Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Star Wars

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 13-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Default Republic D-Wing "Arrowhead" Fighter

Talk about a thread Back from the Dead ! As I've gotten back into Star Wars scratchbuilding with my " Republic Light Interdiction Cruiser " ( look it up readers/viewers !) I thought I'd upgrade the "D-Wing" ( new designation "Arrowhead") . The ship still looks pretty good ( in my humble opinion ) and still in good condition ( considering it's been kicking 'round my son's bedroom !) , but I think it'd benefit from some better weaponry and some internal/cockpit detail .
First of all , I cut away the blank canopy with a razor saw and used my Dremmel to cut out the window area .

I then started to put together the cockpit interior and pilot seat with styrene sheet .

Adding detail and test fitting the cockpit . I had to keep checking as I built , to make sure the " bucket " fit !

Checking the fit of the canopy .

Next , I added glazing to the canopy frame ( using clear plastic packaging ). I've used double-sided tape as a temporary fix , until my " Clear-Fix " appears from the black hole which is my " modelling shed " !
I've also added some " padding " to the seat , using Milliput .

Here I've beefed up the ship's firepower and added some " X-Wing " style laser cannon .

P.s , this model originally appeared a few years ago and is still in the "Dragons Domain" section of the board .

Last edited by thundergod; 13-04-2013 at 11:54 PM.
thundergod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Digging out an "old" build to better it....... Your on a roll now..
I do like sir.... very much.
...and now you give me another thread to follow closely.

Thanks..
LOL...
Regards Andy
wappynutter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Pleased with the amount of work I've managed to get done last night and today . Built and painted up the cockpit and added a brass rod joystick to the seat .

( Excuse the glossy look of the seat , the pic was taken before I'd added a matt coat ).

Here I'm in the process of adding some side panels to the cockpit . I've intentionally kept the detail quite basic , just giving the impression of "busy-ness" as I'm thinking of tinting the clear parts of the canopy and "super-detailing " would be a waste of time . ( That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ! )

This is how the cockpit looks as I'm test fitting the seat . I still need to do a bit of "dry-brushing" on the side panels and general touching up of the paintwork in general .

And here's how the "Arrowhead's" shaping up .

I estimate just a couple more nights work on the ship before I can call it done . As well as adding an R2 ( still undecided on a colour scheme for him !) I need to straighten out a couple of wonky parts .

( p.s Andy , when are you going to pull 'yer finger out and get building something ? )
Old 14-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
wappynutter
Weapons Technician

Looking better now....
...and Urmmm yeah I should have a go at something really..
Got my little 70's Saturday morning build to post up but I have a 2 week holiday to the south of France i'm planning for at the moment
( 2 weeks till I drive across Europe with the Mrs and kids and a couple of oldies )...
And anyways i'm too busy following your work..
Are you using an airbrush or hand painting all these builds?
Is the cockpit going to have a pilot?
Good luck with your building my friend, and very brave to open up and re-build a completed piece.... will you be giving it a re-spray and re-weather too?
LOL.... ignore the last sentence, Why would you ruin a good paintjob when a quick flash over the canopy and guns will do..

Regards Andy

Last edited by wappynutter; 14-04-2013 at 10:51 PM.
wappynutter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by wappynutter View Post
Looking better now....
...and Urmmm yeah I should have a go at something really..
Got my little 70's Saturday morning build to post up but I have a 2 week holiday to the south of France i'm planning for at the moment
( 2 weeks till I drive across Europe with the Mrs and kids and a couple of oldies )...
And anyways i'm too busy following your work..
Are you using an airbrush or hand painting all these builds?
Is the cockpit going to have a pilot?
Good luck with your building my friend, and very brave to open up and re-build a completed piece.... will you be giving it a re-spray and re-weather too?
LOL.... ignore the last sentence, Why would you ruin a good paintjob when a quick flash over the canopy and guns will do..

Regards Andy
Cheers Andy . Paint-wise , I'm using spray cans at the moment . I do have airbrushes , but I had two compressors pack in within twelve months of each other and current finances being what they are , I've not really had the resources to replace them . as for any re-painting of the Arrowhead , it depends on what I can get away with . I'll most likely mask off the majority of the paint-job and re-spray the bits I'm tweaking . ( Does that make sense ? ) . What's the "70's Saturday morning build ? A TISWAS diorama ? And enjoy the road trip !

Old 19-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Not had a lot of time this week for working on the ship(s) , but I've been able to fit some landing gear .
Old 13-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
thundergod
Astrophysics Technician

Finally got round to adding an R2 unit ( designation R2B5 ) , one of a few which were kindly provided by a forum member , unfortunately, ( and shamefully !) whos' name I can't remember ( well it was 3 or 4 years ago , sorry ).

And I know this isn't technically the right place for this sort of thing , but here's the ( Wip )1/6 scale version of R2B5 and his Clone Pilot " Moneyshot " .

Old 13-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
Howard
Deputy Commander

You know, I've been following this build since the onset.
I really admire what you've done here - especially the colour / weathering work, which is top notch!
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote