Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Anderson - Reference Section, Member Builds and Detailing > Fireball XL5 > Member Collections

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
mirrorman
Life Support Technician

Default Fireball XL5 Spec Sheet

Hi, just new here but I think this is the place to put this. I've had it for many years, and believe it's part of the spec sheet that was supplied to companies who were producing Fireball XL5 related items at the time.

Hope these images work .. oh, and sorry for them not being great, I'll try to scan them next time.

Last edited by mirrorman; 28-06-2012 at 10:44 AM.
mirrorman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
TerraForm1
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorman View Post
Hi, just new here but I think this is the place to put this. I've had it for many years, and believe it's part of the spec sheet that was supplied to companies who were producing Fireball XL5 related items at the time.
You're absolutely right Mirrorman - It was distributed to companies that manufactured licensed items for the show as a guide so that everything was consistent when seen on the store shelf. (Logos, colours, etc). It was also created for character and vehicle reference to the toy designers. This specification sheet format was repeated for each subsequent Anderson production, although it became a little more simplified from Joe 90 onwards.

The side you've kindly photographed was reproduced in Century 21 magazine many years ago, but like similar reproductions, it was aggressively cleaned up before going to print and suffered from the process. For example, the retoucher's efforts to whiten the background have caused Robert's transparent outer shell to disappear.

So... Your offer to scan the piece (maybe in high resolution sections) would be greatly received. Is the other side of the sheet viewable? It presented an overview of the series along with publicity stills as per the thumbnail pic below.

Thanks for sharing,
TF1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqJ,!nQE8Ykkelf)BPKZ5OSpZg~~60_12.JPG (49.3 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by TerraForm1; 28-06-2012 at 05:21 PM.
TerraForm1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
mirrorman
Life Support Technician

This is a colour copy of the original which I borrowed from Dennis Nicholson many years ago when he was making his book. I have it laminated as a poster, and had it hanging on my wall for a while. Unfortunate thing is I only had the one side copied as the costs back then to get larger posters copied were quick high, so I can't help you with the other side.

It may take a while to get this scanned, but I'll see what I can do.
Old 29-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
TerraForm1
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks mirrorman. It's amazing how many nostalgic names are resurfacing from Supermarionation fandom history on this forum lately. I still refer to Dennis' book quite often in order to get clarification on merchandise details.
TF1
Old 29-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Steve Zodiac
Astrophysics Technician

I have an original spec sheet. It is in a double sided frame so both sides can be seen. Unfortunately this prevents scanning. I will do my best to photograph the back when I can get it in daylight.
Steve Zodiac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
pod7
Alphan

For your possible interest, a discussion regarding the various TV Century 21 Merchandising specification sheets, including that based on Fireball XL5, is currently ongoing at http://www.fanderson.org.uk/forum/sh...p?t=680&page=3
pod7 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
TerraForm1
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks pod7. You need to be registered at Fanderson to see bigger images so off I go to apply...

Last edited by TerraForm1; 01-07-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 17-03-2014, 02:53 AM   #8
mirrorman
Life Support Technician

Nice one pod7.

I had a scan of a Captain Scarlet sheet some years ago that was on the vehicles. From memory it was much smaller that the Fireball XL5 sheet.
Old 17-03-2014, 02:59 AM   #9
mirrorman
Life Support Technician

Smile

I noticed the links form my first post are dead.

Here they are again .. hope they work.

Old 17-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
pod7
Alphan

Default Captain Scarlet Specification Sheet

For anybody with an interest in reading my comments of June 29th of 2012 concerning the Captain Scarlet specification sheet but who has been hesitant in registering with Fanderson Forum in order to do so, here a repeat -

The original 1967 Captain Scarlet specification sheet exists in at least three different editions. The earliest known to me is a 23 by 36 inch (585mm by 915mm) color version including among the images on its front side a portrait of Symphony wearing a hairstyle with upturned ends, while without "The Angels" logo at the bottom of its reverse side. A full-page color example of the front and a monochrome reproduction of the reverse side appeared in the 2005 Asahi Sonorama visual guidebook to Captain Scarlet/Joe 90/The Secret Service. A smaller colour reproduction of the front side only of this sheet may be found on the illustrated gatefold of the Bandai-Emotion Captain Scarlet And The Mysterons laserdisc #3. A smaller monochrome reproduction of the rear side only of this sheet may be found in the Boxtree book*Captain Scarlet*by Chris Drake and Graeme Bassett and also in*Supermarionation Classics*by the same authors and publisher.

The next variation, again measuring 23 by 36 inches (585mm by 915mm) and in color, includes among the images on its front side an alternate portrait of Symphony; this time with braided hair over her right shoulder, and including “The Angels” logo at the bottom of its reverse side. An example of this edition of the sheet may also be seen in the documentary The Noble Art of Fireball XL5 athttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBnVV...eature=related.

The third edition which measures 224mm by 346mm is double-sided, in monochrome and, except for some very minor variations, it contains the same content as the second edition as listed above. It may have been produced as an inexpensive alternate version of the larger sheet which could be conveniently distributed to fans of the television show.

The 23 by 36 inch full-size editions were reportedly mailed out along with other promotional items to as many as 6,589 toy shops and department stores as part of a six-week campaign to promote the Captain Scarlet & The Mysterons series in late 1967. A detailed write-up concerning this appeared in the September 1967 twelve-page magazine*Century Twenty One Merchandising*supplement to British Toys at*http://www.tvcentury21.com/grfx/c21-...cs-page-11.jpg.

I would welcome contact with anybody who either owns, has access to or is aware of an original example of this full-size color sheet, regardless of its condition.”

Since my last post regarding this topic, I have learned of the existence of a set of Captain Scarlet advertising flyers which were also distributed in 1967 by Century 21 Merchandising Limited. Examples of several of these flyers appear here . Those shown each contain images which appeared on the original full-size Captain Scarlet specification sheet and for this reason would also be of considerable interest to me.

Last edited by pod7; 17-03-2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: attached image did not initially appear in message. URL updated.
pod7 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 18-03-2014, 02:04 AM   #11
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Everybody In The Pool!

Hi, pod7, thank you so much for sharing this!

A veritable roll-call, of Mr Anderson's greatest hits: the ladies, the gentlemen, the good guys, the bad guys, the rides, the toys...oh my! And Robert the Robot, in side profile - who knew?

I pity the poor soul, though, who had to decide what Lady Penelope would wear for so august an occasion...

Really enjoyed - thanks again!
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote