Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Anderson - Reference Section, Member Builds and Detailing > Thunderbirds > Thunderbird 3

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 27-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
atemylunch
Hydroponics Technician

Default Looking for info on TB-3.

I've been looking all over for in TB-3. It's kind of tough to find something concrete on the studio scale models.
I'm sure somebody here will have some answers.

What were the SSM sizes?
Is there any really good references/drawings?
Anybody have any CAD references/cg models?
atemylunch is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

There are many good profile photos of TB3. It would be very easy to simply print up one of these photos to the size you want and use it as a plan.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

this is the one I like and think would be a good size for a replica, I wish I had space for the huge one

I measure the top part of the Airfix dapol triangle piece to be 69mm you blow the photo up to that size, then roughly gauge the size of the model, although I hope someone comes along whos already done it too

cheers

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

couple more I hope these are the same scale miniature

Mike
Old 27-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

and a few more of TB3 landing

Mike

Old 06-09-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
MoonWatcher7
Alphan

Default Thank you.

Can anyone tell me whether the "3", (the Thunderbird indentification number), appears on all three lower fuselage areas? From some pictures of TB3 the "3" only appears twice? The Thunderbird 3 launch sequence in the first feature film, 'Thunderbirds Are`Go!' was excellent.

Thank you.

Mark.

Last edited by MoonWatcher7; 06-09-2008 at 04:01 PM.
MoonWatcher7 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

I think it has 2, with one side blank,

you can just see the other no 3 in this shot

Mike
Old 06-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

Usually just on two sides, but things do change and if memory serves the big model in the launch silo has a vertical no 3 which never appeared on the other models.

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
hwels
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
Usually just on two sides, but things do change and if memory serves the big model in the launch silo has a vertical no 3 which never appeared on the other models.
Just checked some pics, like those on page 31 in the 'Century 21 fx' book by Alan Shubrook.
You'll find a vertical 3, a downward facing 3 and an upward facing 3 on this page. Different models, different orientations?
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #10
uncle bill
Astrophysics Technician

I would suggest that the 3 different 3s allow the model to be filmed always showing a correctly orientated number.
uncle bill is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #11
Communications Officer

I wonder if any originals were ever rescued from the skip?
29390 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #12
MoonWatcher7
Alphan

Default Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle bill View Post
I would suggest that the 3 different 3s allow the model to be filmed always showing a correctly orientated number.
Those were my feelings exactly Uncle Bill, I wonder what the original TB3 Specification Sheet shows? It was included as an extra feature on one of the Thunderbirds DVD's. If I remember rightly, that page wouldn't allow the picture to be enlarged with the 'zoom' key function, so the detail was a little small. Perhaps the 'Spec Sheets' are viewable elsewhere? Thanks again for all your quick and helpful replies.

Mark.
MoonWatcher7 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
hwels
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWatcher7 View Post
Those were my feelings exactly Uncle Bill, I wonder what the original TB3 Specification Sheet shows? It was included as an extra feature on one of the Thunderbirds DVD's. If I remember rightly, that page wouldn't allow the picture to be enlarged with the 'zoom' key function, so the detail was a little small. Perhaps the 'Spec Sheets' are viewable elsewhere? Thanks again for all your quick and helpful replies.

Mark.
The b&w spec sheet pics I could find are only showing upward facing 3's.

Hans
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #14
atemylunch
Hydroponics Technician

Thanks guys for keeping this going.

I figure it's best to go with what showed up on screen. It is funny how the 3 got reoriented, one would assume somebody would have looked at one of the other models for reference. But then who knows what techniques Meddings used to keep his guys going.

Is there anything else on the large TB3?
(I'll assume it's lost to history, it is such a tragedy for all of the Cent. 21 stuff.)
Old 22-09-2008, 06:59 AM   #15
Spacecraft Guy
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by atemylunch View Post
I've been looking all over for in TB-3. It's kind of tough to find something concrete on the studio scale models.
I'm sure somebody here will have some answers.

What were the SSM sizes?
Is there any really good references/drawings?
Anybody have any CAD references/cg models?
Try starting here, the Supermarionation website has blueprints that you may find useful -

http://supermarionation.tv/frameset/frames.html

As far as good references/drawings, it all depends on your point of view - the studio models weren't consistent throughout the run of the show and the movies. I've read on this board that the models that are considered "definitive" are the ones shown in the opening and closing title sequences, though I think that the 6 foot version of TB-3 was one of the best that was made for the series.

I've also been looking for blueprints and references on the Thunderbird craft, and most of what I've found is in Japanese reference books. The blueprints that I've found aren't consistent and according to fellow members of this board aren't accurate - they are "best
guess" estimates. I have "The Complete Book of Thunderbirds" and the Graham Bleatham "FAB cutaway" books as well, but I don't know what is considered "canon" or "Gerry Anderson approved," hopefully someone on this board in the know can set the record straight.

The one Japanese-sourced book that I have that has in my estimation the best blueprints and photo references is titled "Classic Thunderbirds" and has a red colored dust jacket with pictures of the TB craft superimposed over their blueprints. This book has dimentioned blueprints of all the Thunderbirds along with FAB-1 (including the several versions of
TB-2), as well as parts sources for the studio models and their hangars/silos/launch bays, photos of the models being filmed (including several of TB-3 being filmed with the nose cone section above the docking collar removed - one of TB-3 in her silo, the other with the model mounted to some sort of board) as well as a color section with the spec sheets mentioned previously and photos of the models as seen in the closing credits. I don't read Japanese so I can't tell you about the text or what the actual title of the book is, best I can do is give you the book infor that I can read - ISBN number ISBN 4-575-29728-3, copyright date 2004, publisher Futabasha.

I'm hoping that someone here also has this book and can provide information about how accurate it is - I think that it the book that has come the closest that I've been able to find, and I've been looking since 1967.
Spacecraft Guy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #16
atemylunch
Hydroponics Technician

Thanks for the reply SG, I have that book. it is a help.
Looking since 67? That's my lifetime.

Here is a CAD model.

It's designed as a 1/48 scale model based on 287' making it about 71.75" high.
Would I be correct in the guess that it's the size of the large SSM?
Old 24-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #17
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

6ft tall it was (is?) so how does that equate to 71.75"..... 6 x 12 = 72, so yep that's about right.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #18
atemylunch
Hydroponics Technician

That was my figuring as well. But then again you never know, I've seen a lot of fights over fractions in this hobby. It's only a model, done for fun.

Were there any kit parts of note on the 6' TB3?
Old 27-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #19
Angelo
Life Support Technician

Is this of any use?

It shows, obviously, the big studio model along side a lot of full size equipment.
Angelo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #20
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Great shot of a brilliant set. Yep, that's the 6fter.... I love the caption under the photo "Thunderbird 3 is prepared for launching in the special effects department." You will believe that a model can fly I must say, I'd be pooing myself as a SFX guy if that thing was flying around the SFX department.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote