Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Observatory > Catacombs Of The Moon - Ebay auctions and selected retailers

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #81
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj. John Sheppard View Post
I just bought an all white eagle off of ebay yesterday. It has chrome engine bells and chrome outside thrusters, don't know about the pod thrusters. I didn't buy it because of any rarity, but rather because I personally think that Eagles should be white, not green (although I like the green ones as well because I had one as a kid). Fortunately, mine was not advertised as an original, so I knew what I was getting. it is interesting that the paint on the pod seems to be worn about the same amount as the paint on the main body...someone must have swapped pods on this one a long time ago. Either way, I don't really care what color it is, since I will now have my first intact Eagle in over 25 years.
Thats really interesting. The side thrusters are chrome. If you mean the little bits on the outside of the pods the legs are on thats v v rare. Mine are either red or yellow. New(ish) here myself
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #82
Maj. John Sheppard
Waste Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalfa View Post
Thats really interesting. The side thrusters are chrome. If you mean the little bits on the outside of the pods the legs are on thats v v rare. Mine are either red or yellow. New(ish) here myself
sorry, didn't mean the little cross-shaped control jets on the landing pods..those are red on mine. I was referring to the lift thrusters on the main body.
Maj. John Sheppard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #83
PurpleAlphan
Life Support Technician

Good on you Maj. John! If you know it's not original (and/or don't care) but you've got what you want then you gotta be happy with that! Well done.
PurpleAlphan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #84
Maj. John Sheppard
Waste Technician

Thanks, I'm sure I'll be very happy with it. The plan is to rebuild it as close as possible to what an eagle is actually supposed to look like, since I don't have a PE eagle yet, and starting with all white paint will be better than trying to strip off tons of metallic green. Now I just have to snag a set of clear pod windows...just located a loose pod with clear windows on ebay listed for 1.99GPB. Too bad dinky eagle parts are hard to find in the US.
Maj. John Sheppard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #85
dep1701
Waste Technician

Several years late on this topic but will chime in anyway. I have 7 Dinky Eagles total and love 'em all. Six of the seven are mint or very very near mint. Three are first issue transporters ( one of which was my first, that I had stripped and repainted in the correct colors as a rescue ship ), two are freighters ( one white/red, the other blue/white ), and two are second issue transporters ( one with replacement red stripe decals made from red tape applied... the original water slide decals had flaked off and the paint underneath was damaged ).

As a kid, I hated the fact that the transporters were green, but when I did get a white freighter and switched the pods out, I could never bring myself to leave them that way. Something in me rebelled because they didn't come that way ( silly, eh? ). Nowadays with all the other excellent Eagle replicas available, I find the oddball colors of the Dinkys part of their unique charm. I'm especially fond of the blue/white combo.

I got several of mine from ebay, and knew exactly what I was getting each time. I wouldn't have bid on a white /white transporter, as I wanted them to be as near mint as possible. In all the shops I visited as a kid, I never once saw an actual white/white combo for sale.

The point of my meandering post? Buy what makes you happy. Toys are meant to be loved and played with...not bought as an investment. I have duplicates of many of my most favorite toys and models, but not for resale value - because I want a spare if something happens to the first one! If you really want a white/white Dinky, by all means buy it. Just be aware of what you're getting, and don't get rooked.

After I'm dead, someone else can resell them and reap the rewards. Not me. I buy things 'cause I want them, not with potential dollar signs in my eyes.

Last edited by dep1701; 20-04-2012 at 02:52 AM. Reason: grammar, punctuation
dep1701 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #86
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

I'm with you on the colours dep1701 - mine are all kept in their original Dinky liverys
I buy for my collection and if I get an item in good condition I'll sell on my old one to allow someone else to enjoy
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #87
dep1701
Waste Technician

Default Dinky Eagle Turnabout

I have a kooky thought: Y'know what I would love to see? I think it would be fun to see a skilled modeler either take apart a Product Enterprise or some other decently sized and detailed Eagle replica, and repaint it in those wild Dinky colors, but weather and detail it with all the usual markings like a proper model, as if it was an actual miniature that would have been used for filming on Space:1999 ( perhaps picture the filming miniature of Thunderbird 2 to get an idea of the overall effect ).

Can't you just see it? Red engine bells with scorch marks, green walkways detailed under a bright white framework, a white passenger pod with a red hatch and red or orange tinted viewport, silver or gunmetal landing gear. As crazy as it might sound, I think it might have been an interesting variation ( like the orange V.I.P. pod ). Perhaps it could be said that it was an Eagle for exclusive operations by the Armed Forces. Or if you wanted to go for Air Force livery, make the base color blue like the second edition freighter.

Of course with the prices that the P.E. Eagles go for now, I'm sure that no one would want to sacrifice one for this nutty project. But wouldn't it be an interesting twist on the old 'why couldn't Dinky get the colors right' argument?
dep1701 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 04:00 AM   #88
edstraker
Alphan

I love this debate, so interesting. Can anyone share some images of other non-catalogued rare Gerry Anderson related Dinkys?
Dopes anyone else have a gold Sam's Car Dinky 108 or a silver Ed Straker's car Dinky 352? I'm keen to share pics and join the group.
edstraker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote