Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Aliens

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
skiffy
Communications Officer

Default 1:18 scale APC playset

Ever since the halcyon APC came out, and I tried in vain to scratchbuild an interior, I've been wrestling with the idea of trying to fit the inside into the outside - which everyone knows is impossible in real terms.

Even so, it struck me that it might be possible to do something like the old Mattell Eagle Transporter toys, which are off scale but can still look pretty darn cool, complete with interiors, with skillful customising.

my inspiration has come from several sources including Raytheon's amazing 1/16th scale APC with full interior, Darren's 50 inch scratchbuilt Eagle, and all the brilliant Mattell Eagle conversions seen on these pages.

I've been working out how one might fit in all the gear we see in the interior set, without making the outside monstrously over-sized. It's a tricky compromise, but I think I've got pretty close. Having a few 1:18 scale figures to hand has helped while I block out the main shapes in card. I know there are aliens figures available at this scale but the eBay prices are just silly.

The wheel arches have been slimmed down considerably to make the interior bigger, and I have a cunning plan which should still allow the wheels to turn.

I don't know how far I'll take this past the card mock-up stage, but it will be fun to see how close I can get to the live action set, certainly as far as the larger fittings goes. I know I can get all Gorman's display screens in there, plus his chair, and get all the characters sat where they're supposed to be. Of course there's no room for an engine, but hey, this is a playset, right?

You can see the seating arrangement in the back there and the overall scale of the APC.

Another view showing the rough dimensions.

I should be able to get everyone sat in here - with room for Hudson to walk about.

View of the main doorway from outside.

skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Transporter
Life Support Officer

Hey Skiffy! How funny, that we are working on somewhat similar projects without talking to each other for some time. I am working on a 1/24 scale Ultra Probe interior and until now managed quite well to fit the design of the life-size set into the 1/24 scale UP CM (DITS). As soon as I have pics, I will open a new thread. Please go on with your great work!
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Gonna be a cool play set Skiffy mate..
Looks to be off to a good start too.
Look forward to more updates sir.
Regards Andy...
wappynutter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Awesome idea! This is something that should have been merchandised when the film was released in 1986.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
skiffy
Communications Officer

Hi Transporter - Thanks for the kind words. Weird coincidence indeed! I look forward to seeing your Ultra Probe interior build.

Wappynutter - Thanks Andy! I'm keen to make more progress as soon as poss.

Steve Gerard - I totally agree. There are multiple lego builds available and a handful of Halcyon kit customs around the net, but nothing at or near this scale apart from Raytheon's 1:16 scratchbuild.

It'll be cool to recreate some scenes from the film once I've got the basic layout done. I may adapt some of my 1:18 figures to look more like Colonial Marines, but that's a whole other project.

Old 28-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
skiffy
Communications Officer

A little more progress this morning.

From left to right - there's Ripley and Burke sat by the door, then room for our squad of 8 marines, then Gorman sat on a temporary bench, where he can see all 12 video screens on his display. That bench actually goes at bottom left of camera, and provides another two seats. Then there'll be Apone's seat behind the driver (where Newt hides for safety while Ripley is driving).

The walls look tall here, but they will slope inward towards the top, and there'll be a lot of stowed gear and equipment mounted on the ceiling.

Basically the size of the whole interior was governed by how I could get those 8 marines sat facing each-other in two rows of four - inside the width of the wheel wells.

Right then, squad. You heard the man and you know the drill - a$$holes and elbows!
Old 16-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #7
skiffy
Communications Officer

I completely forgot about this when it got packed away following a workshop re-structure (as you do). I've just now got it out again and after four years it still has my interest. Hiya Toys have released something similar last year but it couldn't fit 8 marines in the back - not that I could see anyway.

How many drops is this for you Lieutenant?

Old 18-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #8
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Wow, that is some diligence and thinking. Hat's off to you.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #9
skiffy
Communications Officer

Thanks Ham!

I spent a couple of hours building a scaled pulse rifle in 3d and printing it out. I tried a couple of available models online but they weren't suitable for printing.

The print is in two halves which get glued together - just like a regular model kit.

I threw a little paint on it - just any old primer color - to show the detail/scale with a scalpel blade.

Yeah - it's a little rough but it'll do the job for now. I'll do a more detailed one later.
Old 21-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #10
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

It has even got all the holes in!
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
skiffy
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
It has even got all the holes in!
Indeed! Though the glue and paint have gummed them up in this first prototype.

I've made a little more progress. I've worked out the angles for the front plates.

My APC is a little taller (in proportion) than the regular shape - about 10% - which helps allow the figures to stand inside it. That's made the working out a little more fiddly but it's done now.

Old 22-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #12
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Nice to see this project on the go again! Looks fab.
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Tags
1/18 scale, 1:18 scale, aliens, apc, playset