Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Events > 2015 Events

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Default Blackpool Comic Con - Anderson Display - CANCELLED!!!

Sorry for any people going to this event to see the mega display of Gerry Anderson props, models, puppets, and costumes...and the biggest Space: 1999 display for decades. But the latest info is that the organisers have decided to axe the display room!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After sorting out the room, security, parking, hotels, pass's and everyone then getting time off work, booking transport etc, the organisers have just decided to inform the display team today, just as we were preparing to load the vehicles!!

I feel sorry for anyone going to this Con just to see the display, especially those who may be travelling from abroad. What I think about the people running this event is not printable.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
Retroboy
Astrophysics Technician

As part of the team I can only echo what David has said . Without going into the finer points we've been right royally shafted at the eleventh hour . A huge amount of time , effort and money has gone into what would have been one of the largest Anderson exhibits ever , ever seen .
We are gutted and truly sorry that you will not get to see what would have been a very special event .
Retroboy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

That is truly a poor show from the organizers - it was one of the reasons for going - Hope the Anderson guest will still be there but the camera was primed for some shots
of the Eagles

If its any consolation my wife is taking them to task on facebook
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Expect plenty of excuses....but I'm pretty sure the bottom line is maximising profit.
Best guess so far is that they sold all the normal tickets and only had high-price VIP ones to sell, which meant clearing out any none paying people with VIP room passes....which were all the display people.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #5
Eagle-2
Chief Eagle Pilot

It's an appalling state of affairs, and a bitter disappointment for everyone involved with the display. To cancel at such a late stage is inexcusable. I hope they get a lot of complaints and refund requests.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

There does seem to be a facebook backlash - saw one guy was appalled as he boarded his flight from San Fran !!
Old 11-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

O Lord - Eagle12, was that you? Thought of you at once, when I read this, this am (Pacific)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Binome View Post
There does seem to be a facebook backlash - saw one guy was appalled as he boarded his flight from San Fran !!
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
Communications Officer

If this had been a two day event, as it should've been, things may have been very different.
29390 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 02:29 AM   #9
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Well I am so glad I couldnt get tickets for todays fiasco as my friend who DID get tickets just posted this on my facebook : "For those of you who wanted to go to Comic Con in Blackpool but didn't get to because the tickets sold out... be glad. We got our tickets in advance, and when we arrived it was the longest queue (line) we had ever seen in our lives. This queue went back blocks.. I lost count of how many blocks - and when I say it was a mile long or more that is not an exaggeration.

I have been in busy places before, and stood in rides at Disney World and Great America on their busiest days - those did not even compare to this. Julian and I finally found the end of the queue after walking for blocks, and stood in it for nearly 2 hours and there was still no end in sight to get to the entrance. In fact, it looked like there was more queue ahead of us than behind us.

Finally, we gave up and left it. Sadly, we did not go to Comic Con, though from the reports of the people who did get in, we did not miss a lot. I have never seen anything like it in my life."

Last edited by Slate Mcleod; 13-09-2015 at 02:46 AM.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 02:54 AM   #10
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Apparentally they sold 22,000 ticksts...to the Winter Gardens in Blackpool (ever been there ? It ain't THAT big)...they must have known that two thirds of the people wouldn't get in as the building can no way contain that many people? The entire thing sounds like a nasty money making con.

Last edited by Slate Mcleod; 13-09-2015 at 02:58 AM.

Old 13-09-2015, 05:29 AM   #11
mrpsychopath
Communications Officer

The entire setup was a farce, 2 hours in a queue,3 hours after it opened is a disgrace. And the show was crap as well. Not a great deal of vendors as well going by the spaces all over the place.
mrpsychopath is on duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #12
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

OK agree with above too long a queue to get in no signage you had to wander around to find people -one dealer I knew only got one table when he paid for two !!
The cars listed were not there no 66 or 89 batmobile or Ecto 1 no Bond Lotus - one guy spotted my Eagle Tee and asked where Space City was and I had to tell him it was cancelled - they ran out of food even at the inflated prices
Old 13-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #13
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

But International Rescue saved my day got a sig and chat with Shane Matt and Jeremy but best report has to go to David Graham he signed my TB book and would not take payment so I get a a photo for my son Scott and he gave him it free as well stating an early Xmas gift - they were true gentlemen and my day was complete with a sig and chat with Ayesha from UFO
Old 13-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #14
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Extraordinary Gentlemen...

...truly in a league of their own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Binome View Post
But International Rescue saved my day got a sig and chat with Shane Matt and Jeremy but best report has to go to David Graham he signed my TB book and would not take payment so I get a a photo for my son Scott and he gave him it free as well stating an early Xmas gift - they were true gentlemen and my day was complete with a sig and chat with Ayesha from UFO
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #15
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

http://www.comicconventions.co.uk/bl...t-is-going-on/

Old 15-09-2015, 12:21 AM   #16
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

I am following this on another forum specifically set up for complaints, latest is it seems the main organiser is now doing a runner and hasnt even payed the guests, locked the fire doors for some reason, and has conducted VAT fraud. I hope he goes to jail for a very long time. Thread is here :https://www.facebook.com/groups/449854701884025

Last edited by Slate Mcleod; 15-09-2015 at 12:27 AM.