Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Control Room

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 05-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #21
Dave
Communications Officer

SHADO moonbase when filmed from above always looked toy like.

That wobbly mobile camera thing in Thunderbirds (Edge of Impact) always makes me smile.

Camp fires. A bit like water - always ruins the scale of the situation.
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #22
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

That toy Thunderbird 2 seen from above in Attack of the Alligators!.

The three quarters on shot of Fireflash taking off. Even as a child it made me cringe.
Masterspy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #23
Robbie Moubert
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Price View Post
Also, the Lost in Space shuttle bus. There is no way can that thing get into the Jupiter II - impossible! I mean, what does the Spaced-Out Robinson family do? Flatpack it?
IIRC in episode three Don does say something about having to "assemble the Chariot."
Robbie Moubert is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #24
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

The one that gets me is the wobbly flying saucers in 'Attack on Cloudbase'
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #25
DARKVIEW
Forum Supporter

if we talking rubbish models and effects . . . Dr Poo, Blake's 7, general BBC stuff of the 70s,80s etc nuff said

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #26
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Quote:
Also, TB2 takes ENORMOUS thrust and power to take off from Tracy Island. But after leaving an assignment somewhere far away, just takes off easy and light as a feather!
I suppose you could argue that, that is similar to Sea Harriers taking off from a ramp on the ship but are equally capable of VTOL.

I wouldn't term it a bad special effect either way though.

Probably the worst special effects were those with water or fire which can't be scaled down.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #27
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post

Probably the worst special effects were those with water or fire which can't be scaled down.

Keith
Which clearly isn't true, as their water and fire effects are so often a million miles ahead of their god-awful car effects. Did they ever do a single shot of a car that looked anything near real?

I'd also like to nominate plasticine people - they almost never work and look utterly ludicrous. The worst case seems to be in City of Fire when the husband and wife and lethally thrown out of their car, only to be seen sitting inside it one second later in the puppet shot.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #28
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKVIEW View Post
if we talking rubbish models and effects . . . Dr Poo, Blake's 7, general BBC stuff of the 70s,80s etc nuff said
We're not though - we're talking C21 / general Anderson at a push.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #29
Name changed by request
Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterspy View Post
Yeah. I am always amazed that they cared so little about consistency across models.

Operation Crash-Dive always puzzles me - Thunderbird 2 is initially seen to be roughly the same size as Fireflash, then later is smaller than one of its wings.
Also, Thunderbird 4 was sometimes weathered with dirt but when it dived into the sea the sea salt surely would rub-off? Not at all!

I suppose that is the charm of the series!
Name changed by request is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #30
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Quote:
Which clearly isn't true, as their water and fire effects are so often a million miles ahead of their god-awful
Well, I was really meaning often the water droplets look out of scale and as explosions ripple across the water the water goes out of focus near the camera. I didn't mean EVERY water effect. Equally some flames (not explosions), look too large.

Everything is relative and I would agree they probably look better than the car shots, but that doesn't mean they are great. But there are physical limits what you can do with both of these mediums at the scale they were operating at (that's why large scale productions use gigantic models to get round these problems) and are no reflection of the special effects guys.

Keith

Old 05-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #31
Masterspy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
Well, I was really meaning often the water droplets look out of scale and as explosions ripple across the water the water goes out of focus near the camera. I didn't mean EVERY water effect. Equally some flames (not explosions), look too large.

Everything is relative and I would agree they probably look better than the car shots, but that doesn't mean they are great. But there are physical limits what you can do with both of these mediums at the scale they were operating at (that's why large scale productions use gigantic models to get round these problems) and are no reflection of the special effects guys.

Keith

I'm aware of the limitations about fire and water (I have just written a book on this ). I just felt it was an exaggeration to label these their worst effects, when clearly, there was a lot, lot worse . Anyway - no offence meant! Sorry!
Old 05-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #32
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

No problem. I'm looking forward to your book!

Keith
Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #33
MikeMercury
Astrophysics Technician

I always cringe when I see the close up of Stingray when it launches the sea jet lolly in the Lyons maid advert... (which I presume was made by the C21 team).
MikeMercury is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:21 AM   #34
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Well, for Space:1999 the episode "The Lambda Factor" certainly takes the cake for bad FX. Where did Brian Johnson get off to that week??
As for the cardboard Eagle, we tried to duplicate that bad effect for laughs in UFO:1999,and hopefully make it a lot worse. (Yes we had issues...sometime we'd work for weeks preparing for an FX segment we wanted to look nice, and then would throw in something goofy.) While the launch pad was set up and crew was busy filming, I ran upstairs and ran off a photo of a Rescue Eagle on my exceptionally crappy Lexmark 1/2. We cut it out, Kyle "blew it up" Digitally, and it came out looking better than that shot! Ugh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinggodzillak View Post
That bloody cardboard Eagle in War Games. It blows up real good, but what tripe-for-brains decided to shoot it at an angle?

I prefer to think of this as some elaborate plan of Koenig's to trick the aliens into destroying fake Eagles rather than real ones...

My main problem with the various models of the Thunderbirds is that the 3 on Thunderbird 3 rotates to stay level with camera no matter what way the thing's heading. Some of the one-off Thunderbird 2 pod vehicles looked like Brains had hastily stuck them together during the flight to the danger zone, and like they were about to topple over whenever they moved...

The Moon in UFO looks nothing like the real Moon. Okay, this was 1969, so I can forgive that...but I don't understand why the Earth in UFO looks nothing like the real Earth either. Didn't we have any decent pictures of it by then?

Demeter City in Space Precinct seemed to suddenly look fake whenever a real model was flying through it...

Another problem common to all the series (but especially Space:1999) is space explosions occuring a few inches off the model thats being destroyed, or the entire model suddenly being replaced with a tiny explosion, like so:

Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:45 AM   #35
Doomsday
Communications Officer

I always hated Zantor's(?) ship.
Well, I mean Christopher Lee's blue ship.
Sorry, just looked crap to me.
Unconvincing model/design.
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2009, 01:16 AM   #36
brucewoollatt
Hydroponics Technician

Water dripping from "Queller Drive" in "voyager's Return".
brucewoollatt is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #37
mack29
Astrophysics Technician

Award for worst SF related special effects of all time has got to go to the 1979 production of The Martian Chronicles. A fantastic book and quite a good adaptation by Richard Matheson, but the model effects make Blake's 7 look like Star Wars.

The absolute low point comes mid way throught the second episode where we see Martian Sand Ships racing along the surface of the planet that look like a reject from Michael Bentine's Potty Time.
mack29 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #38
StrakersWig
Life Support Technician

Martian Chronicles! I forgot about that, good nomination. The model effects throughout were bad but the sandships sequence left me agog at its embarrasing awfulness.
StrakersWig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #39
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
I always hated Zantor's(?) ship.
Well, I mean Christopher Lee's blue ship.
Sorry, just looked crap to me.
Unconvincing model/design.
I agree. I think the idea behind the design was an attempt to make it look as unconventional as possible. In space anything goes I guess, even a giant blue door knob with feet on it! I wonder what inspired it's design?
29390 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #40
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack29 View Post
Award for worst SF related special effects of all time has got to go to the 1979 production of The Martian Chronicles. A fantastic book and quite a good adaptation by Richard Matheson, but the model effects make Blake's 7 look like Star Wars.

The absolute low point comes mid way throught the second episode where we see Martian Sand Ships racing along the surface of the planet that look like a reject from Michael Bentine's Potty Time.
29390 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote