Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 04-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #21
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

More progress - I've now got a clean set of moulds for the back of the chair. I had to remove a lot of the plug to get everything separated - three weeks' work of building, gluing, refining and smoothing all gone in a couple of hours. Ah well, that's the way it goes, and like I said, I WAS expecting it.

The most important thing is that I've now got a nice mould for the chair back. The edges around the front are super-sharp, just what I want. It's a bit exciting, looking at the mould, I can now "see" the chair for the first time.

I can move on to the next stage now, just as soon as I've cleared up the mess and ordered some plastazote foam!

More soon!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5876.JPG (111.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5878.JPG (193.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5879.JPG (193.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5881.JPG (187.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5883.JPG (106.2 KB, 22 views)
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:54 AM   #22
Lrl
Astrophysics Technician

Ham, how about a few pics of all you have collected to date, you've been at this for years now.

Exterminator, sigh, you're off again, you could make miniatures, but no.

Mad the pair of you

salutes with a hint of a tear in his eye, the band strikes up with the b7 theme, the ranks of lesser nutters, salute as they slowly march by, and they will march forever.....
Lrl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #23
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Looking great Phil so far.
Will one be ready for Mat's doo.

Andy H
MoonbaseAlpha is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #24
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

Id love a seat for my workroom - in a perfect world i'd like to see a "flight deck" done in similar vein to the U.S.S. Rikers Beard display. Phil maybe we can work on that?
T.F.U. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:16 PM   #25
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterminator View Post
I can move on to the next stage now, just as soon as I've cleared up the mess and ordered some plastazote foam!

More soon!!
What's plastazote foam?

That's a full rubber mould? Must have been expensive, I'll have to chuck in a bit extra to help finance it.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 05-06-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #26
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Thanks for the kind words, all!

Ham, plastazote is a dense foam made from polyethylene. If you've ever had a mouse mat that's material stuck on to firm black foam, that's plastazote (link to manufacturer's website here). The greatest thing about it is that it's not affected by fibreglass matting resin, so you can brush it on, it will sink in a bit and after it has cured, the surface will be solid. This is what I will be doing, I need something of uniform thickness to create the "walls" of the chair, many times easier than trying to use something like clay or whatever. I should be getting some next week (I'm going for 12mm thick with self-adhesive backing), and I've also requested some foam samples for the circular pads on the chair's back.

I've been doing some more research into the Liberator flight deck chairs. Something I'd not noticed before is that the actual seat has a shaped part that actually sticks out slightly. like a bike saddle. I've included some screencaps, and you can see what I mean (circled in red). there's also this quote I found from the designer Roger Murray-Leach in "Blake's 7 The Inside Story" by Joe Nazzaro and Sheelagh Wells, which confirms my observation:

Quote:
The other concept was the way that people might sit or work at their station when they had a choice of how heavy they were in space. Rather than put everyone in chairs, I thought it might be fun if we gave them a completely different seating position, which we did. It was almost like a bicycle saddle with a back rest, that you straddled, which led to quite a few ribald comments, particularly from the female crew.
T.F.U., it looks like I'm becoming a sort of galactic furniture warehouse! Again, I don't see why not ... ooh, a Star Trek reference - did that ever catch on??!!

Andy, I don't think I'll have anything completed for Smallspace in July, but I will bring a pod shell along, if anyone wants a look ... !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat1.jpg (90.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg seat2.jpg (105.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg seat3.jpg (107.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg seat4.jpg (111.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg seat5.jpg (89.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg seat6.jpg (135.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #27
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

just liking the idea of photo's of the flight pod with a backdrop maybe
T.F.U. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #28
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

Phil I cant believe that you didn't know about the bike seat position on the chairs, it's been obvious to me for years.
Mik keeting said (jokingly) that it had given him prostate problems for years...

Andy H
Old 06-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #29
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

To be honest Andy, I'd never really looked that hard! Of course, I've seen the pointy top ends hundreds of times, but a glimpse of the actual seat part is pretty rare and fleeting. As I'm building a replica, I've been looking very hard at everything!
Old 07-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #30
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
To be honest Andy, I'd never really looked that hard! Of course, I've seen the pointy top ends hundreds of times, but a glimpse of the actual seat part is pretty rare and fleeting. As I'm building a replica, I've been looking very hard at everything!
I'm just surprised andy hasn't got one of the original ones, actually. Wonder what happened to them.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #31
MoonbaseAlpha
Chief Eagle Pilot

They got junked !!

I've got a whole set of reference photos taken by the Design team of the set during season 2, the interesting thing is that the back two control stations had no controls in at all, just a big gaping hole with a microphone in it. So Cally or Gan just pretended to see controls.
Unfortunately they on my other computer and I cant get them for a few weeks.

Andy H
Old 08-06-2015, 07:11 AM   #32
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Ooh, that sounds very interesting, Andy! I'm sure we would all love to see them, when you're next near your other computer.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:13 AM   #33
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonbaseAlpha View Post
They got junked !!
So, somewhere in a dump in England...the liberator sleeps I wonder if these things will ever be found again?
Old 09-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #34
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

I suppose in theory, yes. Somewhere on the outskirts of London, there's a (probably disused by now) landfill site containing hundreds of thousands of tons of rubbish, and somewhere in the middle of it all are the crushed remains of the Liberator flight deck, and probably other BBC productions too.

I know that a lot of generic scenic "flats" (for things like room interiors in sitcoms and dramas) were recycled (I recall seeing a photo somewhere), but I'd imagine all the special one-off items would be junked after use, no point in storing them.
Old 25-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #35
skororu
Alphan

Quote:
Ooh, that sounds very interesting, Andy! I'm sure we would all love to see them, when you're next near your other computer.
I'd certainly be very interested to see those if they're still in existence (I'm the random person from DeviantArt who produced the renders mentioned back on page 1).

After much searching, I think I found just a single good quality scanned photograph of the flight deck, with a few of the cast having a laugh on the flight deck couch between scenes, taken from the SR side.
skororu is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #36
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Phil, is that an Ice Warrior body cast I can see in the background of a few of your pictures ? Chair is coming on brilliant by the way. Where on Earth do you store all of your larger items ? That Emperor Dalek must take up a huge amount of garage space, as well as your other full sized props.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 09:47 PM   #37
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

@skororu - Nice to meet you and say "hello" to the artist! I really do like those renders of the flight deck you've done. Hey, you could beat me to it and get the whole flight deck 3D printed ... full size of course!!

@Slate - Yes, thanks and storage, in that order!!
Old 24-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #38
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Oops, just about a month since my last update! I was "on holiday" for the first three weeks (working on some bits to display at Smallspace), but that's enough slacking, on with the job!

I've now got a rough version of the inside of the chair done - a piece of bendy MDF for the undulating back piece and everything covered with layers of plastazote (to give me the required thickness), which has been "painted" with fibreglass matting resin to harden the surface.

Next up is the "saddle", then I can start smoothing everything out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1437724389108.jpg (56.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1437724422551.jpg (69.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1437724460336.jpg (50.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1437724466986.jpg (66.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1437724475221.jpg (57.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1437724482850.jpg (62.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1437724489075.jpg (39.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1437724497954.jpg (38.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 27-07-2015, 09:15 PM   #39
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

I've been working on the "saddle", making and comparing a test version out of card and transferring it to ABS sheet and filler when I was happy with the shape and position.

I have also been testing size and placement of the circular pieces of foam. It looks like they were 6" in diameter and 2" high (or thereabouts).

The plastazote has been given another couple of coats of matting resin, so it will be hard enough to fill and sand ... and that starts tomorrow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6071.JPG (103.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6072.JPG (54.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6076.JPG (78.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6077.JPG (71.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6078.JPG (117.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg knobby compare 2.jpg (15.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 13-08-2015, 11:21 PM   #40
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

Well, I've been having a lot of fun since my last post!

I've added the sloping sides to the "saddle" and blended it all in. I've also rounded off the very sharp edge I'd made around the perimeter.

Some new fibreglass supplies have arrived, so I can get on with making the moulds for this bit.

More soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6129.JPG (52.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6133.JPG (58.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6140.JPG (52.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6152.JPG (34.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6154.JPG (69.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6155.JPG (58.6 KB, 10 views)