed to take forever.
Its amazing how long some things can take.
After spraying primer which showed up more defects it was back to filling/sanding.
It doesn't look too bad but I'll probably revisit later on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7115.JPG (116.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7116.JPG (118.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7118.JPG (117.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7169.JPG (119.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7165.JPG (121.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #10
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

The skids were made from aluminium strips from Wickes, cut to length and the ends sanded down using an electric sander. The metal got a bit hot during the sanding so I had to keep cooling it down by dipping it in the bird bath, sorry birds. The holes were drilled through the hull into the wood blocks fitted inside.
The tubes were also aluminium polished using Brasso and fitted to the skids using rivets. I still have to make the parts that fit on the bottom legs, they look like squashed domes.
I have since shortened the legs a little as I thought it was sitting a tad too high. Its hard to know just how long they are as they are rarely shown on the tv.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7170.JPG (113.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7171.JPG (113.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7179.JPG (119.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7180.JPG (119.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7183.JPG (118.3 KB, 10 views)

Old 09-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #11
umotogp
Waste Technician

very nice, always difficult knowing how high, how long, how thick, but the reality is no model and scene were the same, i think as long as its right to your eye and to what your references are, i.e. TV stills. photos etc, that's all you can do, looking great though mate
Old 20-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #12
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

To finish the skid legs I needed to create the dome like shape that hides the join between the skid and the leg. As before I cut off the ends of some Action Man (GI Joe) plastic air tanks but to elongate them I covered them in filler and sanded till I had changed them from round domes to oval ones. I had to fill and sand a few times before I was happy.
Once primed I sprayed them with some Ford Moondust silver I had lying around. I won't glue them in place yet. One thing I forgot to mention was the skids are removable.
I've also added a photo of the finished periscope assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7184.JPG (116.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7191.JPG (112.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7192.JPG (113.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7276.JPG (112.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7395.JPG (109.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 21-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #13
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default In dry dock.....

Hi M, been landlocked for a wee while so haven't checked in for a few weeks, and suddenly here you are with Mk 2!!! Delighted to see the old girl taking shape again under your expert care - and if things don't go exactly according to plan then please don't give up. We all want you to achieve your long-held goal of displaying that wonderful sub in all her glory.

Looking forward to seeing plenty more photographs of the assembly,

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #14
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Hi Patrick

I've been steadily working on her for a few weeks with one or two changes. Usually I jump from one section to another but this time I've concentrated doing one thing at a time until its done before I move onto the next.
On this Mk2 I've decided not to do the recesses for the Aqua sprites mostly due to laziness but also I had some difficult getting them to sit nice and snug so I'll do something different this time.
Another thing I've changed is the side stabilisers, last time they were fixed this time they can rotate and more importantly be removed when moving the model around.
I'm just going by memory of the last build to overcome any problems I had and so far its worked out fine. Now as to painting that still is not planned.
Old 23-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #15
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

On my last Stingray the side stabilisers were in a fixed position so this time I decided to have them removable. I thought it would be better when moving the model around and storage if they could be removed, plus I think on the original studio model they were movable but I don't think it was shown.
I first cut off about 10mm from the end of the fins, this piece will be fixed to the hull and provide the hinge, the gaps were filled and sanded to blend everything together. Next I drilled matching holes in both parts to take a steel rod which was glued into the fin and will just push into the hull part. Sounds simple but it took a while to make sure the holes were in the right place.
I think it adds another dimension by having moving parts especially when its sitting on the shelf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7210.JPG (118.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7280.JPG (117.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7285.JPG (111.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7287.JPG (116.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7288.JPG (118.1 KB, 16 views)

Old 24-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #16
Dave
Communications Officer

Great idea with the fins!
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #17
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Moving on up.....

....just gets better and better M. Still adapting and improving!! A real inspiration to other modellers.

Keep on going on,

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #18
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

When I worked on the previous cabin I kept on breaking the window frames when I picked it up so this time I've cut out some mdf and taped it in place to give some extra strength. I used the cutting disc on my mini drill to roughly cut out the windows then with a mixture of mini files, nail files and sandpaper shaped the windows. Any defects were filled and sanded.
I made the two 'portholes' on either side a fraction smaller this time. After some sanding I sprayed the cabin with primer a few times with a sand in-between each coat.
The piece of mdf will be permanently fixed in place later on once the model is finished as it also helps to shape the cabin to the ridge on the hull.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7301.JPG (123.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7299.JPG (118.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7365.JPG (120.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7366.JPG (123.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7375.JPG (113.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-08-2017, 05:41 PM   #19
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

The next thing to do was to attach the fins to the cabin. Last time I used steel pins to join them to the roof but this time the fins had some extra length to them so I decided to take advantage.
I cut out a strip from the roof using my mini drill cutter, the bottom of the fin will fit into this slot and should make it easier. With some fine tuning I glued and also used filler inside the cabin to secure it in place. Once set it was down to filling and sanding to blend it in. This was the same for the other fin. The tin of paint sitting on the roof was to make sure nothing moved.
Before everything set I had to make sure they were at the right angle using various methods and taping them in place.
Once finished it certainly makes a difference to Stingray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7398.JPG (119.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7400.JPG (113.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7399.JPG (118.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7403.JPG (117.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF7416.JPG (118.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-08-2017, 07:40 AM   #20
umotogp
Waste Technician

Quote:
The next thing to do was to attach the fins to the cabin. Last time I used steel pins to join them to the roof but this time the fins had some extra length to them so I decided to take advantage.
I cut out a strip from the roof using my mini drill cutter, the bottom of the fin will fit into this slot and should make it easier. With some fine tuning I glued and also used filler inside the cabin to secure it in place. Once set it was down to filling and sanding to blend it in. This was the same for the other fin. The tin of paint sitting on the roof was to make sure nothing moved.
Before everything set I had to make sure they were at the right angle using various methods and taping them in place.
Once finished it certainly makes a difference to Stingray
Looking good Badsimmonds, thats exactly how I fitted the fins too, always good to see it taking shape, keep up the good work mate