Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > TRIPODS

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 15-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #21
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Hi Guys,

Just to clear up somthing....
There were only 2 of the 2 foot'ish Tripods made (these two), these were the walking ones you saw mostly on screen, they both have very complicated electronics on the inside.
There were 4 of the smaller (croughting) ones made, don't know why cos only 2 were seen on screen in the very backgroung on the sea in one scene.
All the smaller ones are all acounted for...
There was one very large head section and a bit of the top legs built (just for very close up shots)...

Anyway,
As regards the series... (This just my opinion)
On the plus side the effects were excellent and groungbreaking for TV at the time.
On the down side the story particularly in season 1 was very pedestrian and the acting from some of the leads was ahem, wooden.
And even worse was the fact that in some episodes you were very lucky if you ever saw a Tripod !!! Which is a bit odd as the main title was The Tripods. In my opinion there was far to much messing around in the woods, silly things in a circus and off course a cringing romance.
Season 2 was much better after they entered the Tripod city, and even better effects.
It's a great shame they didn't make the 3rd season... I haven't read the books but from what I've heard it would have been the destruction of the city and Tripods... They had all the models made and one thing that the BBC Visual effects crew could do well was explosions !!!
Hmmm but that may have ment that the Tripods that still exist would probably not be here now in good condition, or here at all.

Andy H

Last edited by MoonbaseAlpha; 16-08-2013 at 08:11 PM.
MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
Dano
Alphan

Just to follow up- if there's a full scale kit available for these I'm game! I've been drooling over Andy's Tripod for the last decade or more! ( Phil- don't you dare turn that into an innuendo! ), anyway, before the Hanslope event Andy and myself got some pics with the guns attached!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2905.jpg (197.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2904.jpg (185.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2909.jpg (192.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2907.jpg (177.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2916.jpg (190.3 KB, 57 views)
Dano is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #23
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Just to follow up- if there's a full scale kit available for these I'm game! I've been drooling over Andy's Tripod for the last decade or more!
Now there's a happy coincidence......

Andy has offered to let me CAD the model as soon as we can get our diaries together. I will 3D scan it at the same time and completely photomap it.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #24
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sci-Fi View Post
Now there's a happy coincidence......

Andy has offered to let me CAD the model as soon as we can get our diaries together.
There you are Dan, you'll soon be able to get your hands on somerhing large and pink ... wa-heyyy!!
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #25
Rustymetaldog
Alphan

Thankyou all for your welcome to the forum, one that's actually got some interesting reference on it too!

Not sure whether to progress with my Tripod or not, if accurate plans are being produced? What're the chances, you wait 30 years to make your inaccurate model, then the best pictures of the Tripods appear ever, with even better coverage than they got in 2 series..!

Cheers,

Andy
Rustymetaldog is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #26
sigspace
Weapons Technician

for those of you who are interested, here is a photo of the largest model with its creator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tripod.jpg (185.3 KB, 81 views)
sigspace is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 05:10 AM   #27
West468
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonbaseAlpha View Post
Hi Guys,

Just to clear up somthing....
There were only 2 of the 2 foot'ish Tripods made (these two), these were the walking ones you saw mostly on screen, they both have very complicated electronics on the inside.
There were 4 of the smaller (croughting) ones made, don't know why cos only 2 were seen on screen in the very backgroung on the sea in one scene.
All the smaller ones are all acounted for...
There was one very large head section and a bit of the top legs built (just for very close up shots)...

Anyway,
As regards the series... (This just my opinion)
On the plus side the effects were excellent and groungbreaking for TV at the time.
On the down side the story particularly in season 1 was very pedestrian and the acting from some of the leads was ahem, wooden.
And even worse was the fact that in some episodes you were very lucky if you ever saw a Tripod !!! Which is a bit odd as the main title was The Tripods. In my opinion there was far to much messing around in the woods, silly things in a circus and off course a cringing romance.
Season 2 was much better after they entered the Tripod city, and even better effects.
It's a great shame they didn't make the 3rd season... I haven't read the books but from what I've heard it would have been the destruction of the city and Tripods... They had all the models made and one thing that the BBC Visual effects crew could do well was explosions !!!
Hmmm but that may have ment that the Tripods that still exist would probably not be here now in good condition, or here at all.

Andy H
Hi Andy
Fascinating finding these old posts about your warrior tripod. Chris Jones here from Wellington, New Zealand. I'll be in the UK shortly on research for a book on the making of the series. Will be chatting with some of the VFX guys while I'm there. Would you entertain the idea of having a visitor?
Best - CJ
West468 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #28
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

This may be an old thread bu tit is new to me. I really liked the show but was only able to watch the first season. I did love the book series and hope to find a DVD set so I can see what I missed.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #29
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

I saw these models at the Hanslope show and thought they looked fantastic, its amazing how much detail is on them that you didn't really see on the tv.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote