Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 06-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #1
Ken Skiffington
Astrophysics Technician

Default U.F.O.

This is a studio scale UFO from the tv series UFO that my friend Chris and I did ---This is now a kit at Larson Design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0265.jpg (190.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0270.jpg (200.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0274%20(2).jpg (41.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 04884c2f.jpg (119.7 KB, 95 views)
Ken Skiffington is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

nice
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #3
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

Aren't we going to see an assembled pic of this kit when it's finished?
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #4
Ken Skiffington
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop Artist View Post
Aren't we going to see an assembled pic of this kit when it's finished?
yes as soon as he can send me a copy
Old 25-03-2016, 11:05 PM   #5
elder7uk
Medical Technician

Although I have every respect for the skills and abilities of kit makers,I still find it very very strange that a replica of the model Saucer from UFO has still to be seen.Not even the likes of Martin Bowers has produced an accurate replica of Meddings design as realised by Century 21 modelmaker Eric Backman for example
Of course the look is always similar,but critically the shape and finish of the various parts is always wrong.
It does,nt help of course that the three different sizes used in the show had variations,but you would have thought that somewhere the standard model as described by Eric Backman could be have been provided commercially by now.

After all the evidence is in front of our eyes.Just look at the last picture in the first post.
elder7uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-03-2016, 12:31 AM   #6
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Probably because the actual filming model was quite crude compared to most of the rest of the models in the series.

Kits for cash aka Heritage Models do a very nice kit, I've got one just need to build it at some point...

http://www.kitsforcash.com/ufo-alien...er-12000-p.asp
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #7
elder7uk
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldman View Post
Probably because the actual filming model was quite crude compared to most of the rest of the models in the series.

Kits for cash aka Heritage Models do a very nice kit, I've got one just need to build it at some point...

http://www.kitsforcash.com/ufo-alien...er-12000-p.asp
Yes I've heard before that Century 21 models were crude.I don't buy that.They were made to a very high standard.

The excuse has also been made that a properly constructed replica model for display and close up inspection has to be made to an even higher standard,otherwise this crudeness shows up.Fair enough,eye resolution is far more exacting than film resolution for example.

But models made of Interceptors,SKY One's and Mobile's still look exactly the same as the one's on the show.

Then why is it that none of the UFO saucer's do,including the one you have illustrated.

Look at the model you've highlighted.

Firstly before we mention anything else.It's overall shape is wrong.The lower clear canopy also has the wrong profile.The upper clear canopy should not be distanced from the upper cone the way it is .Again I'd argue the shape is also slightly inaccurate.

The paddles are corrugated .On the medium size model (seen most) they were smooth and chrome covered.
Similarly with the Vanes.
The inner cone body is corrugated as it should be,but you'll never be able to recreate the finish of the original with the structure pre-corrugated in this way.

That's also the case with the pre-corrugated vanes and paddles.
Yes you can spray with one of the very good chrome sprays available.I've seen such a model on these forums.And although the models were made to a high standard,the finish achieved was still ineffective and just plainly wrong.
The larger UFO did have corrugated paddles and vanes ,but the inherent chrome reflectiveness was in the actuall corrugated material used to cover them.
Eric Backman described it as "a silver corrugated material"

Mike Trim stated specifically it was "a self adhesive flexible vinyl-like material with a high chrome finish.It came on a peel off backing sheet".

So any model parts should make allowances for the addition of this kind of material onto the central cone for the common model and also the vanes and the paddles for the larger version.

Mike Trim was not absolutely certain where this material came from .He seemed to think it may have been liberated in liberal quantities from one of the other companies on the Slough Trading estate..

However the point here is,without something like this or something (accurately) simulating this material ,plus the ordinary use of chrome tape on the medium size UFO means that an accurate model replica will never be produced.

The real test then,apart fom getting certain shapes right (and that should be the easy bit) is the quality reproduction of this corrugated chrome finish.

Off hand I can certainly state one method of producing a simulated finish of this material,although to make a good job of it needs a decent model maker with a steady hand and patience.

Simply use Chrome Solar Trim on it's own backing resting on a model mat,then carefully and rather firmly take a large pin (experiment required) and score the chrome cone development pattern 64 times.The medium sized 6/8 in model featured in the opening entry of this thread has 64 corrugations (the larger model has many more).The idea is not to tear the Chrome,then peel it off it's backing sheet when finished and transfer it to a ready made smooth cone.

Off course a purpose made backing is best,and given that it was available in the 60's means that it could be re-produced now.

Last edited by elder7uk; 26-03-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 26-03-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Well the solution in the end is if none of the commercial models are up to what you consider scratch, then you can build your own.
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
elder7uk
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldman View Post
Well the solution in the end is if none of the commercial models are up to what you consider scratch, then you can build your own.
Don't take me the wrong way,it's not annoyance it's just utter amazement given the quality and accuracy with which other models from all of the Anderson shows are made both commercially and by individuals.

Objectively they just can't get this one right.

As you indeed suggest,make your own.I have,but they are small,and as you say crude,but I don't rate myself as a modeller,but I love models.

The idea with the pin is the method I use for my own small models.My Avatar is one of these.
I can certainly say that,that effect and many other others besides could not be created without the special corrugated chrome finish.
Old 28-03-2016, 02:01 AM   #10
Ken Skiffington
Astrophysics Technician

Do you have any pic of the one you are talking about
thanks ken

Old 28-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #11
elder7uk
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Skiffington View Post
Do you have any pic of the one you are talking about
thanks ken
Ken.I'd just like to say that I've tried to make this model myself,however I am not a model maker.It's just this particular miniature that gets me hot and flustered (if I can say that about a collection of plastic,chrome and styrene).

See the three pictures below, of what is, a model used on the show.One of them was in your opening post.It's the medium sized design settled on for most shots,and measures between about 6 to 8 ins in diameter (quoting Eric Backman)

An off side view,a side view and a top view.

The essential silver corrugated material spoken of by Eric Backman,is easily seen on the central cone.However you appreciate from the top view it's very subtle,but when seen in the off side and side view (where the light catches it) it's very bright and sparkling (this harsh lighting shows it up as having a very broken and uneven finish,but that,s what makes it so important).

When light reflects off it,it spreads out the light ,this is caught by the chrome tape vanes,and the central body becomes chrome illuminated.You cannot get this effect with a simple chrome covered centre.
Similarly when you bathe the model in soft light at certain angles ,the centre corrugated pattern almost disappears and it becomes smooth.
Again with a built in corrugated finish (as with many kits) you cannot get this effect.

As I say I am not a modeller,but my 60mm version (pictured) tries to show what I mean.The first shows the bright chrome effect (using a pin to carefully deform the chrome tape).The second shows how soft lighting makes the corrugated pattern disapper.
It's a bit rough looking I grant you,but that's just me,not enough patience I'm afraid.The shape is good though even if presentation is lacking.
It's just the idea I want to get across.
The shape of a UFO doesn't really matter to much,Meddings modellers made at least half a dozen,some tall,some wide,and some dumpy.Some with stick out vanes others with almost stubs.However all had consistences.The centre cone,the black striped plate,the upper and lower clear canopies all essentially had the same shape and profile and harmonised with each of the individual variations.

I am referring here only to this middle version (a corrugated chrome reflective centre cone and chrome taped vanes and paddles).There is of course a smaller version (totally different (a prototype),based around the same kind of design) and the larger model used for close up work,which again has different design elements,but resembles the overall general shape.All of it's surfaces were covered with the Eric Backman silver corrugated material.

To sum up.The corrugated finish to the central cone,has to be an integral covering,not shaped out of plastic and sprayed or covered in chrome tape or foil.Doing it that way any subtle effect is lost.
That goes for the larger version as well.

I like to think these observations are helpful,and we will one day help to finally get the UFO model saucer that replicates the originals,by better model makers than me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ufo_off.jpg (40.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg ufo_sid.jpg (30.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg ufo_top.jpg (40.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg S1090015Resize.jpg (98.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg S1090017Resize.jpg (141.5 KB, 81 views)
Old 28-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #12
seaview
Eagle Pilot

HI GUYS
JUST BEEN READING THIS THREAD

Looking at the overall shape of the UFO
You are discussing about is pretty straight forward

The clear top dome answer bottom dish is very easy
To replicate

Howard ever the center section
You are taking about regards to be corrugated
Coverd in chrome tape
I would have to disagree ,when you look up close the ends
Where the light is reflecting of appears to be rounded of

Given me the impression that they are individually glued around the outside of the inner shape center
In fact some look as though they have come loose as they are leaning over a bit and are also set a little deep because you can see the voids in between

The segments that the paddles are attached to
Also appear to me as they could be clear

The paddles themselves are with out a doubt flat
One has a single slot
And are chrome tape or a polished metal

It's a shame there are no scenes
From the series showing the interia
I can only think of one episode where Paul foster is taken
On board
Also the episode where shado find a giant dome with a reconstruction of the shado head quarters
And there was a outline of where a ufo
Had landed and looked very small

I'm my option. The UFO would be much much larger
If your in no hurry Id take on the challenge of building
One
Best
Pete
seaview is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 12:07 AM   #13
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

I's a shame Product Enterprise used the inaccurate Shed Models UFO as a basis to do their diecast. It's ok but it's noticably inaccurate. Still it's the only diecast out there and it's good to have it.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #14
elder7uk
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaview View Post
HI GUYS
JUST BEEN READING THIS THREAD

Looking at the overall shape of the UFO
You are discussing about is pretty straight forward

The clear top dome answer bottom dish is very easy
To replicate

Howard ever the center section
You are taking about regards to be corrugated
Coverd in chrome tape
I would have to disagree ,when you look up close the ends
Where the light is reflecting of appears to be rounded of

Given me the impression that they are individually glued around the outside of the inner shape center
In fact some look as though they have come loose as they are leaning over a bit and are also set a little deep because you can see the voids in between

The segments that the paddles are attached to
Also appear to me as they could be clear

The paddles themselves are with out a doubt flat
One has a single slot
And are chrome tape or a polished metal

It's a shame there are no scenes
From the series showing the interia
I can only think of one episode where Paul foster is taken
On board
Also the episode where shado find a giant dome with a reconstruction of the shado head quarters
And there was a outline of where a ufo
Had landed and looked very small

I'm my option. The UFO would be much much larger
If your in no hurry Id take on the challenge of building
One
Best
Pete
I agree,the various shapes incorporated in the model are the easiest things to address given all the photos,DVD's etc.

The corrugated centre are not individual strips.To confirm Mike Trim (who should know) stated categorically that it was a chrome corrugated reflective material rescued from the Slough Trading Estate in liberal quantities.It had a peel off backing.It is very visible in episodes of Captain Scarlet.Just look at Col White's leg supports on his console.Its the same material.

The segments (or vanes) that are attachéd to the centre are most definitely not clear.They are covered with Chrome Tape as are the outer paddles.
As mentioned Centrury 21 model maker Eric Backman (who made some of the UFO's) stated that they used Chrome Tape and a Silver Corrugated material (this is what Mike Trim referred to)

Last edited by elder7uk; 29-03-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 29-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #15
seaview
Eagle Pilot

Well
You could also use peel off chrome mirror vinyl
You would get it from sign makers

As for the center section
Whatever is underneath it's not corrugated
To me more like smaller veins that if they are Coverd in chrome tape are spaced out
I can make out roughly 4 in one segment
Before everything starts to look dazzling

The photos they have so much light on the model
The inner center section is dazzling bright
This could be one of the reasons why
Some models the center section
Is more tapered because you can't really make out
The angle like the padded arms
If all the arms were to be removed apart from two
For a side view

But with continuous paddled arms around the outside
You can't really see the side view

I expect I will get around to build one myself but more in scale with the interceptor I'm currently building
Good luck
Pete

Old 29-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #16
elder7uk
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaview View Post
Well
You could also use peel off chrome mirror vinyl
You would get it from sign makers

As for the center section
Whatever is underneath it's not corrugated
To me more like smaller veins that if they are Coverd in chrome tape are spaced out
I can make out roughly 4 in one segment
Before everything starts to look dazzling

The photos they have so much light on the model
The inner center section is dazzling bright
This could be one of the reasons why
Some models the center section
Is more tapered because you can't really make out
The angle like the padded arms
If all the arms were to be removed apart from two
For a side view

But with continuous paddled arms around the outside
You can't really see the side view

I expect I will get around to build one myself but more in scale with the interceptor I'm currently building
Good luck
Pete
Have a look here.This is the same material unhindered by vanes covered with chrome tape.All taken from the Captain Scarlet episode "Place of Angels".

As you can see from the fridge photo,the same material is used on the inside edges and on the inside of the door.It's so subtle,the pattern almost dis-appears on the inside of the door as the light reflection changes,yet in other light the distinctive corrugated appearance is plainly apparent reflecting the light differently revealing it's greater texture.It's almost like two lots of material in one.
This is latter quality is particular noticeable on the control panels,but also to a degree on the platform of Col White's console.
Old 29-03-2016, 09:26 PM   #17
seaview
Eagle Pilot

Stand corrected

Looking at the chrome effect on a flat surface
The individual raised pieces look like just plain
Chrome striped tape

Those stripes also might have been used on the MSV
That runs along the top section
But just cut down ? TO TWO STRIPES EITHER SIDE

That's the way I would go
Maybe double up the tape to make it appear thicker

Cheers for the ref photos
Best
Pete
Old 01-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #18
nialle46
Forum Supporter

Default Chrome material

Quote:
Originally Posted by elder7uk View Post
Have a look here.This is the same material unhindered by vanes covered with chrome tape.All taken from the Captain Scarlet episode "Place of Angels".

As you can see from the fridge photo,the same material is used on the inside edges and on the inside of the door.It's so subtle,the pattern almost dis-appears on the inside of the door as the light reflection changes,yet in other light the distinctive corrugated appearance is plainly apparent reflecting the light differently revealing it's greater texture.It's almost like two lots of material in one.
This is latter quality is particular noticeable on the control panels,but also to a degree on the platform of Col White's console.
Hi, very well spotted,I was looking around ebay sites for something similar to this without success, any idea what they might have used, it would benefit model and puppet people/set designers , regards Niall.
nialle46 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:32 AM   #19
elder7uk
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialle46 View Post
Hi, very well spotted,I was looking around ebay sites for something similar to this without success, any idea what they might have used, it would benefit model and puppet people/set designers , regards Niall.
I think this particular kind of sticky backed covering was very fashionable in the 60's when home DIY really kicked off and everyone was looking to improve their room interiors.
It was simple,effective and up to date.
Sticky backed plastic was all the rage in the 60's for all kinds of uses.
This material was just a version of one of those.

It could easily be re-produced today,but technology and people's tastes have moved on.
You still see backings of the sort in DIY stores,you might get lucky,but the ranges available seem to be very restricted.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #20
portland182
Astrophysics Technician

If you are in the UK and live near a Hobbycraft you should have a look at this

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/duck-tap...3fvxoCyoDw_wcB

It looks to be very similar to the 60's sticky back plastic

Jim
portland182 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote