Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Control Room

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #61
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

The original accurate Imai one had resin figures of Parker and Lady P... I think the Aoshima one never had the figures. I'm hoping to get either of these in the near future. I have the older one which I scratchbuilt an interior for, but the blue tinted canopy annoys me. Bit of a mess now... varnish has yellowed and the chrome just gone off. I built it about 20 years ago
TV21Dalek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #62
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21Dalek View Post
The original accurate Imai one had resin figures of Parker and Lady P... I think the Aoshima one never had the figures. I'm hoping to get either of these in the near future. I have the older one which I scratchbuilt an interior for, but the blue tinted canopy annoys me. Bit of a mess now... varnish has yellowed and the chrome just gone off. I built it about 20 years ago

Time to get the new one! It's a nice kit and knocks spots off the older version. I don't know whether you've seen it in detail but it has some really nice touches like separate clear lense's for the headlights - though gluing these is very tricky as you have to scrape a bit of the chrome away and stick them on without having the glue cloud the lense's. I used a cocktail stick to apply it on mine but still haven't finished it yet.

You're most probably correct about the Aoshima reissue not having the figures - though I have the Imai version which didn't include any figures either. There's a leaflet that came with the kit showing them, but they seem to be ones you have to buy separately. The writing's mainly in Japanese so I can't tell.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #63
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

If there is something like ¥1000 next to them then yes I would guess they are to be bought separately. Good thing about FAB1 is that it's 1/32 and can fit well with Airfix cars of the same scale... some 60s kits from Monogram were also that scale. Gunze Sangyo did some too, like a Thunderbird

But a 1/24 FAB1 would be nice... I think the RC one that came out was that scale... with that you could easily recreate shots using classic car kits.
Old 31-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #64
Angelo
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALLINGSTAR View Post
separate clear lense's for the headlights - though gluing these is very tricky as you have to scrape a bit of the chrome away and stick them on without having the glue cloud the lense's. I used a cocktail stick to apply it on mine but still haven't finished it yet.
Use gloss varnish to stick them.
Not only does it act as an adhesive, but being a gloss varnish, any excess will not really show up.
Angelo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #65
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

You can also use PVA or Humbrol ClearFix which is specifically formulated to stick clear parts

Last edited by MkIXHawk; 01-04-2012 at 08:34 AM.
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #66
mack29
Astrophysics Technician

Imai did produce a set of seated Penny and Parker figures for the upgraded version of their FAB1 kit that was sold seperately. I covered the building of the car and the figures in a chapter in my book. Imai also released their standard version of FAB1 with just the busts of P&P in the car with a resin standing figure of Parker.
mack29 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #67
R-E-B
Chef

Did Aoshima actually re-release the new-tool Imai Fab 1? I have the Imai (it's a beauty) but would love to pick up another, but unfortunately I've never seen an Aoshima release.
R-E-B is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #68
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Sorry, my mistake... I took the blue boxes Imai used for their detail kits for Aoshima boxes. That's a pity.
Old 13-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #69
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkIXHawk View Post
You can also use PVA or Humbrol ClearFix which is specifically formulated to stick clear parts

I haven't tried PVA but I tried Clearfix and I found it doesn't stick things very well.
Old 13-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #70
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
Use gloss varnish to stick them.
Not only does it act as an adhesive, but being a gloss varnish, any excess will not really show up.

Afraid I have tried that and I've found it doesn't stick things very well either. One varnish I used appeared to stick the part at first but when it dried it only took a tiny movement and the part would fall off.

Old 13-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #71
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-E-B View Post
Did Aoshima actually re-release the new-tool Imai Fab 1? I have the Imai (it's a beauty) but would love to pick up another, but unfortunately I've never seen an Aoshima release.

Come to think of it - maybe Aoshima haven't re-released it. The one I have is the Imai version.
Old 17-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #72
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

I find that ZAP Formula 560 Canopy Glue is a very good adhesive for clear parts. I use it for lights and windows on my car models.
Old 18-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #73
yorkie
Geological Technician

Aoshima are reissuing several of the Thunderbirds kits this summer-

http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?T...y=Thunderbirds
yorkie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #74
TV21Dalek
Eagle Pilot

Ooh, I'll be getting the Mole and TB1 in November when I'm out in Japan then... yes! Great news!!
Old 18-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #75
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV21Dalek View Post
I find that ZAP Formula 560 Canopy Glue is a very good adhesive for clear parts. I use it for lights and windows on my car models.

I'll look out for that thanks.