Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #41
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

Default Chaps he sold it

This is the completed listings page on ebay

Green writing means a sale
Red writing a non sale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (82.0 KB, 87 views)
andersonitis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:32 AM   #42
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiAssassin View Post
Ten grand? Martin Bower only charged six thousand to build one last time I checked.
I wonder how much unpainted?
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #43
darren451
Waste Technician

Is this the same model up for sale again?

ebay UK link

Currently at 4100 with five days to go.

Also a smaller Martin Bower built Liberator is listed

Martin Bower Liberator
darren451 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #44
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

The fella who listed this a while back lives in Southampton & this fellas from Norwich

I have asked him (Southampton man)
Old 17-03-2015, 08:55 PM   #45
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Ah yes, the eBay auction for the large Liberator model is "that one", so here we go again!!

No, despite what the seller says, it isn't the original screen-used Liberator model. At best it is a replica made by Martin Bower that contains a few pieces off the original model. Mat Irvine owns the mostly-complete original Liberator model (a few bits are missing from Mat's, I wonder where they are? ).

The seller lives in/near Southampton, like the person from whom he bought it. If he's who I think he is, he also has a replica Liberator, measurements taken off the "Bower Liberator"! Hmmm ...

Another funny thing - an eBay member with zero feedback has put multiple bids on it, doubling its price to just over 4000!! Hmmm ...

To quote from Martin Bower's own website - "Make of this what you will."

I know that Martin Bower has made a few replicas of the smaller size Liberator model for people, I've seen them here and there over the years. At least the seller of THIS Liberator isn't trying to claim it's screen-used!!

Last edited by Exterminator; 17-03-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 18-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #46
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

I must admit I've examined both Southamptons mans and Mat's.
One thing I will say is Southhampton mans, is it is very, very heavy, is bent and twisted in all the right places, has the Stage Mount in exactly the right places (ref: Duel) and the detail is spot on!
I did a small repair on it a couple of years ago. If it's a fake? Then it's a very good one (it even has a Photoflash bulb in the reactor) and I wouldn't want to call either way.

Mat's is very light and covered in crud, it's obviously as shot for 'Terminal'. So that it's a screen seen miniature in not in question, but it lacks the heaviness that everyone knows the original Miniature had.
We know Mat's was disassembled to make the Comet Kit, so maybe the armature went walk about then? Again I wouldn't want to call either way.

Martins made loads of 22" Liberators over the years (I've repaired a couple of them because the Letraline kept lifting and the pylons were cracked!).
The original 22" is long gone, but will be obvious if it does surface as the detail is very, very crude and the proportions are way out against the 3fter.

To be honest: I'm getting a little tired of this who's got the original Liberator story. Seeing that Stage images are few and far between I don't think anyone is going to settle the argument either way.
What do they say (Pick a Side?), not me I'm just glad something survived.
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #47
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

Its a very good argument that I love hearing again & again but your reasoning is the best I have heard.
I know people who say Matts is the original & you have just blown that theory out of the water.
Old 18-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #48
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

I 've seen Matt's Liberator a few times at the Small Space shows and as said here before its definitely screen used as it has the 'crud' all over it, and is in quite a state.
There is probably truth in both camps and at the end of the day does it really matter.
I was visiting BBC VFX in 1979 and the large Liberator was in a corner with a melted rear globe, unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me even if one was allowed.
I wouldn't mind having either model up for sale but there's little chance of that happening.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 10:55 PM   #49
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

The 'crud' could easily be faked on Mat's model and could be helping to hide replica parts -however Martin has often shown a photo of the original Liberator lying in pieces on the studio floor after the final explosion effect, and the various minor paint details and damage marks on the central hull still match perfectly to the Mat Liberator, including the wider section mentioned above where the mounting point is. Couple that with the knowledge that Mat's has an original engine ball (several were made) and Martins is always shown to be a reproduction, this makes me believe that Mat definately has an original main central hull in his possession. To my mind the only question is regarding the three support arms and weapon pods.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 11:39 PM   #50
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

As of now it's 8101.92!!

HH - is it possible that some/all of the internals were removed prior to blowing it up, perhaps to weaken it? That would of course be on the presumption that there was something that could be removed ...

Old 19-03-2015, 02:17 AM   #51
clanger68
Computer Technician

Some photos showing Liberator on its travels, letters in red showing the obvious parts that have stayed constant.

Martin says that Liberator made of wood, not fibreglass?

Simon Atkinson says wood formersand fibreglass castings. "This model was constructed from fibreglass moulds cast from Jellutong turned masters."

http://www.satkinsoncreativearts.com/modelmaking

One question always puzzles me, why on earth would Mat Irvine make a replica of the Liberator, and in such a bashed up state?

He never sells any of his props as far as I'm aware, and it seems like a heck of a lot of effort to do, and if you were going to make a replica you thought you'd make it nicer!

Cheers,

Andy
clanger68 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #52
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

If Simon is correct?

There could have been 2 large models, one which was commissoned for the series and a second, maybe commissioned for Promotional reasons by the BBC?

Or...

There was a second miniature comissioned from moulds for 'Terminal'?
Therefore leaving the original intact should the BBC need to use it again?

Who knows - only the BBC guys who worked on 'Terminal' (Mat only worked on season's 1 & 2)?

Either way that would mean that we have 2 large hero versions seen on screen and 2 smaller versions, also seen on screen.

Again as has been stated in Trek circles: which is the real Enterprise D?
The 6ft, 4ft of 2 ft verisons?
Answer: All three!
The real Enterprise is the one on the screen (Mike Okuda).
Old 22-03-2015, 08:07 PM   #53
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Well the big one has finished on ebay, when I looked last night it was over 9000 but when I look today it went for 2500 ???
All seems a bit fishy to me...

Andy H
MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #54
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectors House View Post
There could have been 2 large models, one which was commissoned for the series and a second, maybe commissioned for Promotional reasons by the BBC?
Or...
There was a second miniature comissioned from moulds for 'Terminal'?
Therefore leaving the original intact should the BBC need to use it again?

Who knows - only the BBC guys who worked on 'Terminal' (Mat only worked on season's 1 & 2)?
Either way that would mean that we have 2 large hero versions seen on screen and 2 smaller versions, also seen on screen.
I don't know what you mean by 'could have been' and 'who knows' ...... I think we fans certainly would, in just the same way that we know how many Eagle models were built for Space:1999!

We are not talking about something that happened hundreds of years ago and was not properly documented, we are talking about a television show filmed just 30-odd years ago. During which, and since, there have been countless articles about its making in many many magazines, books, fanzines, conventions, public talks and even videos - with the effects designers on all four series being interviewed at length. At no time have I ever heard of a second large Liberator or seen a behind-the-scenes photo of one. However if you know of such a photo or article please show us a link as I'm sure we would all be interested to see it..
The BBC made Blake's 7 on a shoe-string budget and any half-decent model built for the series was talked about, photographed, and recorded. Certainly a second big Liberator would have been major news.

As for this ebay sale several bidders appeared to have dropped out since yesterday, including the zero-feedback bidder who was pushing up the price. The sale now seems to have been pulled with an alledged private sale, so either the previous high bidder contacted him direct to buy it - or the seller just pulled it because the latest sale bid was so low. Be interesting to see where it turns up next.

Old 22-03-2015, 10:35 PM   #55
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

... and completely unsurprisingly, the auction was killed by the seller an hour before the end.

I don't expect this will be the last time we'll see it.

Old 23-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #56
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
I don't know what you mean by 'could have been' and 'who knows' ...... I think we fans certainly would, in just the same way that we know how many Eagle models were built for Space:1999!

We are not talking about something that happened hundreds of years ago and was not properly documented, we are talking about a television show filmed just 30-odd years ago. During which, and since, there have been countless articles about its making in many many magazines, books, fanzines, conventions, public talks and even videos - with the effects designers on all four series being interviewed at length. At no time have I ever heard of a second large Liberator or seen a behind-the-scenes photo of one. However if you know of such a photo or article please show us a link as I'm sure we would all be interested to see it..
The BBC made Blake's 7 on a shoe-string budget and any half-decent model built for the series was talked about, photographed, and recorded. Certainly a second big Liberator would have been major news.

As for this ebay sale several bidders appeared to have dropped out since yesterday, including the zero-feedback bidder who was pushing up the price. The sale now seems to have been pulled with an alledged private sale, so either the previous high bidder contacted him direct to buy it - or the seller just pulled it because the latest sale bid was so low. Be interesting to see where it turns up next.
Ref: the 2001 Aires miniature for sale that now looks as if it is an original, sort of makes my point for me?
Old 24-03-2015, 12:53 AM   #57
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Lets see what happens next...
Honestly its so obvious to all that know the real story...
There was only one large Liberator made. !!!
Yes the engine was remade, several times.

Andy H
MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #58
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

And for sale again.... Buy it now for just 33,000 plus 75 postage
This model must now hold the record for most often put on sale.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blakes-Sev...#ht_720wt_1198

Old 27-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #59
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

I think it must, David!

Let's go halves on it.
Old 27-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #60
clanger68
Computer Technician

...and I thought it was sold!

It must be made of rubber, it just keeps bouncing back!

IMO, a little thoughtless with the paperwork photo, lots of personal details, addresses, etc, that may have not been wanted to be revealed.
clanger68 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote