Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Anderson - Reference Section, Member Builds and Detailing > Space 1999 > Ultraprobe

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 09-03-2006, 05:26 AM   #1
mastercaster
Life Support Technician

Default 1/48 Ultra Probe Comand Pod

I have posted pics of my finished Ultra Probe Command Pod on the Space 1999 Modelers group over on Yahoo. You can follow the link to the photo album it is in. Turned out ok. Just wish they had left it in the mold a little longer before demolding it. It warped when it was still "fresh" and therefore cured in that position. Won't win any IPMS contests, but it still is a "pretty" kit.

http://photobucket.com/albums/e148/hawkmkix/

mastercaster is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
tak5haka
Eagle Pilot

It's a really nice job on the model - I particularly like the way it is mounted, very inventive.

Is it the SAW kit?
tak5haka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:01 AM   #3
mastercaster
Life Support Technician

To be quite honest..... I don't know which kit it is. I bought it in 2001 at the IPMS Nationals in Chicago from Tracy at Federation Models. It had no label on it, and the instructions were a combination of text and color copies. The "decals" were adhesive backed stickers. I used none of them. There are no decals on this model. Everything was masked and painted. Having access to a laser helps this process admittedly. The engine bells are turned aluminum as well as a few other scratchbuilt modifications. I wanted to portray this model as the largest of the 3 different sizes that were made, even though its actual size is consistent with the middle sized version. It still has some discrepancies, but they are ones I can live with. I was just happy to finally finish something. As my day job takes up a lot of my time at home as well, modeling time for me is quite scant. I spend most of my time making masters of cold war era ships for my employer. This includes the instructions as well as the photoetch brass artwork and decals for the kits. Funny thing is, you couldn't pay me enough money to build a naval warship kit. I jokingly tell friends that the only ship I will build has the word "star" in front of it.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:52 AM   #4
mastercaster
Life Support Technician

From some reference pics I found of the largest version. I have gone back and included a few of them at the end of the album. If you take notice of the third and last pic of the Ultra Probe, you will notice that the model has the gold stripe in place, but the green and red have not been applied yet. I'm curious as to who "encouraged" you to delete them from your version. From what I've been able to discover, this is the final version, at least of the largest of the three models built. Not to say I'm right and the "other" person is wrong, but this is what I have found.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Excellent work there.

And lots of nice photos showing all the detail.

I have one sitting in the attic, though not sure it is the same kit as there are no colour instructions and the decals are ALPS printed (main body comes in at 19cm in length).

If I ever get round to working on it, would you mind if I use your photos as reference material please.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2006, 01:22 AM   #6
mastercaster
Life Support Technician

Be my guest, that's what they are there for. Now, If I can only find the time to post my Work Bee train photos tonight or this weekend.

I have definitely decided there needs to be 36 hrs in a day. So much to do........so little time to do it in.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The largest and midsize UP models were repainted after the series. There are some photos on the web showing showing the largest UP CM with a completely erroneous colour scheme. The stripes should be orange and grey. I have no idea where the idea for green stripes came from. Give me a short while and I'll find some pics of the correct scheme.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #8
mastercaster
Life Support Technician

Eagle, let me guess, Chris "encouraged" you to change them, right?

Where were you guys when I needed you?

Oh well, its staying the way it is. I have absolutely no time to go back and change them now. Too much work to do for work these days. I'd still welcome the reference pics incase I decide to redo it in my old age, or I scratchbuild the largest version sometime down the road. Hopefully, my Hawk will turn out better. I have spent much more time researching it, than I did the UPCM.

Too bad you guys live on the other side of the pond.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #9
Mr. Wabac
Alphan

Just exploring the site a bit - fantastic job. Camera lens is getting awfully close to the paint job and it still looks flawless !
Mr. Wabac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote