Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Observatory > Gerry Anderson Related Ebay Auctions > Anderson Collectables

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 12-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
TVC21
Life Support Officer

Default Pedigree Scarlet doll

Finally something really rare at a reasonable price!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53...mtid=824&kw=lg

Last edited by Captain Sci-Fi; 13-08-2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Added an Image
TVC21 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
mike s
Communications Officer

cheap compared to the hilarious 2500 that people are trying to flog boxed ones for, but still insane for what is basically an old action man
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
mrpsychopath
Communications Officer

thats a great price for one so nearly complete.
mrpsychopath is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
mike s
Communications Officer

I think the prices on a lot of Anderson items have got a bit silly to be honest - I'm sure if there were no credit cards then the prices would be way lower

huge prices takes all the fun out of collecting for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpsychopath View Post
thats a great price for one so nearly complete.
Old 13-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
TVC21
Life Support Officer

You honestly can`t say that`s expensive for something so old lovely and rare. People pay twice that for crappy 1612 stuff....why not have something with far more rarity and charm?

Old 15-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
mike s
Communications Officer

ok well here's my thoughts

1 - er, I don't like the doll - for me it has none of the charm of the original puppet

2 - the mint ones are going up for 2.5k - the original Ron Embleton artworks for the end credits went for around 3k each I think - is a mass-produced quite inaccurate doll really as valuable as those original paintings..?
Old 15-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
TVC21
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s View Post
ok well here's my thoughts

1 - er, I don't like the doll - for me it has none of the charm of the original puppet

2 - the mint ones are going up for 2.5k - the original Ron Embleton artworks for the end credits went for around 3k each I think - is a mass-produced quite inaccurate doll really as valuable as those original paintings..?
Beauty is in the proverbial eye.... I would have killed for one of these as a kid, when I got one thirty years later it was one of the best days. To me, no other piece of merchandise captures the heart of 60`s Scarlet as well of this, clearly others paying 2.5k agree, but if you don`t get it, you don`t get it. Perhaps its a 60`s kid thing. Are you a boomer or a more recent arrival??
Old 16-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
mike s
Communications Officer

oh yeh fair point of course - its very personal and if you like it, it doesn't matter what I think

I was a 70s kid so I never even saw one of these until the late 80s so it has no nostalgia value for me

my point is that I think its crackers that they should sell for the same money as original on-screen artwork - I also think its a fair point that people will go into debt to pick one up at that price ie use their credit cards

how do you feel about the big prices being asked for gear Chris..? I think its a shame as it means I can't get stuff I would like - I understand supply and demand but I personally feel that Anderson merchandise is put on at a premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris King View Post
Beauty is in the proverbial eye.... I would have killed for one of these as a kid, when I got one thirty years later it was one of the best days. To me, no other piece of merchandise captures the heart of 60`s Scarlet as well of this, clearly others paying 2.5k agree, but if you don`t get it, you don`t get it. Perhaps its a 60`s kid thing. Are you a boomer or a more recent arrival??

Last edited by mike s; 16-08-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: more chat
Old 16-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

A vintage toy needs to be priced and appraised for what it is. A 1960s toy! There is no point for example comparing a Century 21 Zero X toy to the current Aoshima die-cast. The 1960s one is a 'silly old plastic thing with lights' as opposed to the current high end precision created collectible recently discussed here but the modern toy will never hold the appeal to collectors that the Century 21 did if you were a kid in the 1960s and also if you are looking to get an item which will appreciate in value (Although values mean nothing to me it is the love of it). Similarly a toy of any sort should'nt be compared to an original screen used item as they are very different. The amount of times people have said to me "How much did you pay for that?? You could have bought a car/motorbike/holiday in Florida..." or whatever but what really needs to be considered is the price of the item in comparison to another similar toy of the period. Compare this Pedigree doll to say a Gilbert 007 doll or a Fairylite THUNDERBIRDS doll, an original 1964 GI JOE or 1966 ACTION MAN. Those are the yardsticks in terms of value and availability really. Chris is like me, a kid born in the early 1960s who watched CAPTAIN SCARLET at the time and for whom this particular doll holds an almost mythic status. His assesment of 250 for a decent condition loose example being a good price is bang on the money. I am saying this as a bloke who like Chris has been serious about collecting this stuff for close to 30 years and who now owns a mint boxed example that I cherish dearly. Talking of the Embleton art comparison I know for a fact that one of the purchasers at the auction when these beautiful pieces were sold off paid something in the region of 3000 for one. A month later to off-set the price he sold a stunning boxed Pedigree doll on eBay for 2000. Of course now a piece of Embleton art would fetch far greater and perhaps 5000+ so again it is hard to compare prices of things sold 5 or 6 years apart. As a bloke now of 46 who began to seriously recollect things I had as a kid at age 18 I can't remember anytime when prices weren't 'silly' for this stuff. If I am being objective I think prices now in many areas are actually slightly better than say ten years back. This was when the shows were being screened again and DVDs were just hitting and a whole horde of newbie fans and experts hit the collecting scene so of course prices sky rocketed.

Last edited by Jim Lewis; 16-08-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
mike s
Communications Officer

all fair points Jim

saying that I'm not sure I agree about prices - I reckon prices have about trebled since 1997 or so..? mint JR21 SPC now about 450 - 500, back then about 170 just to give one example

Old 16-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

There is a decent boxed Century 21 SPC on eBay as we speak. It's been going round and round for a year probably. 175 decent enough looking and worth the money for those who want one. I think the bottom line is that if you really love and want this stuff you pay the money simple as that. No point in moaning about prices. These things aren't, and never have been, given away. I would love to have a discovery or find an old shop with stock from the 1960s but that is fantasy land I'm afraid. The Pedigree doll along with say the Dekker Lady Penelope playsuit, Fairlylite Fireball, Plaston Supercar, Joe 90 briefcase were all toys made in some volume but not like the Dinky Toys or even the Rosenthals hence the premium price they enjoy when decent examples come up for sale. All of which are going to be sold at a cost of something from 500 up depending on condition. These certain Anderson toys were always the 'ones to have' in collecting terms and will continue to do be so. Same as certain Mini-Albums. How many 'Introducing Thunderbirds' or 'Into Action With Troy Tempest' do we see. Hundreds and maybe you can get away with picking one up for a tenner. Not so for 'One Move And Your Dead' or 'Thirty Minutes After noon'.

Last edited by Jim Lewis; 16-08-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 16-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
mike s
Communications Officer

hi Jim

yeh I've seen the SPC - the trouble is its not complete - or doesn't appear to be complete

it appears to be missing the inner card support and also the instructions

I think it would have been snapped up ages ago if it was all there..?

a complete mint one is nearer 450+ these days I think

I had a mint one but had to sell when I was broke along with a few other items - big big mistake, oh well we live and learn

edit: this will make you chuckle - when I was at fanderson '82 there were 2 loose but mint JR21 SPCs on display - one was 14 and the other was 17! lol I remember this very distinctly - at the time 14 was way over my budget! I think the cost of the con was 16..?

Last edited by mike s; 16-08-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: another thought
Old 16-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

It is missing the upper card support, the instruction sheet and it wouldn't hurt for the seller to show exactly what 'luggage' was there but for the rpice it ain't half bad. Old time prices do make you shudder. My own SPC is pretty much minty with everything it should have. Cost 25 years back 20. That doesn't mean I expect them to cost the same now of course but you have to weigh it all up and at the time 20 was a lot of money to me. Those were the day!
Old 16-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #14
mike s
Communications Officer

here you go Jim - an online calculation of what you paid compared to what it would be now - it only went up to 2008

I remember my mate getting a mint boxed Dinky SPV around 1984 for 25 too

__________________________________________________ __________

Purchasing Power of British Pounds from 1264 to Present

In 2008, 20.00 from 1985 is worth
45.40 using the retail price index.
64.50 using average earnings.

If you need help determining which result is most appropriate for you, see Choosing the Best Indicator to Measure Relative Worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lewis View Post
It is missing the upper card support, the instruction sheet and it wouldn't hurt for the seller to show exactly what 'luggage' was there but for the rpice it ain't half bad. Old time prices do make you shudder. My own SPC is pretty much minty with everything it should have. Cost 25 years back 20. That doesn't mean I expect them to cost the same now of course but you have to weigh it all up and at the time 20 was a lot of money to me. Those were the day!
Old 19-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

I will have to side with Mike on this one. I never really liked the look of the Pedigree doll and i always thought the art work on the box was better than the actual doll!
At least 250 is more reasonable, now if anyone is selling an empty box, that i would buy to display.
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

I think some are misinterpreting the thrust of Chris' post. His post was not one of appraisal of an old toy. It was to alert members here as to the current availability of a rarely seen toy at a reasonable price. It is fair to say it is a rarely seen toy. It is also fair to say that given some of the prices this doll has been seen to go for over the last ten years at least, this price is a good one. Whether the doll is 'any good' wasn't the point of the thread. The same kind of comments could be levelled at an old Airfix kit from the 1960s or a Dinky Toy or even, dare I say it, a screen used prop. It really isn't to do with it being a matter of opinion as to whether this doll is good or not but more a case of is it rarely seen and is the price good. Bottom line is that whoever sold it doesn't give a monkeys because a very happy buyer seemed to snap it up pretty quick. Perhaps a new thread could begin with a few guys here posting their favourite items from their own collections and seeing what others think of them in terms of construction, likeness to the on screen vehicle/character they are meant to represent or whatever. I'd be up for that. Who wants to start the thread!
Old 19-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #17
TVC21
Life Support Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lewis View Post
I think some are misinterpreting the thrust of Chris' post. His post was not one of appraisal of an old toy. It was to alert members here as to the current availability of a rarely seen toy at a reasonable price. It is fair to say it is a rarely seen toy. It is also fair to say that given some of the prices this doll has been seen to go for over the last ten years at least, this price is a good one. Whether the doll is 'any good' wasn't the point of the thread. The same kind of comments could be levelled at an old Airfix kit from the 1960s or a Dinky Toy or even, dare I say it, a screen used prop. It really isn't to do with it being a matter of opinion as to whether this doll is good or not but more a case of is it rarely seen and is the price good. Bottom line is that whoever sold it doesn't give a monkeys because a very happy buyer seemed to snap it up pretty quick. Perhaps a new thread could begin with a few guys here posting their favourite items from their own collections and seeing what others think of them in terms of construction, likeness to the on screen vehicle/character they are meant to represent or whatever. I'd be up for that. Who wants to start the thread!
Bang on Jim, although I have to say that IMO it is beautiful. As you say, as a kid in the 60`s this had mythical status, despite what was suggested earlier in the thread these were rare and had limited availability even in 1968. As a piece of toy merchandising from the late 60`s this stands out as one of the best executed and most charming. If you don`t get it, buy a Vivid doll off ebay for a fiver!!

Jim, I`ve started a few other threads on merchandise but there seems ltd interest. There`s one on the Mego 1999 dolls if you want to be the first to respond! Please don`t tell me they`re rubbish `cos the suits are white etc etc though!!

Last edited by TVC21; 19-08-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: dditional info
Old 19-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #18
MikeMercury
Astrophysics Technician

Three cheers to the both you! (Jim and Chris)

I personally think you can't beat the original merchandise for fun, memories and well...sheer design! Yes the modern 'collectables' knock socks of them for authenticity but they lack the 'Christmas morning' excitement of the originals and well, the whole period feel which captures the essence of the Anderson series for me (as much as I love the accurate kits, toys and merch).

Now, to get a decent camera and start a thread about my personal faves, the original 'cheap knock offs'... (Molto friction drive 3 piece set, Guardians del Espacio...)
MikeMercury is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #19
mike s
Communications Officer

fair play guys if you like it - my real point is I think 2.5 k is nuts money - Metropolis toys currently have 2 mint boxed ones for under a grand each - I think a grand is still a lot of money but a wee bit more realistic

its all so personal - I like stuff which has a strong flavour of the original ie I like the Century21 Scarlet range of plastic guns - they have logos and badges on them that weren't on the original but the basic shape is quite accurate

I too prefer the Scarlet box to the doll but thats just me - I don't know what my favourite piece of merchandise is...

...hmmm - the C21 Macs Car is really cool, the Lone Star Stingray models, the C21 SPC and SPV for starters...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: