Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Administration Complex > Commander's Office

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 01-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Default Been a bit absent of late...

I'm err... on a little 'crusade'...
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
w8cmp
Science Officer

Oh do tell....

Is this to do with the 'cull' on the forum here, or something else entirely...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
CR
Science Officer

Just to nip it in the bud, it's probably NOT something to do with the Product Enterprise 12" diecast fleet. So don't even bring it up!

So, I wonder what it is... Aliens? Bond?
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
Eagle
Commander Ret.

It's a 'gun' thing...

RPF'ers will know.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
w8cmp
Science Officer

Ahhh...weapons...that explains it

Old 01-05-2007, 10:51 PM   #6
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

It won't make any difference. The vast balance of the UK population will consider the saving of lives worth throwing the gun collecting hobby on the fire for. Arguing the wording for the definition of an imitation firearm is almost superfluous. Basically, if it looks like a gun to the average member of the public, it has the same power to coerce as a gun. It's not a conspiracy to deprive the British population of it's freedoms. It's a necessity to stem the rising tide of gun ownership and gun crime in the UK. If you want safer flights, you have to give up your right to privacy when a customs officer wants to look at the contents of your bag. It's the same principle. If you want an omelette, you have to break some eggs.

The wording of the laws could perhaps be tightened but it only takes one Star Wars collector to get his house burgled and 99% of the population wouldn't realise they were getting robbed by a man holding a stormtrooper blaster. An Airsoft Walther P99, as we know, can be made to look very convincing and if it convinces, it may just as well be a real one.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:19 AM   #7
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX
It won't make any difference.
Damn, now you're quoting Aliens too!

Seriously, yes, I know it won't. I'm not daft enough to think my 'campaigning' will make any difference. I'm kinda playing devil's advocate with it all.

Quote:
The vast balance of the UK population will consider the saving of lives worth throwing the gun collecting hobby on the fire for.
Alas, you're right there.

Quote:
It's not a conspiracy to deprive the British population of it's freedoms. It's a necessity to stem the rising tide of gun ownership and gun crime in the UK.
I simply can't agree with you there. It's political point-scoring of the worst, thoughtless variety. The simple solution would have been to introduce 20 year+ sentencing for carrying RIFs in public. Would Mr Chav risk that? I doubt it. The new laws won't solve anything; they'll only drive the sale of RIFs underground.

Quote:
If you want safer flights, you have to give up your right to privacy when a customs officer wants to look at the contents of your bag. It's the same principle.
Absolutely with you there. Police State? Bring it on. I have nothing to fear or hide. However, I simply don't see how harming collectors interests will solve the problem of dickhead 'gangs'.

I bought a deactivated Sterling Sub-Machine Gun only last week. It cost the same as a plastic airsoft would have done. Come October, I'll still be able to buy deactivated (real) firearms.

The new law is ill-considered at best.

Peace!

...through superior firepower! :
Old 02-05-2007, 01:57 AM   #8
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

One or two of the other contributors to the thread have talked about a Police State. The UK is not or likely to become one. A Police State is a country where the police are doing the corrupt governments dirty work. The UK population would never give up the right to kick out the government of the day every four years. I think the British sense of humour serves the people well. We couldn't take seriously any potential dictator in government who tries to take liberties with the freedoms we wish to retain. We'd have to nuke 'em from orbit. It would be the only way to be sure!

Quote:
The simple solution would have been to introduce 20 year+ sentencing for carrying RIFs in public.
That would cost money they don't have, or at least don't want to spend. Personally, I think the money should be found for more prisons and longer sentences dished out. You never hear of people complaining that sentences nowadays are too harsh where as.....
Old 02-05-2007, 02:13 AM   #9
Eagle
Commander Ret.

'Tis true...
Old 02-05-2007, 06:39 AM   #10
w8cmp
Science Officer

We need a handy island to turn in to one big prison so we can just chuck them all over there and throw away the key...

Any contenders...?

Old 02-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #11
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Err...its been tried before, doesn't work....Transportation and all. What you really need is a huge back yard or conquer other people's back yards, but again, that's old hat and didn't work either.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:13 AM   #12
Liberator
Eagle Pilot

Yeah, like Tony42 said, its been tried B4, Australia anyone?
Liberator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:32 AM   #13
doon
Communications Officer

Quote:
We couldn't take seriously any potential dictator in government who tries to take liberties with the freedoms we wish to retain.
I used to feel that way about the U.S. I live in a state that will make or ignore any law, dependin on how much they can make off of it. Then they'll say it is for the "Children" and every joe sixpack and soccer mom buys it Proven time and time again, cities and states where common citizens can carry, lower crime rates across the board!
What good is makin replicas illegal, any numbskull can through together a piece o crap that will look real enough, hell, how many people have been shot for pullin out a wallet that someone thought was a gun!!!
OK, steppin down from the soapbox
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:36 AM   #14
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Never underestimate the stupidity of some members of the public. Just when you think something is idiot proof, they invent a better idiot.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #15
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Too true. We actually have to fight to protect the freedom of our societies because there will always be "better idiots" who will give them away over our heads...especially if they can make a buck out of it.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #16
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Airsofting and replica weapons, be it guns, swords etc, a legislation issue that has been badly thought out, badly handled and completely botched by the goverment here in the UK, just another knee jerk reaction to a percieved problem just to be PC.

I am not saying that there was not room for tightening up and better control in the UK, but why do something properly and well thought out when you can do it badly and just appease a tinly vocal minority and completely *uck over the vast majority of responsible and sensible airsoft enthusiasts and replica weapon collectors.

I have a small collection of replica movie prop swords, however I could do far more fatal damage and do a better job of carving someone up with the knives we have in the kitchen that are freely and readily available from any high street shop then I ever could with my replica weapons if I felt so inclined but I do not see those being restricted.

PC gone mad again in the UK. Mind you DX sumed it up nicley in his last reply......
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #17
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8cmp
We need a handy island to turn in to one big prison so we can just chuck them all over there and throw away the key...

Any contenders...?
I was wondering how long it would take our Aussie contingent to speak up! And as far as another historically used island, how about Alcatraz?
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #18
w8cmp
Science Officer

Probably not big enough for today's needs...
Old 02-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #19
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I wonder whether the.... moon ...would be any good............... (we could put the waste there as well....
Old 02-05-2007, 01:28 PM   #20
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42
I wonder whether the.... moon ...would be any good............... (we could put the waste there as well....
Nuclear material + Bunch of gun crazies ? May be not such a great plan ?
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote