Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Observatory > Catacombs Of The Moon - Ebay auctions and selected retailers

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-09-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Default All-white Dinky Eagles were NEVER released!!!

All-white Dinky Eagles were never released.

That's the consensus of opinion from several experts in the field. Don't get ripped-off.

http://www.space1999.net/~dinkyeagle...t-blanc-1.html

Supportive or contradictory comment always welcome, however!
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 06:02 AM   #2
Gumdrop and Spider
Astrophysics Technician

I've been looking for a mint white freighter version for quite some time, however every time I open an ebay listing that has in the title as mint in box, it turns out have "light playwear" etc or the owner will admit to resoration etc. Still looking, as although these Eagles are not very accurate, they have a charm of their own.
Gumdrop and Spider is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 12:11 PM   #3
Eagle
Commander Ret.

...and a White/Red/Silver freighter. Gold dust.

Only been three or four on eBay in the last three years as far as I know...
Old 09-10-2005, 10:29 PM   #4
Eagle
Commander Ret.

There goes another one. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6982005581

Old 10-10-2005, 12:08 AM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

If someone is dumb enough to think that's not two models put together, they deserve to lose their money. In fact they'd be best to avoid eBay altogether.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 12:06 PM   #6
TonyB
Forum Supporter

The thing is that these sellers are depending on the total ignorance of the casual buyer, and the buyer can be far too trusting at times, and as has already been pointed out, if they cannot be bothered to check, then its definately a case of buyer beware.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2005, 07:16 PM   #7
Eagle
Commander Ret.

And another!... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPACE-1999-RAR...temZ6984271021
Old 23-10-2005, 08:34 PM   #8
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I love this bit:

Quote:
I believe these models have infinitely more charm in their original state, even with a few marks.
A few marks? He has put the right photos up with the right auction? I'm surprised charming models don't go for a higher price.
Old 23-10-2005, 08:42 PM   #9
TonyB
Forum Supporter

How on earth can he describe the the condition of the paintwork as only having a 'few' marks, I would love to see the picture of something he described as being in mint condition.

Charming models, do not let Ebay know about that or that will another section added that they can charge you for.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2005, 06:15 PM   #10
Eagle
Commander Ret.

They exist - but they weren't issued...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Superb-RARE-wh...temZ6984961402

I would actually like to be proved wrong here. Because that'd be an excuse to add another item to the collection!

Old 29-10-2005, 09:57 AM   #11
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I've got three of those ultra rare all white versions and I've got three of the equally rare green versions with the red winch pod. You don't see the latter very often on eBay so they must be worth a fortune so if anyone wants to make an offer.....

Kerching!
Old 07-11-2005, 03:42 PM   #12
Zoidberg
Chef

I was 9 when the Eagles were released in the U.S. in 1975, and I got them both for Christmas one year (along with the UFO interceptor, if I remember right). There were only two released via the local toy store (Le Jouet in Metairie, La.); the Green Pod Eagle and the White Cargo Eagle. I had the catalog (for ages, until my Dad cleaned out the attic one day; I mention to him regularly that my Kenner Toy Catalogs from 1976 through 1983 were worth a down-payment on a house); here's a scan:

There was also a blue Eagle (from the 1977 Dinky catalog; although my memory is off; my friend, Cy, might have actually had this one):

The page of scans is here:

http://www.space1999.net/~dinkyeagle...inky-toys.html

I swear, though, my Green Eagle had silver engine bells with red tanks. I think I still have it; will have to sift through more of my rescued home items to see.

Forgive me if this has already been posted elsewhere; it's my first time here on the Eagle Transporter boards.
Zoidberg is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #13
Eagle
Commander Ret.

The green Eagle with silver bells was the first issue - red plastic bells was the second, after they realised the 'baking process' used to make them was far too expensive.

Note also the colour of the attitude thrusters in the first release - yellow.

Check 'em here: http://www.eagletransporter.com/alleagles.asp

Thanks for joining us - and a great first post!

Old 14-01-2006, 06:45 PM   #14
voituer
Alphan

Default Dinky all white Eagle

I have been directed to this group as I have an all white Eagle on Ebay and many people have stated it is a fake.

I state my case for this item here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MESE:IT

In 1975/76 I bought a dinky Eagle from my local toy shop, it was the transporter and looked like the one on TV. It had red engines and silver rocket ends. In about 1990 I was offered 200 for my old toy loose. a couple of years later I bought this one from Christies, it was exactly the same as my childhood one apart from the engine colours were reversed.

I have been collecting toys for many years and used to buy a lot of parts, prototypes etc from previous meccano employees. The one thing that became clear is that these are just toys and not super detail models. What I mean by that is the stories they used to tell me about swapping bits was hilarious. If they ran out of wheels for one car they stuck different ones on, they would do special colours as their own kids presents etc. Regarding the Eagles apparently Dinky presented Gerry Anderson with an all white one and the employees would make them up for themselves and when other parts were short variations were made to fulfil orders.

Apparently the staff shop at Dinky was a goldmine of specials!

I have no doubt at all that all white Eagle were supplied by Dinky, I am sure however that they perhaps were not supposed to be!

Original - certainly, if you go by the catalog they should not exist BUT I bought one brand new from the store. I also own other Dinky variations that are not cataloged but they also do exist and as I got them direct from employees and for not a huge amount of cash so they would not be worth faking.

In the end of the day I have looked through some of these great Space 1999 sites since someone kindly informed me it could be fake, It would, as they all say, be easy to make one of these up. I agree to that as that is what must have also been done at the factory, an original fake?

In the end of the day people must be happy and make their own mind up.

Nick
voituer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #15
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Thanks for the input Nick.

It's a debate that will rage on I'm sure, but that (and what you emailed to me) is certainly convincing testimony.

Old 14-01-2006, 07:11 PM   #16
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Yes, thanks Nick and welcome.

There was probably a great temptation to do it too since an all white combination was not officially offered and yet it was arguably the most desirable match. If they were a non standard colour like yellow or pale blue, I could understand the value attached to them as a rarity but is there really an added value to these models when the parts concerned are supposed to be easily interchangeable? If the colour variant parts were somehow (theoretically) permanently fixed, there'd be a stronger case but anyone owning an all white Eagle is always going to have a struggle proving the provenance and it boils down to the buyer taking the sellers word for it.

The scepticism is compounded by the sheer number that keep turning up on eBay. I'm sure your recollections are accurate but there weren't that many so by definition, some of them aren't what they claim to be. The incentive to fake them and the ease with which it can be done unfortunately undermines the market in the same way that modern repro boxes have.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:19 AM   #17
Elric
Astrophysics Technician

er.... *gasp*

103 with 1 day and 19 hours to go...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Dinky-359...QQcmdZViewItem
Elric is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:04 AM   #18
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Now you see the incentive for people putting these together.

The box it's in is not a sealed type. The seller also has an SPV in a similar box which is pictured out of the box showing that they're not a sealed type. The seller also has a UFO Moonbase Interceptor in a similar box too. All three are supposedly ex shop stock yet all three are rare combinations. How lucky does a shop have to be? The seller gives the impression of knowing about box colours so I'm guessing they know what an all white Eagle (fake or otherwise) could potentially get. Not a bad mark up for an effortless substitution if you were so inclined.

Also, wasn't the white one supposed be only very early issues before they went metallic green? I only mention it because this one has the later red plastic engine bells.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:25 AM   #19
Elric
Astrophysics Technician

I'm sure the bidders don't know what they are in reality bidding for.

All the time I see ridiculous bids on eBay, people paying more than shop price for aircraft kits etc. that are still easily available and in production.
It's hard to understand how some people go about buying things when a 5 minute search on google will often turn up brand new items cheaper than the eBay starting price.

I don't know how far laws on misrepresentation go to be honest but this 'rare' Eagle is pushing things a bit too far IMHO.
Elric is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:29 AM   #20
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

If sellers were forced to tell the truth about their items, eBay's revenue would drop by about 80%.

At the end of the day, the argument is that no one is forced to bid on these things proving the old proverb that, "A fool and his money are easily parted."