Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > The Monitor

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 31-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Default DINKY CATALOGUES THE ANDERSON YEARS!

There have been a few recent threads and discussions about the the old Anderson Dinky toys. For good or bad these toys are perhaps the most closely linked in all our memories to our childhood love of Gerry's shows and a desire to own the models from them. Some were amazingly accurate while others maybe missed the target a little. However the weight of them and their sturdiness really appealed to me as a kid. The box art was always gorgeous too especially those with the little inner display plinth. Certainly for me my first introduction to many were through the window of the toy shop and the pages of the current Dinky Catalogues which our local toyshop sold, or gave away if you'd spent a few quid with them. I have almost all of the ones with Anderson content and thought it an idea to share some images. Obviously the covers are widely seen but maybe not the inner pages. Some are mine from a kid while others have been bought over the years. I tried to squeeze them into as few scans as possible so I apologise for the bits slightly missing and the random placing of some of them to make them fit. If anyone wants closer or better ones give me a shout. Wasn't this THE way to promote toys back then!!! I dropped in the Ed Bishop shot too as this is a promo card thing he apparently gave away when he was out promoting the toys in stores or at events on the early 1970s. I'd have loved to have seen him back then at my local toy shop or whatever. Just for info these images are from catalogues 4,5,7,10,11,12,13 and 14.

Last edited by Jim Lewis; 31-12-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
akoenig
Astrophysics Technician

How could I bribe you to get hi-res scans of that?????
akoenig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

No bribes at all mate. What ones do you want and it what res. I can drop them into a PM no worry. Don't want to do it here as it takes up a ton of space I beleive. If anyone is interested I also have many of the Meccano magazine reveiews for the various Anderson releases which are quite nice as they were 'at the time' if you know what I mean as opposed to a retrospective review.
Old 31-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

That's a great picture of Ed.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Hawk
Communications Officer

Living in the states, when I got my first Dinky catalog the only thing I recognized in it were the Eagle and vehicles from UFO. I was fascinated by Thunderbird 2, but--without the Internet--had no real way to get any information on it. I always wondered what the stories behind all the other highly imaginative vehicles in that catalog were. Sadly, I never owned a Dinky model of any sort (still don't).
Hawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
That's a great picture of Ed.
It is, but he does look rather sheepish holding the toys.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I have a couple of those DInky catalogues still. They sold the toys so well...or at least made you want them so much. I used to drool over these toys... never got them...until very recently
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

As a kid those little catalogues and the ones for ACTION MAN and MAJOR MATT MASON too really used to enthral me. They seemed to use beautiful illustrations or photographs which immediately tapped into the mind of a young kid and made you want the toys even more. Many of the lines we have talked about recently went for this small catalogue thing inside the packaging and that was almost as big a deal for me as a kid as the toy itself being able to see what other stuff I may be able to ask for next birthday or Christmas. Obviously the advertising and marketing people really knew their stuff. The colour and layouts really are still so appealing so it was certainly a case of 'job done' for those responsible for them. Glad some of you have enjoyed looking these over again.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
dazzo
Eagle Pilot

Hey i had that spacesuit as well!
dazzo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
Dave
Communications Officer

Thanks for posting these. I remember as a kid being totally amazed by these Dinky books - and I saw them after the toys had long gone from the shelves, which made it even more frustrating!
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

That kid in the space suit looks great too. I had the helmet on its own but never the whole suit. Lucky little git!!!!! Here is another nice little Dinky Anderson thing. A flyer that toy shops would have little piles of to promote certain lines. A fork lift trck and a Michigan Digger on the other side but I know what would have attracted our attentions back then!!

Or how about these lovely covers to Meccano magazines. Century 21 and Dinky co-ordinated this advertising superbly.

Another big attraction for me with old toys and packaging is the lack of uniformity and often the different art used by even the same company on various occasions. Today it is all about corporate image and continuity and identity. I wandered around Woolworths or wherever when the last lot of 'SCARLET' and THUNDERBIRDS stuff was out and it all just became a blur of uniform mediocrity in terms of design, 'branding' and packaging. Back when most of us were kids companies were encouraged to make a splash with colour and art and as long as the official logo and type face was used they were pretty much allowed to do as they wish. (Sometimes even those elements went by the wayside but with some nice art and a bit of colour who cared!)This means a collection of vintage Anderson toys looks far more varied and fresh than what kids had to take recently.

Last edited by Jim Lewis; 01-01-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:49 AM   #12
A Study in Scarlet
Computer Technician

Now you're talking!!

There was a shop in Barnet,called Howards and it was one of those wonderful old shops that simply do nt exist anymore.Double-fronted,it carried those glue-on plastic banners for Corgi Toys and Ever ready batteries.The side window was always full of air rifles and pistols and legend has it that if you ventured to the back there was a shooting range.Though I never did.Too much going on inside the shop for that.

Airfix,Subbuteo,Matchbox,Howards had the full ranges of them all.It was run by a rather rotund Gentleman and always had the most wonderful aroma of stale tobacco and cardboard.Every now and then i ll get a whiff of that somewhere and be instantly transported back to the interior of the shop,all perforated hardboard,shelves decorated with that Dinky Toys tape round the edges and the Dinky Toys,brand new and resplendent in what to me is some of the finest packaging in history those plinth trays.Not good from a collectors point of view now because the models plinths and boxes were bound with an elastic band,but from a 5-year-olds perspective it was great!!When you bought a model he d take the time to demonstrate all the working features to you as well- I bought FAB 1 from there ands i still remember the indentations as he fired the harpoons into his hand!!
A Study in Scarlet is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #13
Dunc1
Geological Technician

Default Days Gone By

Very sad that the individual model shop has almost vanished off the face of the earth. I can virtually picture the gentleman you describe in my mind. There was a little shop called Greenaways in Long Ditton in cycling distance from where I lived. The shop was run by a man who was quite a character. He was the only person I knew who sold the Aurora Horror model kits. They were quite expensive but I and my friends next door Giles and Dominic Masters collected them. Giles, Dom and brother Adam are the sons of Tony Masters, one of the Production Designers on 2001 and are all prominent in the Film and Television industry. I have still got my kits and have recently bought the revamped Jeckyl and Hyde Mobius kit and the Invisible Man one, although I haven't a clue as to when I will find time to make them. The equivalent of these shops today is Modelzone. No disrespect to them but I have found when dealing with many of their staff that their heart is just not in it i.e it is just a job to them and there is no passion. I only get a few models every now and again as I am rapidly running out of space. Someone recently published a book on the history of Airfix featuring a great deal of artwork from the Airfix boxes. It would be great if someone could do the same with the Dinky ads, especially the ones dealing with the Gerry Models.
Dunc1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #14
captainjamie
Communications Officer

Thanks for posting these, brings a nice warm feeling.

Has anyone seen James May's Top Toys? I love the bit where he gives a class of kids a 1950s Meccano set and they fail to build it or spot the mistakes.
captainjamie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
captainjamie
Communications Officer

I was purring all the way through the show, especially about the Airfix model box covers. Yes, I read Commando stories as a kid That Meccano thing seems to say something sad. I might not be all that good at the actual doing but my mind is sharp enough to work out alternatives when things don't go to plan or the instructions don't match.

Something for 2009 - I will try more model making!

Old 02-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #16
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_D View Post
James May's Top Toys was brilliant. I loved the part when he went to the auction for the rare Hornby Train set and then threw the box away after he had paid for it.

PS. My parents sometimes pick up rare Revell, Monogram and Aurora kits. In future we are going to advertise them on here, rather than eBay!!
That was a really good bit.

I wonder if that guy who did the Airfix artwork has ever thought in doing a book of the artwork or releasing them in print form. It was sad the alterations that were made like the Ju-88 without the bombs and smoke.

Talking of Dinky, I used to have that road sweeper.... damn I feel old.
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:56 AM   #17
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_D View Post
James May's Top Toys was brilliant. I loved the part when he went to the auction for the rare Hornby Train set and then threw the box away after he had paid for it.

PS. My parents sometimes pick up rare Revell, Monogram and Aurora kits. In future we are going to advertise them on here, rather than eBay!!
One of our Toy shop guys was actually in Scotland when that aired. He took a tape and brought it back to AU and we all sat glued to it. Loved it. The box thing was ok, but although I completely agreed with him about toys needing to be taken out of the box, to throw them away was like throwing big money in the bin. I'll guarantee you someone rescued those boxes, and were very happy to do so... in fact the camera crew may have done so. I doubt the presenter was that silly as to leave them there.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #18
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Obviously having parents who deal in Airfix provides you with a wealth of knowledge to tap into and share here.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #19
captainjamie
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
That was a really good bit.

I wonder if that guy who did the Airfix artwork has ever thought in doing a book of the artwork or releasing them in print form. It was sad the alterations that were made like the Ju-88 without the bombs and smoke.
I wonder if anyone has ever mentioned that idea to him? I'd be interested in owning such a book.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #20
Dunc1
Geological Technician

Default Many Thanks

Many Thanks for the information Claire. I have just acquired an Airfix Angel Interceptor kit for 20. Big question is do I make it up or leave it in it's box? Is it worth more unconstructed?
Dunc1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote