Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Anderson - Reference Section, Member Builds and Detailing > Stingray > Member Builds

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 31-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #21
badsimmonds
Forum Supporter

Hi Patrick

I was at one time thinking of just painting the windows but I knew it wouldn't look right for a shelf model. Even at this stage I occasionally think I should have gone down that path.
You know my thoughts on interiors and at present I have no intention of having any. One can buy a complete interior which I was very tempted but I just didn't want to spend the extra money though that could change, whatever I do it will just be one colour like Fireball Jnr.
There is a lot of sanding and filling with this model as its plain all over and will show any defects so I'm not looking forward to the final paint day, though that is sometime away.
I have done more to the model than I've shown but I'm spreading out the updates as progress is very slow on this build. It won't be helped with the plan to completely gut the kitchen which will start as soon as I get back from Scotland in a couple of weeks.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:51 AM   #22
crysmarye
Alphan

Keep on keeping going, and we'll stand by for (more) action!
crys marye
hr@ pro dissertation writing service uk
crysmarye is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #23
badsimmonds
Forum Supporter

There's time for just one more update before I go to Scotland.
I have a habit of jumping around on my models and this is no exception. I could concentrate on one part but while I'm waiting for something to dry I'll start on something else.
I kept on forgetting about the Aqua sprites but its time to bite the bullet and make more holes in the model.
Again you can buy Aqua Sprites for this size of model but as its down to money I decided not to buy. After setting out I started to cut out the hole using my mini drill. Fortunately before I stuck the two body sections together I fitted some wood blocks where the Sprites should be so I would have something solid to anchor them to.
Once the hole was about right I cut a ping pong ball in half and hot glued one piece in the hole.
I then cut away the excess and filled and sanded to get rid of the gaps, I did the same for the other side.
The kit comes with a clear canopy and surround so apart from fitting a few details there is not much to else to do with them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6541.JPG (118.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6544.JPG (117.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6546.JPG (114.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6549.JPG (112.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6557.JPG (116.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 19-02-2017, 11:07 AM   #24
badsimmonds
Forum Supporter

The two large cabin fins are next, to get them ready I sanded and filled any bubbles that were present and after a few coats of primer it was time to fit them.
I stupidly thought I could just glue them in place and when that unsurprisingly failed it was time for plan B which should have been plan A. I drilled a couple of holes in the end of the fins and glued cut down panel pins in them. I then drilled corresponding holes in the cabin and sanded the area flat for a better gluing area.
It took a bit of time to get the correct angle so I did one fin at a time. Once dry it was the usual filler/sand/prime.
The progress on this model is slow as I only spend a few minutes on it at any time plus in a few days I'll be starting to gut the kitchen which will slow things down even more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6559.JPG (121.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6565.JPG (114.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6569.JPG (115.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6567.JPG (119.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6576.JPG (114.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 20-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #25
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default The shape of fins to come......

Tremendous Malcolm, absolutely tremendous. Hopefully she'll stand up to some rough handling - are the fins quite brittle? Or is the material tough enough to stand up to a bit of a bump?

I didn't have a chance to comment on your previous post so, two things -

Congratulations on having the foresight to fix some wood inside the hull before you joined both halves - textbook badsimmonds - and, just as good, a pingpong ball to create the shape of the recesses in the hull. A bits nd bobs man after my own heart.

Good luck with the kitchen - I thought you weren't going to do interiors on this one, but I guess the lads would have to have a galley to prepare food during those long missions.......will you fashion a tiny microwave and kettle?

Seriously though, hope all goes well with the lifesize kitchen,

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #26
badsimmonds
Forum Supporter

Hi Patrick

This project is one of the slowest I've done mostly because its winter and its far too cold to get motivated in the garage.
The fins made from resin are quite strong, in fact this was proved the other day when the cabin slipped out my hand and fell on the concrete floor. The fins were ok but the port side of the cabin was smashed. This is the side I've repaired a few times because the window frames are thin and if you put too much pressure on them they break.
The area under the windows was split and pieces were missing, I've no idea where they disappeared to.
Currently anytime I spend on this model is repairing the damage, I'll post some photos later.
I seem to have no luck as the previous model (TB1) had an accident as well. I knew I'd probably drop the cabin at some time but I was always hoping it wouldn't happen.
Old 22-02-2017, 03:29 PM   #27
badsimmonds
Forum Supporter

Here are some photos of the damaged cabin after I dropped it on the garage floor. The area under the windows was badly cracked and doesn't show up in the photos.
The port side was badly damaged as you can see. Over the past few days I've been repairing it, as some pieces are missing I glued some strips of fibreglass were the gaps were. Then I covered them in P38 and sanded/filled/sprayed until I'm more or less back where I was last week.
There is still more sanding and spraying to do but it doesn't look too bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6625.JPG (119.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6626.JPG (114.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6627.JPG (115.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6640.JPG (116.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6645.JPG (116.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 22-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #28
TerraForm1
Astrophysics Technician

I'm always impressed by how you take everything in stride and figure out a 'plan B', undaunted. As always, thanks for sharing your build.
TerraForm1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 05:17 PM   #29
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Sentiments echoed....

Many people post wonderful pictures of their progress and rightly so, but with badsimmonds you get everything, good days and bad days alike. I couldn't do a tenth of what this man gets through with a project, which is one of the main reasons why I love watching it all take shape.

Well done Malcolm!

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 08:24 AM   #30
badsimmonds
Forum Supporter

Many thanks for your comments. I must admit there were a few choice words floating round the garage when it happened. I've dropped a few bits in my time and sometimes your lucky with no damage and other times......
The work on the kitchen has started so things have slowed down even more if thats possible. There is not much left to do on this model which means it will soon be painting time which I am dreading as its a completely smooth model and all the problems that brings up.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #31
badsimmonds
Forum Supporter

This will be the last update for a while as I'm in full swing with the kitchen work. This update was done a few weeks ago but I've been too busy to post it as I don't have enough spare time.
The periscope was next on the list and I decided I wanted it to move slightly and at the very least be removable for any moves that will happen in a year or two.
I first cut off the existing periscope and drilled a hole that would take a hollow tube. The tube was a cut down loo seat 'hinge' as it was about the right diameter, all I had to do to it was re-drill the centre out to increase the hole size. For the rest of the scope I used some aluminium tubing which will not be glued in place, there will be a smaller tube which will fit inside this one and the actual scope itself will be on the end of this thinner tube later on.
I once again used the tape/filler method so the whole assembly would fit the cabin roof contours.
After that it was sanding and spraying as usual. This item won't be glued to the roof until after the final painting as that will give me a nice clean paint join.
That's it for now, unfortunately there isn't enough room in the garage to store the old/new kitchen and work on the model. I imagine it will be sometime before I can get back to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6580.JPG (116.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6585.JPG (119.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6587.JPG (119.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6598.JPG (118.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6601.JPG (114.1 KB, 18 views)