Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 08-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #41
KiwiElf
Waste Technician

Hi Miger1

Am looking into it;(ie 3-D printing) - I haven't been on the site for quite a while and happy to say my surviving version of the kit also "survived" the move to another city. However, after now almost 50 years, the plastic has become extremely brittle and I'm considering reconstructing/recreating each part from scratch and taking moulds off it.

My business partner who is still in Auckland, assures me that it can be done (he's a graphic designer as well, a huge Anderson fan like me - since we were kids - and a fantastic model builder to boot). Thanks to Paul's excellent scans of all the parts, I'm confident we can recreate the missing parts.

(as I posted above, mine was missing the ratemaster, rear fins, cabin fins, boosters & periscope, but that's all).

We may have to recreate some accurate 3-view drawings - I'm not quite sure of the process involved in 3-D printing for what needs to be done or the cost.

Will advise soon.

Regards

KiwiElf
KiwiElf is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:30 AM   #42
miger1
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks,what great news! good luck with your efforts m8.

I would imagine the actual 3d scanning of all the parts would be quite a laborious process in itself.

I look forward to your updates on this.
miger1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #43
KiwiElf
Waste Technician

Hi again miger1 -

Hoping to make a few calls today. Initially to see what they require (I imagine it will be 3-views to scale) which I'll have to carefully draw in accurate drafting style derived from Paul's earlier scans/photos (thank goodness he put a ruler in the pics for scale reference!)

Obviously, I can't laser scan the missing bits and I'm worried if I disassemble it any further I'll do more damage. Grrr!

Was whipping through the STINGRAY videos over the W/E and studying still frames of the beauty, and noticed there must have been at least 4+ different miniatures:
The Airfix model is 12" long and am sure that's the one we see enter the ocean door on the way out in the opening title sequence; the ratemaster isn't spinning and is "solid" as opposed to transparent. Also the rear cabin fins don't look so pronounced in profile.

Phil Rae's terrific blueprints (Hi Phil - hope we can chat some time!), appear to be based on the model we see on the launch platform - and in most shots - no idea how large the actual miniature would have been (the profile is quite different). The giveaway is the larger conning tower/hatch, portholes and the two white horizontal stripes under the cabin windows: On this model the stripes aren't parallel with the hull but kinda converge downward towards the rear.

Then there's the "biggie" with all the detail for closeups (working skids, opening forward hatch and moveable fins - the Aquasprite detail on this is really different). It also has large rectangular hatches down the sides below the cabin. This appears on the Master Models Website who claim to have built many of the Anderson models and looks to be about 3-4 ft long (WOW I would love that one!)

http://www.mastermodels.co.uk/

The 4th one, (and there maybe more), which I haven't seen in any actual TV episodes so far, is the one which appeared in public photos, ie, various TV21's & the Annuals, which has the noticeably raised cabin, no boosters under the side fins, and a larger 2-tube periscope (as opposed to 3-tubes), and an odd white "button" inside the conning tower top hatch.

Problem: They're ALL different

Here's a picture of my surviving "wreck"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Stingray-38.jpg (49.9 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by KiwiElf; 11-12-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #44
Cool Caveman
Weapons Technician

The Airfix Stingray is closest to the 'prototype' Stingray that was owned by Reg Hill.

This was the model that Phil had, and that I remember seeing in one of the Anderson events in the 80s in London (84?). I have photos of it somewhere.

I'm sure Phil can fill you in on the details...
Cool Caveman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:09 PM   #45
miger1
Astrophysics Technician

I think Gordon's right. AFAIK, Airfix had access to the 'Reg Hill' prototype to produce the kit.
I assume Phil still has this model.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:01 AM   #46
KiwiElf
Waste Technician

Thank you for the background info guys - that clears up a few "mysteries" for me.

Spoke with a 3-D printing company just now and it's mostly good news. (which means the same can be easily done in the UK).

The missing parts can be created from 3-view scale drawings (ideally they'd like them in 3-D format from compatible 3-D modelling software programs but these would likely be "rare" for most of us to have them - I certainly don't . I didn't specifically ask, but any of the popular mainline proggies like 3-D Studio Max etc would probably work?). I'm still trying to get my head around FSDS for Flight simulator! (another project LOL)

They can "fix" or reverse-engineer a broken or damaged part this way by "editing" the flaws & reconstructing it.

Any additional photographs to assist them will be useful so I will be hauling all of Paul's photos onto a flashdrive.

Of course, they want to see the actual model to get a clear idea of what I'm attempting to create and they can provide a refined quote. (He was familiar with the show and I stepped him through an image of what needed to be "built", ie the missing bits) - he estimated at this point around NZ$300.

The primary material is a nylon-type plastic which is quite firm (ie not fragile, bendy or soft) when completed. The ratemaster could then be re-cast in clear resin if desired. I'd have to do a bit of research as to the compatibility of modelling type glues, paints etc.

He also told me they can accurately laser scan the exterior shape of any part, (including the whole built-up model), without harming the original(s) in any way.

I guess the ideal would be to get an original unassembled kit and scan & build each piece but that's likely to be costly (possibly as much as what such a kit is worth these days), but yeah, theoretically, moulds could then be taken off any of those "newly printed" parts, or just churn multiple copies out from the printer & construct from scratch.

Looks like I have some drawings to do!

Last edited by KiwiElf; 12-12-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #47
Cool Caveman
Weapons Technician

I'll look for the photos I took before I had to sell the two kits I had... feel free to remind me if I don't do so in the next few weeks...
Gordon
Old 12-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #48
thunderboy
Life Support Technician

The prototype is also featured here with Phil Rae.... enjoy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8aXMOSwfQKU
thunderboy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 05:36 AM   #49
KiwiElf
Waste Technician

Thanks Gordon & Thunderboy - that vid is terrific - very clear.

I can see some subtle differences in the shape of the nose on the prototype.

Gordon, if I may ask; is there any chance you have a higher resolution image of the "3 models" you posted back at #23? The matches I found on Google are all the same size - SMALL
The angle of the 2 x finished models is EXACTLY what I'm looking for compared to other model pics I've found on the net so far ... (for something else).

I've occasionally had to reverse engineer 3-view plans for "things" the old fashioned way (ie no laser scanning, CAD or 3-D modelling programs), sometimes with just photos and a few dimensions as a reference. When you're dealing with several different shaped & sized miniatures as reference, it's quite a trick!

(Mr Phil Rae... I would love to chat to you about that and urmmm... "pick your brains" for advice )

Last edited by KiwiElf; 13-12-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 14-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #50
Cool Caveman
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiElf View Post
Gordon, if I may ask; is there any chance you have a higher resolution image of the "3 models" you posted back at #23? The matches I found on Google are all the same size - SMALL
The angle of the 2 x finished models is EXACTLY what I'm looking for compared to other model pics I've found on the net so far ... (for something else).
Yes, I need to dig the original photo out of one of my backup hard drives, so give me a little time.

It's been a while since I saw that photo - I forgot I used to have three of them!!

Old 14-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #51
KiwiElf
Waste Technician

No worries mate - that would be awesome! (Was hoping the original pic was yours and you'd still have the higher res versions).

Shoot me a PM when/if you find em - no hurry - we're getting into crazy time anyways with Xmas just a bit over a week away. I'll PM a reply & give you my email so you can send me the hi res vsns directly (I think this site crunches down a pic if it gets too big?)

My gawd... you had those 3? *sob* - I won't ask...
Old 14-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #52
thunderboy
Life Support Technician

I think a lot of its to do with the different shaping of the missile tubes too, some are larger than others, its some thing that carries through to the models produced.
thunderboy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:50 AM   #53
KiwiElf
Waste Technician

Hiya folks - wishing you all a Happy New Year from the land of Hobbits!

My last artwork for 2016! (finished it just before midnight Kiwi time) - Created it from my banged up model to show the 3-D printers and will hopefully serve as a base for another project later. It's a composite of the really big studio model and my Airfix one, so bound to be some "anomalies" but here are the two for comparison. (larger one included at what will be the finished A3 size) - consider it a "work in progress".

Best regards to all for the New Year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stingrays Compared.JPG (61.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Stingray Large.JPG (105.2 KB, 62 views)
Old 02-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #54
miger1
Astrophysics Technician

Looks good!
Old 02-01-2017, 11:25 PM   #55
Cool Caveman
Weapons Technician

Nice job KiwiElf!

Old 10-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #56
miger1
Astrophysics Technician

I think this still from the 60's Des O'Connor sketch shows the model Airfix used to base their model on.
An original model was used here. It looks like it has the static grey ratemaster and it looks about the same size.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:32 AM   #57
KiwiElf
Waste Technician

The Des O'Conner sketch was hilarious!

Yep, looks about right for the Airfix kit; it and the really large studio model look quite similar - the other miniatures incl the "Hero" model, which Phil Rae did the blueprints for, are quite different. (I still have to tidy up the ratemaster & work on the windows in my illustration tho' - think I've done them a bit too "big" (deep)

Gahhhh I tried this with Supercar, too. Big differences between the really small miniature and the large puppet-sized studio model (there were two of that I think - one featured a longer nose after the original had been damaged in an accident. Don't think it was ever seen in the TV episodes, only still photos after the fact). Same with some of the Stingray photos we see as mentioned earlier ie, "button" in the conning tower & raised cabin.

Matching up the interiors to the miniatures is another mind-bending trick
Old 18-03-2017, 08:26 PM   #58
miger1
Astrophysics Technician

Hi, I just thought i'd ask if there was any update on this KiwiElf?

Tags
airfix stingray, anderson competition, kitmaster, lyons maid competition, lyons maid sea jet, mail away kit, rare airfix kit, stingray model kit