Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Star Wars

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 14-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #21
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Well , Lucas DID write the outlines for both of those and to the best of my knowledge , he directed "Phantom Menace " as well .
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #22
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
Well , Lucas DID write the outlines for both of those and to the best of my knowledge , he directed "Phantom Menace " as well .
Nope. A story outline isn't writing....the only one he actually wrote was the first one. Most of phantom was also directed by others.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #23
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Salad View Post
Nope. A story outline isn't writing....the only one he actually wrote was the first one. Most of phantom was also directed by others.
Well , I did actually say "story outline " ( which , like it or not does count as "writing " , even though OTHER writers are employed to re-write , polish , add dialogue , etc ) and I'm sorry , but he IS credited as Director of "The Phantom Menace " , fact .
Old 16-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #24
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
Well , I did actually say "story outline " ( which , like it or not does count as "writing " , even though OTHER writers are employed to re-write , polish , add dialogue , etc ) and I'm sorry , but he IS credited as Director of "The Phantom Menace " , fact .
You just can't get away from the fact that he really did write and direct the first one. You have to look at the other films he directed, as well: those worked out pretty well.

Most of the issues of late have had to do with writing: bad dialogue, bad logic and so on. Those don't come from george.

I'm pretty sure that the issues with other films have to do with a lack of people around him to serve as editors....unfortunately, after Empire marcia left him and he pretty much surrounded himself with people who would not tell him when his ideas are bad. The trick to looking good is editing: nobody has nothing but great ideas, the ones that seem that way have good editors.

Last edited by Ham Salad; 16-11-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 16-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #25
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

I'm sorry , but I don't really know where this is going . I at no point tried to "get away " from the fact that he wrote and directed "the first" Star Wars ( it's still that to me !) . I actually agree with some of your points , problems with the prequels ( which as I've previously stated , I enjoyed ) lie in the writing ( whether that be outlines or whatever ) and the blame for that lies at Georges feet , because for good or bad , it's his "thing " . I am not criticising George for this , it's simply the way it is . ( I've been in many internet "discussions" about Star Wars and have been branded an " apologist " on more than one occasion ). He's the boss , so the buck stops with him . BUT, critics let this overshadow the many GOOD things about the prequels ( and of those there are many ) and I personally think he has a pretty good batting average . Anyway , I didn't want to get involved in another of these threads on this subject because at the end of the day , people have ( quite rightly ) their opinion on Star Wars and Lucas in particular and these opinions will never change . I'm not "throwing my toys out of the pram " , but with the greatest respect to all the other posters on this thread , I'm unsubscibing because these threads all end up going in circles !
But I'll leave you with this . In my opinion , the Disney " buy out " is the best news I've heard in a long while . Disney would not pay 4.5 BILLION dollars for a property and then BALLS IT UP . ( Despite doing so with "John Carter " ). Thank you and goodnight .

Old 17-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #26
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Well, it does mean there will be more star wars...the only issue is whether they 'get it', or whether the concept will end up being watered down in some way.